Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Vatican confirms communion ban on remarried divorcees

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:53 PM
  • 234 Replies

Poll

Question: Ever been divorced?

Options:

Yes

No

Never Married

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 100

View Results

Vatican confirms communion ban on remarried divorcees

Reuters 
Saint Peter's Basilica at the Vatican is silhouetted during sunset in Rome

View gallery

Saint Peter's Basilica at the Vatican is silhouetted during sunset in Rome, March 11, 2013. REUTERS/Paul …

VATICAN CITY (Reuters) - The Vatican confirmed on Tuesday that Catholics who have remarried after divorce are barred from receiving communion, dashing hopes that the ruling could change soon.

Archbishop Gerhard Mueller, head of the Holy See's doctrinal office, said in a long article in the Vatican newspaper that such couples could receive communion only if they had a Church annulment.

But he said "even if there is no possibility of admitting remarried divorcees to the sacraments," priests must show particular pastoral concern for people in difficult circumstances.

The question of married divorcees is a major issue in Catholic Churches in a number of developed countries, particularly in Germany, where bishops say it is a growing problem.

Earlier this month the Vatican blocked a move by a German diocese to allow some divorced and remarried Catholics to receive communion. The Vatican said local dioceses could not enact reforms on their own.

The Church teaches that marriage is indissoluble. It does not recognize divorce but only a Church-sanctioned annulment, which is a ruling that the conditions for a marriage, such as free will and psychological maturity, did not exist when it took place.

by on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
-Celestial-
by Pepperlynn on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this

My sister in law is in a loveless and abusive marriage because of the church views on marriage divorce..

I've been happily married 16 years with no church involvement.

AlekD
by Gold Member on Oct. 22, 2013 at 11:59 PM
4 moms liked this
Ok? I dont think this was ever really up for debate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:11 AM

So its better to be sinfully sexually active outside of marriage if you want communion...don't get remarried!

Brycensmommy85
by Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Stupid. I was rasied Catholic and I am divorced, my aunt had her first marrigae annuled in the church (not legally) so her second could be done in the church. Her first husband was very abusive. I am pretty sure this has always been the church's stance whether or not it was always practiced. I do not attend church now and have no desire to have my first marriage annuled if only for my son's sake and what that says to him. My mother wants me to have it annuled saying I was forced into it by her because I was pregnant, while true I don't agree with ther logic at all. Churches can have their own rules hence why I choose not to follow or believe in them.

MicheleJM
by Bronze Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:20 AM

Oh well if I'm to remarry I guess I will go to the Espispical church.  I'm not sure that's spelled right but check spell says it is so don't blame me. LOL.  This is nothing new.  There are also branches of Catholicism like the Old Catholic church who are not under the diocese and therefore-I believe- don't follow that rule.  I think most christian churches are not particularly happy with divorce although the catholic church is the strictest.

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 12:21 AM
2 moms liked this

There is a solution to this... Lutheran, Episcopalian, Presbyterian...They don't have to stay Catholic.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:21 AM
1 mom liked this

Another reason why...................

babie113
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:23 AM
2 moms liked this
so glad im atheist
billsfan1104
by Jules on Oct. 23, 2013 at 2:48 AM
3 moms liked this
Which is a mistake that your sister is making. The Church will absolutly let her have an annulment. In fact, she can get an annulment without her husbands permission.
I am going through the annulment process right now.
I asked that question, specifically, because my ex husband is an asshole and his wife a bitch, and they lie about what is said.

Quoting -Celestial-:

My sister in law is in a loveless and abusive marriage because of the church views on marriage..

I've been happily married 16 years.

shannonnigans
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 3:52 AM
I never even knew this. Sure sounds civilized to me
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured