Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do We Have Souls?Atheist Vs Religious Views

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:17 AM
  • 25 Replies

Do you believe we have souls?

If you do believe we have souls do you believe in God?Is belief in the soul proof God exists?

Science views vs religious views.Your thoughts.

https://www.bigquestionsonline.com/content/do-we-have-souls

by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
FrogSalad
by Sooze on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I think that whatever it is we call a soul resides in the brain.  When the brain dies, so does the "soul".

Atheist Mama?  Join us!

How paramount the future is to the present when one is surrounded by children.  Charles Darwin

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:27 AM

I don't believe in the presence of a soul. I think when we die, the lights go out, and we become worm food. Circle of life. That isn't as pretty, flowery, or necessarily comforting as the thought of moving on to another plane of peace, love, and being surrounded by loved ones in order to make the thought of death less frightening, but it's the only thing we can definitively prove. You live, you die, you decompose and become part of the earth. That should be comforting in the sense that there is no more pain, there is no more suffering, and there is no more stress. The end. 

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 8:53 AM

No, I don't believe we have souls.  The existence of a soul has (yet) been proven or ruled out by science so far.  I don't rule out the possibility.   

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:01 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't believe in the idea of a supernatural or religious meaning of soul.

I think we have a mind, which houses our uniqueness, our personalities, our intelligences, our abilities, our feelings.

I think when we die, all energy housed within our bodies, including the brain, dissipates as heat energy into the atmosphere around us (energy cannot be created nor destroyed, only changed from one form to another).

rfurlongg
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:02 AM
Belief in a soul does not prove there is a God. Lack of belief there is a soul does not prove there isn't a God. Belief is purely based on Faith. Belief in a soul is purely based on Faith.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:47 AM
This...and to add a little mysticism, I also think that the life energy expelled back into the world could possibly explain "past life" memories and déjà vu.

Quoting romalove:

I think we have a mind, which houses our uniqueness, our personalities, our intelligences, our abilities, our feelings.

I think when we die, all energy housed within our bodies, including the brain, dissipates as heat energy into the atmosphere around us (energy cannot be created nor destroyed, only changed from one form to another).

IhartU
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this

Since every living thing is made of energy and energy never dies, it HAS to go somewhere when our bodies decay and return to the earth. If someone want to call that energy a 'soul' then so be it...

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Quoting Luvnlogic:

This...and to add a little mysticism, I also think that the life energy expelled back into the world could possibly explain "past life" memories and déjà vu.

Quoting romalove:

Interesting theory.  :-)

Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:53 AM
Haha! "Interesting" is a diplomatic response to what sounds cuckoo. ;) Someone had pitched this theory to me years ago and I had a less gracious response.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Luvnlogic:

Quoting romalove:

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 27, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Quoting Luvnlogic:

Haha! "Interesting" is a diplomatic response to what sounds cuckoo. ;) Someone had pitched this theory to me years ago and I had a less gracious response.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting Luvnlogic:

Quoting romalove:

No, lol, I didn't mean it to sound that way.

I struggle with ideas of mysticism and "deja vu" and "past life experiences" because I know there are people who swear they occur, but I just don't believe that they do.  I think deja vu for the most part is when we are seeing something similar now to something similar in our past that is resonating, even if we can't remember exactly what the other occasion was.  I am strange because I have a very, very good memory, especially for detail, and will often have flashbacks in the "now" to something that happened years ago, that might only tangentially be related.  I think for someone else that might be deja vu, but because I remember what the relation is, I don't see it that way.

I hope that makes some semblance of sense lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN