Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Some parents take things too far to protect snowflake

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:33 AM
  • 94 Replies
1 mom liked this

A parent files a bullying complaint over a high school football game

Was Aledo’s 91-0 football win last week a case of bullying?

A

Aledo High School Coach Tim Buchanan, as he’s done after every game this season, gathered his assistants last Friday night to go over another Bearcats victory.

This time, the mood was somber.

“We were just sitting there,” Buchanan said. “You’d have thought we got beat. I looked around and asked, ‘Is there anyone here that feels good?’”

Aledo beat Fort Worth Western Hills 91-0 at home, pushing its season scoring pace to 69.3 points a game and running its undefeated record to 7-0. In four District 7-4A games against Fort Worth schools, the Bearcats have outscored their opponents by an average of 77 points per game.

While the lopsided victories are no doubt tough for the losing teams, Buchanan said the margins of victory are troublesome for him as well.

“I’m upset about it,” Buchanan said. “I don’t like it. I sit there the whole third and fourth quarter and try to think how I can keep us from scoring.”

Others are also upset about the point spreads.

Buchanan said he received notice Saturday morning that a bullying report had been filed against him by a Western Hills parent.

Under state law, school districts must provide a bullying complaint report form on their websites. Aledo High School’s principal is required to investigate the allegations to determine whether bullying occurred and prepare a written report on the matter.

Buchanan said he has the support of the Aledo administration. But he didn’t dismiss the serious nature of the complaint.

“I have to address it,” Buchanan said. “It’s not something you can laugh off or anything like that. What they said was that I should’ve told my players to ease up and not play so hard.”

Western Hills Coach John Naylor said he disagrees with the allegations that his team was bullied.

“I think the game was handled fine,” Naylor said. “They’re No. 1 for a reason, and I know coach Buchanan. We’re fighting a real uphill battle right now.”

Naylor, whose roster had around 30 players Friday night, said there was only so much Aledo could do to stop scoring.

“We just ran into a buzzsaw, you know,” Naylor said. “[Aledo] just plays hard. And they’re good sports, and they don’t talk at all. They get after it, and that’s the way football is supposed to be played in Texas.”

Texas School Safety Week

Football as a method of bullying is not addressed by the Texas Education code, which defines bullying as “as engaging in written or verbal expression, expression through electronic means, or physical conduct that occurs on school property, at a school-sponsored or school-related activity … and that has the effect or will have the effect of physically harming a student … or is sufficiently severe, persistent, and pervasive enough that the action or threat creates an intimidating, threatening, or abusive educational environment for a student.”

This week, as part of Texas Safe Schools Week, the Texas Education Agency and Texas School Safety Center at Texas State University are reminding school districts about the resources available to help combat bullying.

“We all recognize that bullying creates a negative climate for students, staff, parents and the community,” Dr. Victoria Calder, director of the Texas School Safety Center, said in a news release. “Educators and students must work together to prevent bullying in our schools and our communities.”

Reached later by the Star-Telegram, Calder said she could not talk specifically about the Aledo case, but was not aware of any such complaints being made before about a football game.

She said there are a lot of misconceptions about what is and is not bullying, and gave the example of a little girl shoving another little girl at school.

“That doesn’t make it bullying,” Calder said. “You have to look at each case individually.”

Next week, the Texas School Safety Center will conducts it inaugural Texas Bully Prevention Summit in San Marcos.

Starters pulled early

Buchanan said he enjoys the Bearcats’ big victories for about a half.

“In the first half, I’m excited about us scoring, then I’m sitting here going what the heck am I going to do?” he said.

And this year, the big victories have come in bunches. In addition to their success in district play, the Bearcats have impressive non-district victories over traditional powerhouses Highland Park (44-3) and Stephenville (56-14).

In Friday’s victory over Western Hills, the Bearcats rushed for 391 yards and scored eight touchdowns on the ground. Running back Jess Anders had four touchdowns on four touches. Ryan Newsome returned consecutive punt returns for scores.

Buchanan said he pulled his starters on offense after 21 snaps and that a running clock was implemented in the third quarter. Aledo’s quarterbacks combined for 10 pass attempts.

While 91 points is usually associated with a basketball game, it is not the most ever scored in a high school football game in Texas.

That came in 1969 when Valley Mills scored 103 against Grandview, according to Dave Campbell’s Texas Football.

by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momtoscott
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:38 AM
3 moms liked this

I agree that for a parent to accuse the other team of bullying is ridiculous.   But I've heard sports types say that there's something unsportsmanlike about running up the score like that.  Still, unsportsmanlike is not bullying, by any means.   

tanyainmizzou
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:40 AM
3 moms liked this

Starters are pulled after a few plays.

Passes aren't thrown any more.

Taking a knee three times every other possession would be unsportsmanlike.

What can you do when a team is simply that much better?

Quoting momtoscott:

I agree that for a parent to accuse the other team of bullying is ridiculous.   But I've heard sports types say that there's something unsportsmanlike about running up the score like that.  Still, unsportsmanlike is not bullying, by any means.   

momtoscott
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:47 AM
2 moms liked this

Probably nothing more.  If I was one of the losing coaches, though, I would ask the winning coach for a few lessons in how to run a football program.  

My college football team was regularly beaten with similar scores.  It's not fun to be part of a loss like that, but it's certainly not bullying.  

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Starters are pulled after a few plays.

Passes aren't thrown any more.

Taking a knee three times every other possession would be unsportsmanlike.

What can you do when a team is simply that much better?

Quoting momtoscott:

Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 8:54 AM
3 moms liked this
I think that the parent should be ashamed using up resources and time that could go into investigating real bullying cases!

It sucks to lose by a huge number but it is not bullying.
candlegal
by Judy on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:12 AM
1 mom liked this

The other team needs to get a new coach,  not accuse the winning team of bullying.   How ridiculous our country is becoming.

meriana
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:16 AM
3 moms liked this
Good grief. It's a game and in a game there's a winner and a loser. Yep it sucks that the other team was out-scored by such a huge margin but there's not much that can be done when one team is so much better than the other. Most coaches don't want to run up the score like that but it happens. If a team member catches the ball, of course they're going to try to score. What else should they do...stand there and say, hey there's a huge difference in the score so I'm not going to do what my team expects me to do? Or perhaps whoever catches the ball should just give it to the other team and everyone else can just stand around and let them score. The parent who complained must be infected with the "everyone who wants to be on the team gets to be and everyone gets a trophy regardless so they don't feel badly" mentality.
LucylucyM
by Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:24 AM
4 moms liked this

Here we go again. Everyone needs to get a trophy. Give me a break. He had 3rd string kids in to play, who show up to practice everyday. What should they have done?  Just sat on the sidelines and let the losing team have the field to themselves so they could score? No, those kids deserve the chance to play their best too. Their parents and grand parents are there and they finally get to see their kid score a touchdown, make a tackle, get a block, etc. AWESOME!!

Shame on this parent who is making such a spectacle. Congrats to all the players who played in the game and gave it their all. 

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:48 AM
3 moms liked this

I really wish people would learn what actual bullying is and quit calling every last damn thing that upsets their kid or an unpleasant experience, bullying. FFS. 

PrimmednPunked
by Bronze Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

From the looks of it the team was just better.  Oh well.  Lick your wounds, practice more and live to fight another day.  Why don't kids learn this anymore?  

I used to do speech competitions.  They were basically competitions in areas such as poetry readings, storytelling, extemporanous speaking and things like that.  When I first started I wasnt' good.  I didn't win.  But that didn't stop me.  I kept practicing and finding the areas I was good at.  By the time I graduated I was a state level champ.  I was also given the opportunities for scholarships (why oh why didn't I take them!!!).  

It is all in your mindset.  Crushing defeats happen.  That is when you pick yourself up off the ground and your try again later.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 9:56 AM
3 moms liked this
I agree this is absolutely not bullying. However, i absolutely disagree with the title of this thread. There is no reason to use name calling to make your special little point.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured