Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The most unfriendly states in the Union

Posted by   + Show Post
I've been in 49 states (out of the fifty) and while, I've never been to Alaska (and to be honest I've only been to Hawaii because the plane landed at the airport) I have had dealings of some sort of fashion in every state.

While; I know my experience doesn't constitute a (proven) fact. I feel I have spent enough time in these states that I list as "unfriendly" to feel justified in my belief in their "unfriendliness."

I feel (by far) that Oklahoma is the most unfriendly state. Honestly, it is the only state in the union where one is made to feel like a criminal, if one says, "Hello." I do understand that "hello" is just really just the big "O" next to "hell" and in the bible no where does God say "hello" to anyone. But, Why can't anyone from Oklahoma provide a friendly greeting of some sort to anyone that they don't know?

It's all the same from Boise City to Oklahoma City to Tulsa and down to the Red River area. It's not like I'm wearing a Longhorn t-shirt or such; but, I'm always made to feel unwelcome by anyone from that state.

If the whole state of Pennsylvania acted like the people in Philadelphia up through Scranton then Pennsylvania would top this list. Fortunately, the fine folks in the western part of that state truly understand how to be kind to a stranger; even if, that stranger has a funny ethnic accent.

So here is my top five unfriendly states:

1) Oklahoma
2) Pennsylvania
3) Massachusetts (especially the Boston area)
4) Michigan
5) Maryland (Baltimore is bad; but, Salisbury is worst ... I guess you get that way with Delaware always pooping on you)

What's your list?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Replies (31-40):
LIMom1105
by Bronze Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 9:07 PM

I've been to many states, though I've never seen ten of them, so I can't weigh in completely. Oklahoma is one, so I have no idea what people are like there. PA I visited quite a bit as a child and teen (Scranton area), and people were ok, but then I was the granddaughter of a long-time resident, white and Christian. It was very insular at the time, people weren't well-educated overall, and I could see it might not be a welcoming place to people who are not from there.

I love Southern states in general for friendliness. Parts of New England are good too. Though overall, I'd say most Canadian cities have us beat (except Quebec perhaps). 

I live in the NY metro area, and I do think drivers here are awful. Way too aggressive. People aren't as rude as you would think, but everyone does things quickly and generally they are in a hurry. Many people you meet in NYC aren't from there originally either.  I remember my first job--almost all the other young people at my level were from the midwest.

Della529
by Matlock on Oct. 20, 2013 at 10:18 PM

Bump for later.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Sorry on behalf of the entire state of michigan. We dont like you if you werent born here.

I would have been nice to you though, unless you waited for the light to turn green in the turn around...then it would be on.

Quoting Donna6503:

I've been in 49 states (out of the fifty) and while, I've never been to Alaska (and to be honest I've only been to Hawaii because the plane landed at the airport) I have had dealings of some sort of fashion in every state.

While; I know my experience doesn't constitute a (proven) fact. I feel I have spent enough time in these states that I list as "unfriendly" to feel justified in my belief in their "unfriendliness."

I feel (by far) that Oklahoma is the most unfriendly state. Honestly, it is the only state in the union where one is made to feel like a criminal, if one says, "Hello." I do understand that "hello" is just really just the big "O" next to "hell" and in the bible no where does God say "hello" to anyone. But, Why can't anyone from Oklahoma provide a friendly greeting of some sort to anyone that they don't know?

It's all the same from Boise City to Oklahoma City to Tulsa and down to the Red River area. It's not like I'm wearing a Longhorn t-shirt or such; but, I'm always made to feel unwelcome by anyone from that state.

If the whole state of Pennsylvania acted like the people in Philadelphia up through Scranton then Pennsylvania would top this list. Fortunately, the fine folks in the western part of that state truly understand how to be kind to a stranger; even if, that stranger has a funny ethnic accent.

So here is my top five unfriendly states:

1) Oklahoma

2) Pennsylvania

3) Massachusetts (especially the Boston area)

4) Michigan

5) Maryland (Baltimore is bad; but, Salisbury is worst ... I guess you get that way with Delaware always pooping on you)

What's your list?

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:21 PM
That's what I noticed about Chicago. I hate driving in that city. Bumper to bumper and everyone going like a bat out of hell. Also I am used to Minneapolis where groups of pedestrians can just bully traffic even to the point of ignoring traffic lights and drivers yeild to peds, always. I was walking around downtown Chicago and crossing a street even with the right of way was taking your life in your hands.

Quoting Sisteract:

IDK- everyone seems pretty friendly to me. The drivers in Chicago are horrible. The Ped has no right- of -way in that city.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:36 PM
DH is from DFW and we lived there for 8 years. Whenever we drive aback to visit family I always know when we are close because all of a sudden every vehicle on the road is trying to kill me. It's the worst. And I've driven a car in Mexico.

Quoting Donna6503:

I would agree with you there; I grew up in South Gate and even though I've lived in Arizona some time now, I still feel I'm a basic So Cal girl.

But, the Dallas/ Ft Worth drivers seem wild to me too; yet, the Houston area is just plain scary when you drive next to those drivers.

Quoting Friday:

I haven't traveled much, just the Southern states and a couple of trips to NYC. The worst experience I have had regarding hospitality was in Tx. I don't know if they all just drive like crap or seeing our Cali license plate made us fair game but I grew up in the Los Angeles suburbs and the worst drivers I have seen were in Tx. Not to mention some of the attitudes that were thrown out when we didn't have a recognizable accent and they learned we were from Cali. They don't seem to like Californians much in Tx. Manhattan was quite welcoming compared to DFW.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Oct. 20, 2013 at 11:52 PM
West Virginia tops my list as the least friendly state. When I lived up there, I was shocked and appalled at the way they treated guests and strangers. I guess too many transplants from Pennsylvania and New Jersey in that part of the state is the excuse they gave me but I don't buy it. I wanted to revoke their accents. They shouldn't be that rude and then try to call themselves southerners in the same sentence. Indiana would probably top the list but I was only there for a few hours while I had to live in wv for far too long. Once I got back over the border into north Carolina, I got out of my car, sacrificed a goat, thanked the gods for getting back to civilisation safely, and promised to nail my feet to the ground if I ever felt like going that far north again.

ETA: yes, I know you have to go through Virginia to get to North Carolina but I didn't feel safe until I saw the Bojangles in the distance and knew that sweet tea by the gallon would soon be in reach. And likely it would be handed to me by some old lady who called me baby or boo. I'd burst into tears
codfish
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:23 AM
So glad my beautiful state, TN, isn't on anyone's naughty list.
LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:37 AM
New Jersey...apparently smiling is forbidden there, haha...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:40 AM
I think the beltway through D.C. is the worst...I literally thought I was going to die!

Quoting Sisteract:

IDK- everyone seems pretty friendly to me. The drivers in Chicago are horrible. The Ped has no right- of -way in that city.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:43 AM
We drove from OK to NC and I have to say that those southern states are very unfriendly. I thought people in NYC were really friendly. I'm living in MN but haven't has too many dealings with people yet.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN