Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Screen Shot 2013-10-22 at 9.55.02 PM

A Hooters restaurant is being sued for racial discrimination after firing a black waitress, Farryn Johnson, and telling her she couldn’t wear her blonde highlights.

Johnson, who says she works with white waitresses who are allowed to wear highlights in their hair, took her complaint to the Maryland Commission on Civil Rights.

In an interview with CBS’ Baltimore affiliate, WJZ, Johnson gave her side of the story:

“My other coworkers, they all had different colors in their hair, like red and blonde highlights. I didn’t think it would be an issue.”

Johnson, 25, was told her hair color violated the company’s employee image standards.

“They gave me write ups and they told me I need to take the color out of my hair. And they said I couldn’t have blonde in my hair because I’m black. They specifically said ‘black women don’t have blonde in their hair, so you need to take it out,’”

Johnson’s attorney, Jessica Weber said the main issue here is that the standards aren’t applied across the board.

“What’s wrong is that both federal and state law clearly say employers can’t impose two separate and distinct rules governing employee standards–one for African-American employees and one for everyone else. And that’s clearly what Hooters did here,”

Hooter declined comment. The case is now in the hands of Maryland Commission on Civil Rights and their investigation could take months.

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 8:13 AM
Replies (41-50):
Della529
by Matlock on Oct. 23, 2013 at 8:36 PM
3 moms liked this
Bleached blondes with blue eye-shadow really look comical to me.
Quoting jllcali:

I've seen Hooters waitresses with all kinds of highlights, like pink, red (like a fire truck) blue, purple, green, orange etc. So I'm leaning towards discrimination if they did tell her that she can't have blonde if she's black.

I do think the vast majority of people who color their hair blonde look silly, if they don't already have blonde hair of some sort. But to each their own
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Oct. 23, 2013 at 9:12 PM

It might not be discrimination (they may have a blanket rule about natural hair colour --my daughter's employer does) but it's stupid as hell.

juno1
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:15 PM

Ha...that made me laugh... Hooters image..... omg

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting SuzCahn:

I'm not sure what a "Hooters Image" is supposed to look like?

I need more info to make a judgment.

Aestas
by Gold Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:39 PM

Yep, sure is.

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Yep sure sounds like discrimination to me. I bet they will settle. I'm sure they have insurance for that. Or insurance will at least paying for the lawyers. If the facts given are true then it is pretty clear cut.
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:06 AM

There has to be more to this. Or I'm hoping so. Hooters isn't exactly the most ummmm, discerning place of employment. I find it hard to believe they'd have an issue with anyone wearing highlights or whatever in their hair. Especially when my local Hooters has women of all colors wearing clearly unnatural colors. Ya know. Like blue, fushia, fire engine red, metallic silver, etc. this makes zero sense to me. 

AnastasiaKorsh
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:11 AM
sounds like discrimination to me.
Bonnie_
by Bronze Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 3:33 AM

I  hope  she wins her case.   My  hair is dyed  blonde... it's not my  natural color.  I  can't believe they  would be so  stupid.   And actually  I  did  go to school with a black girl  who  was a little  lighter  skinned  and she had   blonde  hair  and blue eyes. 

she had  hair like this

and eyes  like this ,...

RandRMomma
by Maya on Oct. 24, 2013 at 5:41 AM
As it reads, it's discrimination. How embarrassing
LNLMommy
by Queen K on Oct. 24, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Is Hooters a franchise business? Hmm, I wonder

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

There has to be more to this. Or I'm hoping so. Hooters isn't exactly the most ummmm, discerning place of employment. I find it hard to believe they'd have an issue with anyone wearing highlights or whatever in their hair. Especially when my local Hooters has women of all colors wearing clearly unnatural colors. Ya know. Like blue, fushia, fire engine red, metallic silver, etc. this makes zero sense to me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)