Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Serious conundrum. Common sense. I'm freaking out!!! HELP!

Posted by   + Show Post

You participated in a team fundraiser. Instead of just begging outside a local store, parents decided that they would sell candy, water, soda, and chips, in addition to collecting donations. 

Originally it was said that the parents who participated in buying items for fundraiser and working it could be  reimbursed from proceeds. The day of, all (or we thought) agreed to "donate" food and drink items and just use the leftovers for another fundraiser. Parents were told to buy one 24 package of water or soda, and one package of candy or chips. It was also stated that you shouldn't buy more than $20 in supplies for each parent. 

You count the $$ made, and it wasn't bad to be honest for only 3 hour shifts, then tell the parents what each kid will get in their account. 

One mom comes back and asks if that  amount is in addition to what they spent and when will the cost of the candy/ soda be reimbursed. 

Ummmm? We all agreed to donate the items we sold. I'm confused. 

I then go and pull this moms receipt. She spent a total of $108!!! 

Only 8 parents worked. Of the 7  other participants, the collective expenses for soda, water, candy, chips, and ice was $64.23. 

If I reimbursed this parent it would cut the profits by $15 or more per kid. 

I don't know what to do. 

It was made clear to buy one of each and this person took it upon themselves to go above and beyond, which is nice, but not helpful or a sensible thing to do. The rest didn't even spend $100 combined and we have a crap ton left over! Taking over my garage by the way. So not the point, I'll move on. 

Now what? 

Do I go back to everyone else and tell them they made a lot less  $$ because one person spent more than the rest of the group combined, or do I tell her she can be reimbursed overtime, and that I'm sorry she spent so much? 

I'm stressing out big time. I don't want to piss anyone off, but I also don't want those who followed directions to loose money. 

What would you do? 

Ps. $15/$16 may not seem like a lot, but it is when you figure that's almost half of your profits from a 3 hour shift, and we pay close to $7000 a year for this sport. Not including travel, hotels, food, etc when away from home. 

They should all be getting $45.48. If we had to reimburse this mom? We'd all get about $29. 

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Replies (11-20):
tanyainmizzou
by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Over time she can get money as you fundraise more.  She went over the top and can't be expected to be paid back immediately.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:58 PM

Parent crap for sure. I thought I could offer her the stuff that she bought we still have back, or I could let her opt out of the next and still give her a share. I don't know her very well. It could go good or could get ugly. One never knows with cheer moms, Oy! 

Quoting krysstizzle:

Eek. Oh, the joys of fundraising and parent crap (that's what I call it, "parent crap" - all those little joys of school politics and interactions...)

If it were truly decided by the group and clearly voiced that the food items would be donated, I would just explain to the mom that this is what happened, this is when it was decided, and this is when she agreed to or heard about it. 

If, by some chance, she was truly left out of the loop, talk to her and explain. Then ask if she would be willing to donate at least a part of what she spent. If there is still food and stuff left over, offer to give that to her in lieu of dollars or something. 

Good luck!

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:59 PM

That is exactly how I felt. Now how do I say say that in a tactful manner? Lol 

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Over time she can get money as you fundraise more.  She went over the top and can't be expected to be paid back immediately.

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:02 AM

Pretend you don't understand than thank her heartily for her tremendous generosity... loudly. Over and over. 

Give her a prize for raising the most :D

tanyainmizzou
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:02 AM
1 mom liked this

Something along the lines of "We appreciate how much you brought for our fundraiser, but reimbursing you immediately would cut most of the money we have already made for our kids.  We will pay back the money you spent, but as this was a fundraiser, we have to do it over time in order to keep money in the account to purchase more items for sale."

Then I would go out with the other parents for hot tea and crumb cake and make fun of her shoes.

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

gdiamante
by Silver Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:03 AM
1 mom liked this

"OK, you're off the hook for donations for the rest of the (year/semester/whatever period in which you'd likely spend $100)."

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

tanyainmizzou
by on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:05 AM

That works too, although I would still do tea and crumb cake and make fun of her shoes.

Quoting gdiamante:

"OK, you're off the hook for donations for the rest of the (year/semester/whatever period in which you'd likely spend $100)."

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Oct. 24, 2013 at 12:08 AM

Lol. You are rotten! laughing

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

That works too, although I would still do tea and crumb cake and make fun of her shoes.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:01 AM

We have actually had this happen, the parent knew it was a donation and there was no indication that any money would be reimbursed, we just gave a letter to the parent accepting the donation and exempting her from further fund raisers. She never said a word, and continued to donate when needed.

Is this a first time parent with your cheer group?  If so she may not understand all the particulars in fund raising

orangerze
by Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:06 AM
Reimburse her what she would have Gotton for the max of $20.00 they were told. The rest was donation and thank for the extra donation :)

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

You participated in a team fundraiser. Instead of just begging outside a local store, parents decided that they would sell candy, water, soda, and chips, in addition to collecting donations. 

Originally it was said that the parents who participated in buying items for fundraiser and working it could be  reimbursed from proceeds. The day of, all (or we thought) agreed to "donate" food and drink items and just use the leftovers for another fundraiser. Parents were told to buy one 24 package of water or soda, and one package of candy or chips. It was also stated that you shouldn't buy more than $20 in supplies for each parent. 

You count the $$ made, and it wasn't bad to be honest for only 3 hour shifts, then tell the parents what each kid will get in their account. 

One mom comes back and asks if that  amount is in addition to what they spent and when will the cost of the candy/ soda be reimbursed. 

Ummmm? We all agreed to donate the items we sold. I'm confused. 

I then go and pull this moms receipt. She spent a total of $108!!! 

Only 8 parents worked. Of the 7  other participants, the collective expenses for soda, water, candy, chips, and ice was $64.23. 

If I reimbursed this parent it would cut the profits by $15 or more per kid. 

I don't know what to do. 

It was made clear to buy one of each and this person took it upon themselves to go above and beyond, which is nice, but not helpful or a sensible thing to do. The rest didn't even spend $100 combined and we have a crap ton left over! Taking over my garage by the way. So not the point, I'll move on. 

Now what? 

Do I go back to everyone else and tell them they made a lot less  $$ because one person spent more than the rest of the group combined, or do I tell her she can be reimbursed overtime, and that I'm sorry she spent so much? 

I'm stressing out big time. I don't want to piss anyone off, but I also don't want those who followed directions to loose money. 

What would you do? 

Ps. $15/$16 may not seem like a lot, but it is when you figure that's almost half of your profits from a 3 hour shift, and we pay close to $7000 a year for this sport. Not including travel, hotels, food, etc when away from home. 

They should all be getting $45.48. If we had to reimburse this mom? We'd all get about $29. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN