Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Serious conundrum. Common sense. I'm freaking out!!! HELP!

Posted by   + Show Post

You participated in a team fundraiser. Instead of just begging outside a local store, parents decided that they would sell candy, water, soda, and chips, in addition to collecting donations. 

Originally it was said that the parents who participated in buying items for fundraiser and working it could be  reimbursed from proceeds. The day of, all (or we thought) agreed to "donate" food and drink items and just use the leftovers for another fundraiser. Parents were told to buy one 24 package of water or soda, and one package of candy or chips. It was also stated that you shouldn't buy more than $20 in supplies for each parent. 

You count the $$ made, and it wasn't bad to be honest for only 3 hour shifts, then tell the parents what each kid will get in their account. 

One mom comes back and asks if that  amount is in addition to what they spent and when will the cost of the candy/ soda be reimbursed. 

Ummmm? We all agreed to donate the items we sold. I'm confused. 

I then go and pull this moms receipt. She spent a total of $108!!! 

Only 8 parents worked. Of the 7  other participants, the collective expenses for soda, water, candy, chips, and ice was $64.23. 

If I reimbursed this parent it would cut the profits by $15 or more per kid. 

I don't know what to do. 

It was made clear to buy one of each and this person took it upon themselves to go above and beyond, which is nice, but not helpful or a sensible thing to do. The rest didn't even spend $100 combined and we have a crap ton left over! Taking over my garage by the way. So not the point, I'll move on. 

Now what? 

Do I go back to everyone else and tell them they made a lot less  $$ because one person spent more than the rest of the group combined, or do I tell her she can be reimbursed overtime, and that I'm sorry she spent so much? 

I'm stressing out big time. I don't want to piss anyone off, but I also don't want those who followed directions to loose money. 

What would you do? 

Ps. $15/$16 may not seem like a lot, but it is when you figure that's almost half of your profits from a 3 hour shift, and we pay close to $7000 a year for this sport. Not including travel, hotels, food, etc when away from home. 

They should all be getting $45.48. If we had to reimburse this mom? We'd all get about $29. 

by on Oct. 23, 2013 at 11:39 PM
Replies (21-21):
12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2013 at 11:32 AM

When you say it was made clear on to only spend $20 and no reimbursements were going to be made, do you mean it was printed on a flyer or something?  If so I would apologize for the misunderstanding and ask the mother if she would be okay with either agreeing to donate the full amount or perhaps a portion of the amount.  I would let her know you acknowledged her generosity in the letter you have wrote telling the parents how much each kid made.  You could also offer to give her whatever is left over from the sale to help off set her costs.   

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured