Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The most unfriendly states in the Union

Posted by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM
  • 177 Replies
I've been in 49 states (out of the fifty) and while, I've never been to Alaska (and to be honest I've only been to Hawaii because the plane landed at the airport) I have had dealings of some sort of fashion in every state.

While; I know my experience doesn't constitute a (proven) fact. I feel I have spent enough time in these states that I list as "unfriendly" to feel justified in my belief in their "unfriendliness."

I feel (by far) that Oklahoma is the most unfriendly state. Honestly, it is the only state in the union where one is made to feel like a criminal, if one says, "Hello." I do understand that "hello" is just really just the big "O" next to "hell" and in the bible no where does God say "hello" to anyone. But, Why can't anyone from Oklahoma provide a friendly greeting of some sort to anyone that they don't know?

It's all the same from Boise City to Oklahoma City to Tulsa and down to the Red River area. It's not like I'm wearing a Longhorn t-shirt or such; but, I'm always made to feel unwelcome by anyone from that state.

If the whole state of Pennsylvania acted like the people in Philadelphia up through Scranton then Pennsylvania would top this list. Fortunately, the fine folks in the western part of that state truly understand how to be kind to a stranger; even if, that stranger has a funny ethnic accent.

So here is my top five unfriendly states:

1) Oklahoma
2) Pennsylvania
3) Massachusetts (especially the Boston area)
4) Michigan
5) Maryland (Baltimore is bad; but, Salisbury is worst ... I guess you get that way with Delaware always pooping on you)

What's your list?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Friday
by HRH of MJ on Oct. 20, 2013 at 6:52 PM

I haven't traveled much, just the Southern states and a couple of trips to NYC. The worst experience I have had regarding hospitality was in Tx. I don't know if they all just drive like crap or seeing our Cali license plate made us fair game but I grew up in the Los Angeles suburbs and the worst drivers I have seen were in Tx. Not to mention some of the attitudes that were thrown out when we didn't have a recognizable accent and they learned we were from Cali. They don't seem to like Californians much in Tx. Manhattan was quite welcoming compared to DFW.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

PEEPkiller
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 6:55 PM
3 moms liked this

I was born and raised in Oklahoma and I've always gotten a friendly smile or "hello" from strangers, as well as lots of gentleman willing to open the door for a lady. Just last night some biker dude offered me his spot in line at the store because I had my hands full. He only had one item in his hands.

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Oct. 20, 2013 at 6:57 PM
1 mom liked this
I disagree... With most of your list. LOL! I'm a militry kid now a military wife so we've lived all over as well.

Going off of your list, people in Oklahoma never bothered me. The traffic however SUCKS. I've never lived in Pennslyvania so I have no idea about that one. We have been to Boston and I loved it. They were by far the most accommodating to our Marine wives group but maybe it's because I'm Irish. My Dad's side of the family is mostly from Michigan and I disagree that they're unfriendly unless you're from Ohio and if that's the guess is be unfriendly too. Finally, we lived on Aberdeen PG in Maryland right outside of Baltimore and once again... Never treated badly or unfriendly.

My "unfriendly" states? (In no order)
- Hawaii. Depending on where you live and where you go if you aren't a native then you're treated like crap.
- New York. I dot know if the people there are unfriendly or just too busy to care. Of all the states I've lived in or travelled to NY state had the rudest people I've ever met.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Oct. 20, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Everyone in TX drives like a crazy person. I complain about it everytime I go out. It's horrible.

Quoting Friday:

I haven't traveled much, just the Southern states and a couple of trips to NYC. The worst experience I have had regarding hospitality was in Tx. I don't know if they all just drive like crap or seeing our Cali license plate made us fair game but I grew up in the Los Angeles suburbs and the worst drivers I have seen were in Tx. Not to mention some of the attitudes that were thrown out when we didn't have a recognizable accent and they learned we were from Cali. They don't seem to like Californians much in Tx. Manhattan was quite welcoming compared to DFW.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:00 PM
I would agree with you there; I grew up in South Gate and even though I've lived in Arizona some time now, I still feel I'm a basic So Cal girl.

But, the Dallas/ Ft Worth drivers seem wild to me too; yet, the Houston area is just plain scary when you drive next to those drivers.

Quoting Friday:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PrimmednPunked
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:03 PM
1 mom liked this

1.  Maryland I lived there for 5 years and hated that state

2.  Texas (I have heard Austin is nice but I have never been there)

3.  Kansas

4.  Oklahoma

5.  New Jersey

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Yeah, I understand what you're saying ... While my hubby was in the Air Force for some 23 years, he has been based in only two different bases Luke and Davis. Most of my travels around the country has been related to my job.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I disagree... With most of your list. LOL! I'm a militry kid now a military wife so we've lived all over as well.

Going off of your list, people in Oklahoma never bothered me. The traffic however SUCKS. I've never lived in Pennslyvania so I have no idea about that one. We have been to Boston and I loved it. They were by far the most accommodating to our Marine wives group but maybe it's because I'm Irish. My Dad's side of the family is mostly from Michigan and I disagree that they're unfriendly unless you're from Ohio and if that's the guess is be unfriendly too. Finally, we lived on Aberdeen PG in Maryland right outside of Baltimore and once again... Never treated badly or unfriendly.

My "unfriendly" states? (In no order)

- Hawaii. Depending on where you live and where you go if you aren't a native then you're treated like crap.

- New York. I dot know if the people there are unfriendly or just too busy to care. Of all the states I've lived in or travelled to NY state had the rudest people I've ever met.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collectivecow
by Gold Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:07 PM

Really Massachusetts? I loved MA!

andiemomo3
by Andie on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:13 PM
4 moms liked this

I haven't really found any states unfriendly. But I can also hold a conversation with a brick wall.  I am in TN.  I was also born and raised here.  My town is particular is very friendly. Every one says hello and looks you in the eye.

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:16 PM
You know I was debating between Maryland and New Jersey for some time. While Newark is weird Atlantic City has been nice and friendly to me.

Kansas City, Kansas sucks ... But being that close to Kansas City, MO doesn't help. Yet, Kansas having something like a 100 billion different strange museums in the state makes it seem a bit friendly for some reason.

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

1.  Maryland I lived there for 5 years and hated that state

2.  Texas (I have heard Austin is nice but I have never been there)

3.  Kansas

4.  Oklahoma

5.  New Jersey

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN