Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Touching Pregnant Ladies’ Bellies Is Now Illegal in Pennsylvania

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:46 PM
  • 32 Replies

Touching Pregnant Ladies’ Bellies Is Now Illegal in Pennsylvania

article image

Pregnant women in Pennsylvania will no longer suffer through belly petting and rubbing, if they don't want to.

Following a harassment charge filed against a man in Cumberland County who rubbed a pregnant woman’s belly without permission, the act is now illegal in the state.

Under the law, touching a pregnant woman’s belly without her permission is considered harassment.

The issue sparked debate on Facebook this week. Some thought the law was common sense.

“It's always polite and respectable to ask a person first if you can touch them. Just going up to anyone and touching them is rude and inappropriate,” a user wrote to ABC San Diego’s Facebook page.

“Um, duh?” wrote another user. “Of course it's against the law to touch someone without their consent! Why would it not be OK to have a say in who touches your body??”

Others were critical of the severity.

“I don't know about making it a crime, but certainly people should have the decency to ask. I didn't like it either. It's creepy being touched by strangers,” wrote one woman.

“Someone touched my arm in the elevator...where do I file charges?” wrote another.

“And this is the reason why our jails are over crowded! Stupid laws like this,” one man wrote.

Others asked how the act of touching a person is categorized as “harassment.”

“I thought unwanted touching of anyone is called assault...” one man wrote.

Renee Ramp, who works with pregnant women at a shelter, told KHOU that there are many reasons mothers should be concerned about people rubbing their tummies.

She said a man who touches pregnant women who is aggressive or suggestive, should be reported to police.

Sources: MSN Now, WABC-TV, KHOU

by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IhartU
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:32 PM

bump

hopealways4019
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Too me it so small. There is worse that could happen. I was pregnant 5 times, never had a problem. But if someone did? I wouldnt get all uptight and dial 911. Just politely tell whoever dont touch my belly. Also i never touched a stranger belly, its not that intriguing. I live in PA every week a black male is a victim of gun violence, more emphasis need to be put to ending it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PestPatti
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 4:06 PM

When I was pregnant, I would have welcomed this law.  

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Oct. 27, 2013 at 4:41 PM
1 mom liked this

It shouldn't be harassment, it should be assault, period. I used to have a lady at my old job who not only felt the urge to touch my belly, she'd try to jiggle it like it was a bowl of jello. That damn woman would stalk me through the building so she could touch my belly. Threatening to bitch slap her did not deter her. It got so bad that I had to go to the boss about it to make her stop. 

You (general you) wouldn't touch a non-pregnant person's belly, so I'm not sure why it was ever considered acceptable to do it to a pregnant woman.

AlekD
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 4:55 PM
The only time anyone other than my husband touched my pregnant belly was when we went to a concert and stayed after to get autographs and one of our favorite guitarists ever patted my belly after I got him to sign a onesie. It was awesome.

(It was Manabe from The Pillows, a Japanese band. We drove all the way to Seattle to see them. Good times.)
AlekD
by Gold Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 4:55 PM
O_o

Ok that is bizarre.

Quoting cjsbmom:

It shouldn't be harassment, it should be assault, period. I used to have a lady at my old job who not only felt the urge to touch my belly, she'd try to jiggle it like it was a bowl of jello. That damn woman would stalk me through the building so she could touch my belly. Threatening to bitch slap her did not deter her. It got so bad that I had to go to the boss about it to make her stop. 

You (general you) wouldn't touch a non-pregnant person's belly, so I'm not sure why it was ever considered acceptable to do it to a pregnant woman.

Devious333
by Bronze Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Same here. I had strangers touch my belly all the time and it was irritating.

Quoting PestPatti:

When I was pregnant, I would have welcomed this law.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Oct. 27, 2013 at 4:58 PM

The woman was absolutely off her rocker, no doubt. 

Quoting AlekD:

O_o

Ok that is bizarre.

Quoting cjsbmom:

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 5:05 PM

I didn't realize things were going well enough in Pennsylvania for them to spend time on stuff like this.

When I was pregnant, I found it annoying but not harassment.  With the exception of the psyco woman ^ it is harmless.  When I was pregnant with my first a man walked up to me in the airport and started patting me..and in babytalk saying somthing to the effect of "oh what a cute wittle bump."  He happened to have a little paunch that I patted and said the same to.  The look on his face was priceless...I told him that you don't just walk up and pet a stranger.

katy_kay08
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 5:06 PM
1 mom liked this

the fact that this was even necessary is sad.  It would seem obvious that you just don't go around touching strangers.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured