Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

S/O School's authority over medical decisions

Posted by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM
  • 39 Replies
1 mom liked this

This is a spin off of my own post regarding the school nurse.  Some seem to believe that the school nurse/school have the authority to override medical decisions made by the parent and their family doctors in regards to children attending school.  

I'm interested to find out just how far people believe this authority extends.  Should the nurse be able to send a child home because she decides they are too tired to be at school?  Should they be able to deny your child's right to access because they have to attend on crutches or in a wheel chair?  Or requiring you home school because of a life threatening allergy or asthma?  How about forcing a child to be medicated in order to attend?  

The overall opinion is that their concern is limiting the schools liability and one could argue that just about any medical condition increases their liability so where does it stop?  

Where do you personally draw the line on a school's authority over your parental decisions regarding your children?  

by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Ktina11
by Bronze Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Personally I do not think a school nurse should be able to override a doctor's instructions. If the child is a harm to himself/herself or another then yes- the school nurse trumps the parent for school decisions...but not a doctor. Again- only my opinion.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:28 PM
4 moms liked this
I think the school nurse has a very limited role...more of a service position. Administering meds, basic first aid and calling parents when kids are sick.

I have the final authority when it comes to my kids.
katy_kay08
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:42 PM

that's how I feel as well.  I've been very leery of giving them access to anything due to the horror stories I've heard of forced medicating.  

If I felt I could do a good job of educating them at home I probably would but I admit I doubt my ability to give them the education they need.  

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I think the school nurse has a very limited role...more of a service position. Administering meds, basic first aid and calling parents when kids are sick.

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I specifically did not sign the form allowing the nurse to make medical decisions.  When she called to get me to sign it, I told her I expected her to call  me if my daughter needed any medical attention... every time.  I frankly don't want anyone making any medical decisions unless I am notified. A bandaid, I am ok with but anything more, I want to know.

katy_kay08
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 1:06 PM

after witnessing a discussion between a parent and the nurse where the nurse was too busy to give the child his medication one day and didn't let the parent know I'm even less inclined to trust them with these things.  

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

I specifically did not sign the form allowing the nurse to make medical decisions.  When she called to get me to sign it, I told her I expected her to call  me if my daughter needed any medical attention... every time.  I frankly don't want anyone making any medical decisions unless I am notified. A bandaid, I am ok with but anything more, I want to know.

katy_kay08
by on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:28 PM

BUMP!

meriana
by Platinum Member on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:40 PM

Quoting yourspecialkid:

My thoughts exactly. Whenever my kids have brought home permission slips for a field trip, the slip has invariably had a place for the parent to sign authorizing medical treatment if the child is injured. I've always signed it but also wrote in: NO blood transfusions without prior parental contact and approval.
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Oct. 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

A school nurse does not get to override my child's doctor. If she tried, I would have a problem with it. 

LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:53 PM
1 mom liked this

I personally drew the line at 'not enrolling' -- we homeschooled for a lot of reasons.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 26, 2013 at 3:55 PM

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)