Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The most unfriendly states in the Union

Posted by   + Show Post
I've been in 49 states (out of the fifty) and while, I've never been to Alaska (and to be honest I've only been to Hawaii because the plane landed at the airport) I have had dealings of some sort of fashion in every state.

While; I know my experience doesn't constitute a (proven) fact. I feel I have spent enough time in these states that I list as "unfriendly" to feel justified in my belief in their "unfriendliness."

I feel (by far) that Oklahoma is the most unfriendly state. Honestly, it is the only state in the union where one is made to feel like a criminal, if one says, "Hello." I do understand that "hello" is just really just the big "O" next to "hell" and in the bible no where does God say "hello" to anyone. But, Why can't anyone from Oklahoma provide a friendly greeting of some sort to anyone that they don't know?

It's all the same from Boise City to Oklahoma City to Tulsa and down to the Red River area. It's not like I'm wearing a Longhorn t-shirt or such; but, I'm always made to feel unwelcome by anyone from that state.

If the whole state of Pennsylvania acted like the people in Philadelphia up through Scranton then Pennsylvania would top this list. Fortunately, the fine folks in the western part of that state truly understand how to be kind to a stranger; even if, that stranger has a funny ethnic accent.

So here is my top five unfriendly states:

1) Oklahoma
2) Pennsylvania
3) Massachusetts (especially the Boston area)
4) Michigan
5) Maryland (Baltimore is bad; but, Salisbury is worst ... I guess you get that way with Delaware always pooping on you)

What's your list?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Replies (21-30):
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Michigan, number 1 on my list.

California comes in second.

Texas third.

Minnesota fourth.

Idaho fifth.

mommadana
by New Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:17 PM
I haven't had too much issue with people in Texas, but I have lived here my whole life. I have visited many other states. The people in NY gave you weird looks if you smile at them. Lol. The people in Dallas drive like crazy people and they are kinda rude. The thing with other states driving is they drive like they don't know the rules of the road. Like the 5 mph over a speed limit or something. I'd be afraid to get a ticket in another state. So I get it
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:21 PM

States in the Midwest, in no particular order.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:22 PM

IDK- everyone seems pretty friendly to me. The drivers in Chicago are horrible. The Ped has no right- of -way in that city.

muslimah
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I have been through the mid west, east coast and the south all the way through the south of Florida several times.

Forget about just "unfriendly" Kentucky and Tennessee are absolutely by far the most hateful, evil people I have ever encountered. They're real nice until they discover you are not a Christian or American then they turn into the devil.

My husband and his cousin who are very obviously Iraqi worked and lived in Tennessee for a short time and they had to take their pool sticks with them everywhere they went.

They used to get off work and stop at this little bar. The bar owner and bartender loved them because they were good spenders but they would be sitting at the bar having their drink and just get jumped from behind. They fought like hell with those pool sticks. The police would come and automatically go to cuff them and the bar tender would tell the police every time not to arrest them but to arrest the group who jumped them from behind. When the police would find out it was the locals who were guilty they would not make an arrest.

When I used to cover in hijab I got treated like dirt at every restaurant, gas station, or store I went into in Kentucky and Tennessee both. If we have to stay in a hotel for a night while passing through we lower our standards and stay at those nasty hole in the wall motels owned by Indians just so we don't have to take shit from the white people and can feel confident that we will wake up safelyy in the morning and not find our car vandalized. They treat us just that bad that we do worry about those things happening.

Subhan Allah ( سبحان الله )"Glory be to Allah"
 Alhamdulillah ( الحمدللہ )"All Praise to Allah"
 Allahu Akbar ( الله اكبر )"Allah is the Greatest"

Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:40 PM
1 mom liked this
LUCKY! 2 bases in all those years?!?!

Quoting Donna6503:

Yeah, I understand what you're saying ... While my hubby was in the Air Force for some 23 years, he has been based in only two different bases Luke and Davis. Most of my travels around the country has been related to my job.

Quoting Mommy_of_Riley:

I disagree... With most of your list. LOL! I'm a militry kid now a military wife so we've lived all over as well.

Going off of your list, people in Oklahoma never bothered me. The traffic however SUCKS. I've never lived in Pennslyvania so I have no idea about that one. We have been to Boston and I loved it. They were by far the most accommodating to our Marine wives group but maybe it's because I'm Irish. My Dad's side of the family is mostly from Michigan and I disagree that they're unfriendly unless you're from Ohio and if that's the guess is be unfriendly too. Finally, we lived on Aberdeen PG in Maryland right outside of Baltimore and once again... Never treated badly or unfriendly.

My "unfriendly" states? (In no order)

- Hawaii. Depending on where you live and where you go if you aren't a native then you're treated like crap.

- New York. I dot know if the people there are unfriendly or just too busy to care. Of all the states I've lived in or travelled to NY state had the rudest people I've ever met.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommy_of_Riley
by Jes on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I also think it depends on where at in the state you have lived or visited...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:49 PM
I live just outside of Philadelphia. On Friday night I took DD to the Selena Gomez concert and the stranger next to me was taking great pictures (I could see them) so at the end of the show I gave her my card and asked if she would please send me some. Then we talked about her camera for a bit and yesterday I received 43 pictures from her. Friendly people are everywhere as are nasty ones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
heather77g
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Ive been all over and mine would be the New England States
tanyainmizzou
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Ohio
California
Idaho
New Jersey
New York
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)