Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The most unfriendly states in the Union

Posted by   + Show Post
I've been in 49 states (out of the fifty) and while, I've never been to Alaska (and to be honest I've only been to Hawaii because the plane landed at the airport) I have had dealings of some sort of fashion in every state.

While; I know my experience doesn't constitute a (proven) fact. I feel I have spent enough time in these states that I list as "unfriendly" to feel justified in my belief in their "unfriendliness."

I feel (by far) that Oklahoma is the most unfriendly state. Honestly, it is the only state in the union where one is made to feel like a criminal, if one says, "Hello." I do understand that "hello" is just really just the big "O" next to "hell" and in the bible no where does God say "hello" to anyone. But, Why can't anyone from Oklahoma provide a friendly greeting of some sort to anyone that they don't know?

It's all the same from Boise City to Oklahoma City to Tulsa and down to the Red River area. It's not like I'm wearing a Longhorn t-shirt or such; but, I'm always made to feel unwelcome by anyone from that state.

If the whole state of Pennsylvania acted like the people in Philadelphia up through Scranton then Pennsylvania would top this list. Fortunately, the fine folks in the western part of that state truly understand how to be kind to a stranger; even if, that stranger has a funny ethnic accent.

So here is my top five unfriendly states:

1) Oklahoma
2) Pennsylvania
3) Massachusetts (especially the Boston area)
4) Michigan
5) Maryland (Baltimore is bad; but, Salisbury is worst ... I guess you get that way with Delaware always pooping on you)

What's your list?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Replies (171-177):
buttersworth
by Silver Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:30 PM

Massachusetts isn't really unfriendly. It's quite friendly. People are self-absorbed and either busy, make themselves busy, or want to believe they are too busy to talk to someone they don't know. However, friends are thick as thieves once they get to know someone.

You can't always go by first impressions.

When I lived in California, I thought everyone was super friendly. And they are. At first. But they are not loyal for one second. They are totally concerned with themselves and once a friend can't really benefit in any way from your friendship, you don't matter and either way they'll stab you in the back if it means the smallest bit of modicum for themselves.

I've been through Oklahoma been never spent time there nor the midwestern states. I do think about what's gone on in those places...I mean, didn't a lot of industries relocate out of the country? I would think the way those states have been ravaged, the natives there must be more than a bit jaded and suspicious of strangers. Just a thought.

Alaska seems to me, I've been twice and have close relatives there - seems to be a state with a mixture of two distinct personalities. One is the miser, who goes up there to make money off the various and rigorous industries, who can be selfish and greedy. The other is the sweetest, most sincere and down to earth people you'll ever meet. I like to think that the latter is predominant, and I think it is, but I haven't spent that much time there. Despite the hostile climate, either way the people are, they are definitely not hostile but generally friendly.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:32 PM

Quoting erika9009:

You are not driving fast enough........

Speed limits are guidelines, not laws.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley: Everyone in TX drives like a crazy person. I complain about it everytime I go out. It's horrible.
Quoting Friday:

I haven't traveled much, just the Southern states and a couple of trips to NYC. The worst experience I have had regarding hospitality was in Tx. I don't know if they all just drive like crap or seeing our Cali license plate made us fair game but I grew up in the Los Angeles suburbs and the worst drivers I have seen were in Tx. Not to mention some of the attitudes that were thrown out when we didn't have a recognizable accent and they learned we were from Cali. They don't seem to like Californians much in Tx. Manhattan was quite welcoming compared to DFW.

Guidelines and not laws?

When did I miss this??

erika9009
by Bronze Member on Jun. 17, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting erika9009:

You are not driving fast enough........

Speed limits are guidelines, not laws.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley: Everyone in TX drives like a crazy person. I complain about it everytime I go out. It's horrible.
Quoting Friday:

I haven't traveled much, just the Southern states and a couple of trips to NYC. The worst experience I have had regarding hospitality was in Tx. I don't know if they all just drive like crap or seeing our Cali license plate made us fair game but I grew up in the Los Angeles suburbs and the worst drivers I have seen were in Tx. Not to mention some of the attitudes that were thrown out when we didn't have a recognizable accent and they learned we were from Cali. They don't seem to like Californians much in Tx. Manhattan was quite welcoming compared to DFW.

Guidelines and not laws?

When did I miss this??

It was just sarcasm from things my husband used to say.  They are laws, but it is TX.  Many places are 70 mph outside the Austin area.

Erika..

The best things in life are not things.

skrbelly
by Bronze Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Everyone has their own opinion, based on experience. Interactions with a few people don't condemn the whole state. I've had good and bad experiences in a lot of states.
momof31995
by Silver Member on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Quoting Friday:

This is funny my husband is a truck driver and he comp;ains about drivers in Texas everytime he has to go there.

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Living in Boston and my Dad working in one. Massachusetts should rank number 1

GLWerth
by Gina on Jun. 19, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Freindly is such a subjective thing.

It is also dependent upon the local population.

For instance, Iowa is very friendly when one is visiting and yet, having lived in this small town for 12 years now, I have not a single close friend in town. Yet, while I lived in Illinois, people weren't as "Hi how are you" friendly, but I made close friends who I am still in contact with, well, 12 years later.

Maybe it has more to do with small towns and the fact that most of the people here were born and raised here...in this town, often in the same house they live in.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)