Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The most unfriendly states in the Union

Posted by   + Show Post
I've been in 49 states (out of the fifty) and while, I've never been to Alaska (and to be honest I've only been to Hawaii because the plane landed at the airport) I have had dealings of some sort of fashion in every state.

While; I know my experience doesn't constitute a (proven) fact. I feel I have spent enough time in these states that I list as "unfriendly" to feel justified in my belief in their "unfriendliness."

I feel (by far) that Oklahoma is the most unfriendly state. Honestly, it is the only state in the union where one is made to feel like a criminal, if one says, "Hello." I do understand that "hello" is just really just the big "O" next to "hell" and in the bible no where does God say "hello" to anyone. But, Why can't anyone from Oklahoma provide a friendly greeting of some sort to anyone that they don't know?

It's all the same from Boise City to Oklahoma City to Tulsa and down to the Red River area. It's not like I'm wearing a Longhorn t-shirt or such; but, I'm always made to feel unwelcome by anyone from that state.

If the whole state of Pennsylvania acted like the people in Philadelphia up through Scranton then Pennsylvania would top this list. Fortunately, the fine folks in the western part of that state truly understand how to be kind to a stranger; even if, that stranger has a funny ethnic accent.

So here is my top five unfriendly states:

1) Oklahoma
2) Pennsylvania
3) Massachusetts (especially the Boston area)
4) Michigan
5) Maryland (Baltimore is bad; but, Salisbury is worst ... I guess you get that way with Delaware always pooping on you)

What's your list?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Replies (11-20):
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:20 PM
I love most of the New England states ... Especially in the rural areas of those states. But, Massachusetts really comes across very snobbish to me.

Quoting collectivecow:

Really Massachusetts? I loved MA!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Grew up in Maryland and loved it.  My son lives in Annapolis and I love that too. 

Lived in PA for a couple years, loved it.

Lived in Virginia, not so great, super conservative

Live in Colorado and love it here.  I live in a very small mountain town.  (2,500 people)

Rebecca7708
by Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:43 PM

We lived in Oklahoma for a year and a half, and I completely agree with you. The people there are just not all that friendly, ESPECIALLY if they find out that you are not from there.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 7:43 PM

I have found both friendly, and unfriendly, states all over the nation. We are currently in Oklahoma, and although I hate it here, I can't say that they people are unfriendly. Especially to my husband, everywhere we go when my husband is in uniform someone ALWAYS approaches us and says "Thank you for your service".

The rudest people I've ever encountered have been from the Northeast. 

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this

I disagree with your list. I am from Philadelphia and think most people are friendly.

My top 5 states I find the unfriendliest:

Texas

Virginia

Delaware

California

Maryland

Parts of New jersey

ETA: I do not feel these whole states are rude.  I think it is parts of each State.

I find PA (most parts), parts of New Jersey, and New York some of the friendliest places I have visited and/or lived.

rfurlongg
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:02 PM
Lol! I have actually found most states that I have traveled to to be friendly enough.

I will agree with pp that Texas drivers are the craziest in the continental U.S. CA drivers are faster, but TX drivers take much crazier and unnecessary risks.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:03 PM
1 mom liked this

We go camping in Virgina and for the most part in Willaimaburg I find the people friendly but go a couple of hours out and not so much.

Quoting snookyfritz:

Grew up in Maryland and loved it.  My son lives in Annapolis and I love that too. 

Lived in PA for a couple years, loved it.

Lived in Virginia, not so great, super conservative

Live in Colorado and love it here.  I live in a very small mountain town.  (2,500 people)

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:04 PM

I think New Jersey drivers can be the worst. I HATE driving in Jersey.

Quoting rfurlongg:

Lol! I have actually found most states that I have traveled to to be friendly enough.

I will agree with pp that Texas drivers are the craziest in the continental U.S. CA drivers are faster, but TX drivers take much crazier and unnecessary risks.

nelopyma
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:06 PM

I've been to a lot of states, but have not necessarily stayed in them long enough to form a valid opinion on who's nice and who's not.  I live in South Carolina now, and they're friendly.  I moved here from Connecticut... not so friendly. 

Probably the friendliest state I've been to is Hawaii. 

maria1613
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:12 PM
I've been to many states but i thought the people were fine in all of them. I had one bad experience in California but it didn't ruin the trip.

Where would you say the nicest states are that you've been to?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)