Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

17-Year-Old Kills Herself After Parents Banned Her From Using Facebook

Posted by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:47 PM
  • 15 Replies

17-Year-Old Kills Herself After Parents Banned Her From Using Facebook

article image

A teenager who killed herself after her parents forbid her from using Facebook left a note explaining she “can’t live without” the website.

Aiswarya Dahiwal, 17, was found dead Thursday morning in her home in the western Indian city of Parbhani.

Her suicide note read: “Is Facebook so bad? I cannot stay in a home with such restrictions as I can’t live without Facebook.”

Dahiwal was a second year college student and her parents wanted her to spend more time on her schoolwork. She asked her parents for permission to use Facebook Wednesday. When they said no, she got into an argument with them. Her parents also warned her to stop making long phone calls on her cell phone to her friends.

After the argument, she hung herself in her bedroom.

Her father, Sunil, told the Wall Street Journal the family is in “deep shock.”

Sunil said he “never thought she would ever take such a harsh step.”

There is no evidence of abuse in the family.

“Like all parents, their intentions were only to ensure that the girl did not go astray. They advised her to concentrate on her technical studies and stay away from long mobile chats and social networking sites,” investigating officer G. H. Lemgude of Nanalpeth police station told the Indo-Asian News Service.

Nearly 92 percent of Indian high school students prefer Facebook over making phone calls to communicate, according to the WSJ.

Sources: Inquisitr, Wall Street Journal

by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
parentalrights1
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM
Erkay then
spastic_poodle
by Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:49 PM
1 mom liked this
Geeze. I feel bad for her family, but what an effing ridiculous reason to end your life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mehamil1
by Platinum Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh My God. That addiction ran deep. Also, I don't think she was that stable to begin with. No one in their right minds kill themselves over something like this. 

Apgsteenmommy
by on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:51 PM

damn... maybe there was more going on in her life. Maybe it was her last final push and felt like she couldnt take it.... wow....

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 1:52 PM

What a stupid little girl.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:44 PM

She could not have been that stable to kill herself over something so ridiculous.

How incredibly sad for this family.

rfhsure
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Wow. I'm really saddened that 92% of those kids would rather use Facebook to communicate
lancet98
by Silver Member on Oct. 27, 2013 at 2:46 PM

My guess is that the child had depression and that can make a person's thinking become extremely negative. Depression can be difficult to detect in children and teens.  And in fact, many people still think it's not actually possible for a child or teen to have depression - signs of it are interpreted as being due to something else.

'Catastrophizing' is very common in depression.   Teenagers also tend to have extreme emotions and think little things are terrible disappointments.   That can compound the problems.

I'd also guess that there was more going on than just facebook use.

Quoting mehamil1:

Oh My God. That addiction ran deep. Also, I don't think she was that stable to begin with. No one in their right minds kill themselves over something like this. 

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:54 AM

There has to be.

Quoting Apgsteenmommy:

damn... maybe there was more going on in her life. Maybe it was her last final push and felt like she couldnt take it.... wow....

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

babie113
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:00 AM
sad ...but teenagers often get obsessed with well anything and often lack desition making skills and the ability to see whats really important plus awful impulse control .recipe for disaster .its amazing anyone survives the dramatic teen years
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN