Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teen Tries to Burn Down House, Parents

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:03 AM
  • 11 Replies

Liberty Township Teen Tries to Burn Down House, Parents

Posted by on Sat, Oct 26, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Every teenager butts heads with their parents at some point.. It's practically in the definition of "teenager." On Wednesday, a 16-year-old Liberty Township boy took teen angst to a whole new level when he tried to burn his parents to death inside their home. 

According to Cincinnati's WCPO and Butler County Sheriff Richard K. Jones, "this was a cold, calculated plot." Police discovered drawings and journals that described the teen's plan to murder his parents, which he acted out at around 11:30 p.m. The suspect tied his parent's bedroom door shut, lit a fire outside of it, and then fled the scene in his father's car. 
click to enlarge Suspect's Facebook photo - 19 ACTION NEWS
  • 19 Action News
  • Suspect's Facebook photo

Perry Simon, the boy's father, escaped by jumping out of the bedroom's second story window. He broke both legs. His wife, Sharon Simon, was rescued by Liberty Township fire crews and deputies after suffering smoke inhalation. 

The Simons thought that their son was still inside the house when help arrived, prompting a search by fire crews. The teen confessed when he was found, and failed to display any sign of remorse.  

According to 19 Action News, the teen posted a status on Facebook around 7:15 p.m. the same day that read, "I'm so pissed at everything I'm boutta be wreckless." The 16-year-old is an honor student at Lakota West High School and didn't have a criminal record. 

The teen has been charged with attempted murder and aggravated arson. Sheriff Jones announced at a news conference that he will be suggesting that the teen is tried as an adult.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
romalove
by Roma on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I wonder what was going on in that boy's life that led him to act out in so heinous a manner.

Very sad.

jllcali
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:12 AM
This

Quoting romalove:

I wonder what was going on in that boy's life that led him to act out in so heinous a manner.

Very sad.

AlekD
by Gold Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I wonder if any investigation will be done to see if there was any kind of abuse going on. I mean, I know it's normal for teenagers to be mad at their parents, but to actually want them dead? To the extent that you plan and attempt to carry out their murder?

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Quoting romalove:

Very sad.

My guess is it's more mental issues than something that necessarily happened to him. I imagine abused children tend to show more remorse. 

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Quoting AlekD:

I wonder if any investigation will be done to see if there was any kind of abuse going on. I mean, I know it's normal for teenagers to be mad at their parents, but to actually want them dead? To the extent that you plan and attempt to carry out their murder?

I have a friend whose daughter has threatened to kill her Mom and siblings. She is just mentally ill. It's a shame because she is highly intelligent. 

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Let me guess.  He is on long-term medication. 

lga1965
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:39 AM

Psychosis...lack of remorse, amoral behavior and thoughts. ( Amoral means they have no idea what morality or immorality means) No sense of right and wrong. But it also could be long term medications. Kids minds are being destroyed by medications.

I wonder if there will be a follow-up article so that we might find out WHY he did that?  I hope so because this is horrendous.

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Quoting TranquilMind:

All medication is not bad.  My daughter is on an antidepressant.  It has made a tremendous change for the better in her.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 11:53 AM

That's good if your daughter is unaffected.  But have you seen the Black Box warnings on these drugs?  We certainly shouldn't be massively medicating kids.  That's just not right, and then they go nuts.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting TranquilMind:

All medication is not bad.  My daughter is on an antidepressant.  It has made a tremendous change for the better in her.

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Quoting TranquilMind:

That's good if your daughter is unaffected.  But have you seen the Black Box warnings on these drugs?  We certainly shouldn't be massively medicating kids.  That's just not right, and then they go nuts.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting TranquilMind:

I know that a child on medication needs to be watched and monitored.  I don't care what the medication is (frankly, teens in general just need to be watched and monitored).  My daughter was in big trouble from her depression, her affect was flat, she was starting to do self harming behaviors. she refused to go to therapy (even when I took her she wouldn't talk to the therapist), it was incredibly frightening.  The antidepressant has been remarkable.  Her affect is much more vibrant, she is able to attend school, she has stopped self-harm, has been able to establish good peer relationships and she has a boyfriend now for the last 9 months.  My daughter is a musician and very bright and creative and she is now able to be productive in those areas as well.

My daughter is followed by a doctor because of her medication and by me on a daily basis because I am her mother and responsible to make sure she gets through the teen years in one piece.  It is not easy.

I think we are sometimes too quick to medicate but that doesn't mean medication does not have value in many cases.  I spoke to the psychiatrist at length before medicating, and we went over options and also what the risks and benefits are.

I think the medication is hiding a different question, which is, what is happening in our society that so many kids are so stressed out that they cannot function normally?  Is it in the water, the air, the food we eat, is it the technology.....?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)