Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Boy Scout Leaders Topple Ancient Rock Formation In Utah's Goblin Valley State Park, Say They Were Trying to Save Children

Posted by   + Show Post

Boy Scout Leaders Topple Ancient Rock Formation In Utah's Goblin Valley State Park (VIDEO)

The Huffington Post  |  By Posted:   |  Updated: 10/19/2013 2:15 pm EDT

The stone formation they destroyed was nearly 200 million years old, but the Boy Scout leaders who toppled it claim it posed an imminent threat.

The 3 men responsible, who filmed their activity in Utah's Goblin Valley State Park and uploaded the footage to Facebook, may face felony charges.

A copy of the video was posted on YouTube by the Salt Lake Tribune and shows a scene of giddy revelry. One of the men, "Glenn," is seen attempting to push over one of the park's signature stone formations, known as "goblins." When Glenn can't budge the rock, the man filming tells him to "wiggle it." He shifts position and pushes again; seconds later the delicate buttress that held the boulder aloft gives way, and the massive stone topples over.

"We have now modified Goblin Valley," one of the men says in the video, soliciting a cheer from the man behind him. "A new Goblin Valley exists, with, uh, this boulder down here [at] the bottom," he elaborates, pointing the camera at the large rock now resting below its former perch.

"Some little kid was about ready to walk down here and die," the cameraman continues. "Glenn saved his life by getting the boulder out of the way. So, it's all about saving lives here at Goblin Valley."

Reached for comment by the Salt Lake Tribune, Glenn Taylor, the man who pushed the rock over, maintained they thought they'd done a civic service, though he expressed regret for not having contacted a park ranger.

"I put my hand on a rock and it moved," he told the paper. "While we were sitting right there we thought, ‘Man if this rock falls it'll kill them.’ I didn't have to push hard."

Fox13 adds the 3 men were on a church camp-out when the incident occurred. The Emery County Attorney is considering filing felony charges, in which case Taylor's position with the Boy Scouts would be revoked.

The "goblin" the group knocked over, also known as a "hoodoo," forms when a harder rock sits atop softer rock. Over millions of years, the harder rock on top protects the softer stone directly beneath it. The soft matter elsewhere erodes, leaving behind a pinnacle. Rocks in Goblin Valley date back to the late Jurassic period, around 160 million years ago.

UPDATE: 3:45 p.m. -- In a statement to The Huffington Post, Deron Smith, the PR director for Boy Scouts of America, emphasized the organization's focus on teaching respectable outdoor stewardship:

We are shocked and disappointed by this reprehensible behavior. For more than a century, the Boy Scouts of America has been a leader in conservation—from stewardship to sustainability. We teach our 2.6 million youth members and 1.1 million adult members, who collectively spend more than 5.5 million nights outdoors, the principles of "Leave No Trace."

These principles stress a commitment to maintaining the integrity and character of the outdoors and all living things. The isolated actions of these individuals are absolutely counter to our beliefs and what we teach. We are reviewing this matter and will take appropriate action.

WATCH the Fox13 report on the incident, below:

Also on HuffPost:

National Woman's Party

by on Oct. 19, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Replies (41-50):
finnbar
by Silver Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:55 AM
If he is this mentally incompetant he needs to be locked up for the good of society

Quoting lizzielouaf:Mental I'm guessing. 
Quoting jllcali:What disability does he have

Quoting Mipsy:So its beend found that the guy who did this claimed in a lawsuit he was disabled. Theres some video of him being confronted by a reporter i guess.

kcangel63
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:55 AM
Kids aren't raised to respect, or to have any common sense. Unfortunately, a lot of those raising those children are also leaders in school, church, activities, etc...

Example... Hubby and I went to a gun range yesterday at a conservation area. There was a large group of scouts there camping not far at all from the range. We were there, and four other people were there shooting. I had to stop at one point because the scouts (mind you, these were boys that were at least 15) were running up beside me as I was shooting! WTH!

No common sense!

Quoting Aestas:

Before I had kids, I was an avid backpacker, and I have to say, some of the worst experiences I have ever had with other backpackers involved Boy Scouts. I have come across Boy Scout troops who were totally unprepared and irresponsible, defacing natural formations, pissing directly into water sources (after walking straight through the middle of my camp to get there), leaving trash everywhere, staying up late and making tons of noise in areas with many other campers, and other awful behaviors, and the troop leaders were always right there and either doing nothing about it or actively participating themselves.

Now, to be fair, I've also encountered some lovely Boy Scouts and leaders who were respectful and knew what they were doing. But I've come across far more of the former type, unfortunately.

Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:15 AM
He got in a car accident in 2009 and filed a lawsuit against the girl who hit him last month saying its caused pain and suffering and he's now disabled from it blah blah blah

Quoting jllcali:

What disability does he have

Quoting Mipsy:

So its beend found that the guy who did this claimed in a lawsuit he was disabled. Theres some video of him being confronted by a reporter i guess.
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Well then....Her case just took a turn for the better.

Quoting Mipsy:

He got in a car accident in 2009 and filed a lawsuit against the girl who hit him last month saying its caused pain and suffering and he's now disabled from it blah blah blah

Quoting jllcali:

What disability does he have

Quoting Mipsy:

So its beend found that the guy who did this claimed in a lawsuit he was disabled. Theres some video of him being confronted by a reporter i guess.

National Woman's Party

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I'm speechless.

I hope they are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:26 AM
Um, because most people are not asshats who look at a rock formation that has stood for over 150 million years and think "hey, lets topple it over, that would be cool."

Quoting susannah2000:

They are jerks and dumbasses all right, but tell me, if the small  boulders were able to be moved merely by someone pushing on them, without crowbar or machine, how they wouldn't have been messed with long before now?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collectivecow
by Gold Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:36 AM

I'm pretty sure people have messed with them before...they just weren't dumb enough to film it.

Quoting LauraKW:
They haven't been messed with because nobody messed with them.
Quoting susannah2000:

They are jerks and dumbasses all right, but tell me, if the small  boulders were able to be moved merely by someone pushing on them, without crowbar or machine, how they wouldn't have been messed with long before now?

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Those people were idiots. I hope they are prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. They are an embarassment to the Boy Scout organization.

billsfan1104
by Jules on Oct. 20, 2013 at 3:43 PM
This is very sad, and their excuses are sad too. I do not believe them at all
survivorinohio
by René on Oct. 20, 2013 at 4:54 PM

This is awful :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN