Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The most unfriendly states in the Union

Posted by   + Show Post
I've been in 49 states (out of the fifty) and while, I've never been to Alaska (and to be honest I've only been to Hawaii because the plane landed at the airport) I have had dealings of some sort of fashion in every state.

While; I know my experience doesn't constitute a (proven) fact. I feel I have spent enough time in these states that I list as "unfriendly" to feel justified in my belief in their "unfriendliness."

I feel (by far) that Oklahoma is the most unfriendly state. Honestly, it is the only state in the union where one is made to feel like a criminal, if one says, "Hello." I do understand that "hello" is just really just the big "O" next to "hell" and in the bible no where does God say "hello" to anyone. But, Why can't anyone from Oklahoma provide a friendly greeting of some sort to anyone that they don't know?

It's all the same from Boise City to Oklahoma City to Tulsa and down to the Red River area. It's not like I'm wearing a Longhorn t-shirt or such; but, I'm always made to feel unwelcome by anyone from that state.

If the whole state of Pennsylvania acted like the people in Philadelphia up through Scranton then Pennsylvania would top this list. Fortunately, the fine folks in the western part of that state truly understand how to be kind to a stranger; even if, that stranger has a funny ethnic accent.

So here is my top five unfriendly states:

1) Oklahoma
2) Pennsylvania
3) Massachusetts (especially the Boston area)
4) Michigan
5) Maryland (Baltimore is bad; but, Salisbury is worst ... I guess you get that way with Delaware always pooping on you)

What's your list?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 20, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Replies (41-50):
LucyMom08
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:43 AM
I had no problems driving through NJ, except for the damn construction everywhere...

The worst I've seen was the beltway through D.C. and downtown NYC...

I'm southern, I was IN NO WAY prepared for that hell, haha...

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

I think New Jersey drivers can be the worst. I HATE driving in Jersey.

Quoting rfurlongg:

Lol! I have actually found most states that I have traveled to to be friendly enough.

I will agree with pp that Texas drivers are the craziest in the continental U.S. CA drivers are faster, but TX drivers take much crazier and unnecessary risks.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smalltownmom03
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:47 AM
I live in Texas (1 1/2 hours from houston and 4 hours from DFW) and I wont drive in either of those places. The drivers here arent that bad once you get out of the city.

Quoting Donna6503:

I would agree with you there; I grew up in South Gate and even though I've lived in Arizona some time now, I still feel I'm a basic So Cal girl.

But, the Dallas/ Ft Worth drivers seem wild to me too; yet, the Houston area is just plain scary when you drive next to those drivers.

Quoting Friday:

I haven't traveled much, just the Southern states and a couple of trips to NYC. The worst experience I have had regarding hospitality was in Tx. I don't know if they all just drive like crap or seeing our Cali license plate made us fair game but I grew up in the Los Angeles suburbs and the worst drivers I have seen were in Tx. Not to mention some of the attitudes that were thrown out when we didn't have a recognizable accent and they learned we were from Cali. They don't seem to like Californians much in Tx. Manhattan was quite welcoming compared to DFW.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:49 AM
I think the DFW drivers are better than OKC.

Quoting smalltownmom03:

I live in Texas (1 1/2 hours from houston and 4 hours from DFW) and I wont drive in either of those places. The drivers here arent that bad once you get out of the city.

Quoting Donna6503:

I would agree with you there; I grew up in South Gate and even though I've lived in Arizona some time now, I still feel I'm a basic So Cal girl.

But, the Dallas/ Ft Worth drivers seem wild to me too; yet, the Houston area is just plain scary when you drive next to those drivers.

Quoting Friday:

I haven't traveled much, just the Southern states and a couple of trips to NYC. The worst experience I have had regarding hospitality was in Tx. I don't know if they all just drive like crap or seeing our Cali license plate made us fair game but I grew up in the Los Angeles suburbs and the worst drivers I have seen were in Tx. Not to mention some of the attitudes that were thrown out when we didn't have a recognizable accent and they learned we were from Cali. They don't seem to like Californians much in Tx. Manhattan was quite welcoming compared to DFW.

smalltownmom03
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:49 AM
I love Colorado. I want to move to South Fork some day.

Quoting snookyfritz:

Grew up in Maryland and loved it.  My son lives in Annapolis and I love that too. 

Lived in PA for a couple years, loved it.

Lived in Virginia, not so great, super conservative

Live in Colorado and love it here.  I live in a very small mountain town.  (2,500 people)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smalltownmom03
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:51 AM
I haven't been to OKC in many years. Last time I was there I was a kid.

Quoting LaughCryLive:

I think the DFW drivers are better than OKC.

Quoting smalltownmom03:

Quoting Donna6503:

Quoting Friday:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tanyainmizzou
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:52 AM
1 mom liked this

I spent almost all of the last 24 years living not far from you.   Your city would show up on the local news for sports and rainfall totals.  Small world.

Quoting smalltownmom03:

Quoting Donna6503:

Quoting Friday:

chrlstoncharmed
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:59 AM
We are new to Houston and holy hell, the drivers here! They literally do whatever they want. These people are insane!

Quoting smalltownmom03:

Quoting Donna6503:

Quoting Friday:

tanyainmizzou
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:04 AM

I think because I grew up in Houston, they are the safest drivers around.   I totally have no problems doing the 5 lane sweep to get from 610 to 290.

And at least in Texas, drivers move over to let you pass!   And I hate the highway systems in other states.   That is one thing that Texas does very well.  Good roads.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

We are new to Houston and holy hell, the drivers here! They literally do whatever they want. These people are insane!

Quoting smalltownmom03:

Quoting Donna6503:

Quoting Friday:

smalltownmom03
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:04 AM
IF we get a freeze this winter DON'T leave the house. The people there think they can drive like that on ice.

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

Quoting smalltownmom03:

Quoting Donna6503:

Quoting Friday:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Bun302
by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:09 AM
What's wrong with delaware?? Lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN