Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Pope Francis describes ‘ideological Christians’ as a ‘serious illness’ within the Church

Pema_Jampa
Yesterday at 4:19 PM
Labrinth - Earthquake ft. Tinie Tempah

The album Electronic Earth is released on 2nd April. Click here to pre-order now! iTunes - http://smarturl.it/LabrinthEE (Standard) http://smarturl.it/Labrin...

Posted by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:53 AM
  • 93 Replies
1 mom liked this

Pope Francis describes ‘ideological Christians’ as a ‘serious illness’ within the Church

Monday, October 21, 2013 9:21 EDT
Pope Francis screenshot

Speaking at daily Mass last Thursday, Pope Francis warned Christians against turning their faith into a rigid ideology.

“The faith passes, so to speak, through a distiller and becomes ideology,” he said, according toRadio Vatican. “And ideology does not beckon [people]. In ideologies there is not Jesus: in his tenderness, his love, his meekness. And ideologies are rigid, always. Of every sign: rigid.

“And when a Christian becomes a disciple of the ideology, he has lost the faith: he is no longer a disciple of Jesus, he is a disciple of this attitude of thought… For this reason Jesus said to them: ‘You have taken away the key of knowledge.’ The knowledge of Jesus is transformed into an ideological and also moralistic knowledge, because these close the door with many requirements.”

“The faith becomes ideology and ideology frightens, ideology chases away the people, distances, distances the people and distances of the Church of the people,” Francis added. “But it is a serious illness, this of ideological Christians. It is an illness, but it is not new, eh?”

He said Christian ideology was the result of a lack of true prayer.

Watch video, courtesy of Rome Reports, below:

by on Oct. 21, 2013 at 11:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TimetoMomUp
by Runt on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:08 PM
2 moms liked this

I find the Pope to be very interesting.  

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:12 PM
4 moms liked this

I love this man and his message, so on point and accurate.

Many lack spirituality and miss the true message of JC, his good works and what he wanted others to do; how to live. Taking up the arrow, so to speak.

No human is without sin.

Religion is not about securing your place in the next life- IMO, too many get caught up in that thought/mission.

gypsy_rose
by Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:14 PM
6 moms liked this
I am pagan and LOVE this pope.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:17 PM
2 moms liked this
Of course by ideologues he couldn't possibly be referring to the likes of a couple people here who post frequently about their Catholicism, could he?! Hmmm.........

And I stress THEIR Catholicism, not Catholicism in general.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Quoting shannonnigans:

Of course by ideologues he couldn't possibly be referring to the likes of a couple people here who post frequently about their Catholicism, could he?! Hmmm.........

IRL, I have never encountered that kind of Catholic- or if they were, they hid it very well. 

Actions speak far louder than BS words.

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:24 PM
Nor have I, and that includes six years at a Catholic school. Just here.

Quoting Sisteract:

Quoting shannonnigans:

IRL, I have never encountered that kind of Catholic- or if they were, they hid it very well. 

Actions speak far louder than BS words.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AlekD
by Gold Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:30 PM
4 moms liked this

Of course Catholicism, like any religious belief, is an ideology, but it isn't JUST an ideology. It's about Jesus, true man and true God who truly walked on the earth and his grace and justice is high above our understanding. 

I don't like to see this thread turning into a bash fest against "certain people" though. We are all in different places on our spiritual journey.

cathygymboree
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:36 PM

We already had Billy Graham educate us about this years ago.

We're saved   :  )

Don't worry about us.

We're good.

cathygymboree
by Bronze Member on Oct. 21, 2013 at 12:39 PM

Quoting Sisteract:

Many lack spirituality and miss the true message of JC, his good works and what he wanted others to do; how to live. Taking up the arrow, so to speak.

No human is without sin.

Religion is not about securing your place in the next life- IMO, too many get caught up in that thought/mission.

The phrase is actually "taking up the Cross".

It's where you follow through even when everyone around you tells you you're wrong.   wink

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 21, 2013 at 1:19 PM

I should not have included the word UP in the phrase. In Catholic schools present, they often speak about taking "the arrow"- At least the schools my kids attended from 1992-2009.

Quoting cathygymboree:

Quoting Sisteract:

No human is without sin.

The phrase is actually "taking up the Cross".

It's where you follow through even when everyone around you tells you you're wrong.   wink

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)