Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What's the most offensive Halloween costume you've ever seen?

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM
  • 46 Replies

Julianne Hough's Blackface Costume Isn't Just Offensive, It's Bad (PHOTO)

by Nicole Fabian-Weber 

juliann hough blackfaceDancing With the Stars alum Julianne Hough attended a Halloween party over the weekend and her costume caused quite the stir. Hough dressed in blackface, going as Uzo Aduba's character "Crazy Eyes" from the hit show Orange is the New Black. The actress completed her look with an orange jumpsuit, a "Crazy Eyes" name tag, and a knotted hairdo. Needless to say, people were none too please with Hough's choice of costume.

After the backlash, Hough took to her Twitter to apologize for her costume, which was clearly in poor taste, saying: "I am a huge fan of the show Orange is the New Black, actress Uzo Aduba, and the character she has created. It certainly was never my intention to be disrespectful or demeaning to anyone in any way. I realize my costume hurt and offended people and I truly apologize."

While it sounds like Hough is sorry about the criticism, and wasn't deliberately trying to offend people, it really is a surprise that she displayed such foolish judgment. Also, for the record, Crazy Eyes' character usually wears a khaki jumpsuit, not an orange one. So yeah. Not even a really good costume.

Do you think Julianne is truly sorry for her costume? What's the most offensive Halloween costume you've ever seen?

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Euphoric
by Thumper kid spanks on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:45 AM
4 moms liked this

I'm not easily offended. The only one that bothers me is Travon.

denise3680
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:50 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Euphoric:

I'm not easily offended. The only one that bothers me is Travon.

I was going to say this very thing.  My thoughts on this are this, being in black face is not a new offense, but yet people still want to do it:/  Do not apologize for something after the fact:/  That drives me crazy and it is just flat out fake:/

dustinsmom1
by JENN on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:55 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't find Halloween costumes offensive, its Halloween! One of the couples I know went as the Pope and a pregnant nun! Its hysterical! They are lesbians as well, making it even funnier.
armywifey1983
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:44 AM

When we lived on a military post, one kid had the cajones to dress up as a dead soldier and trick or treat ON POST. SERIOUS BALLS!

denise3680
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Quoting armywifey1983:

When we lived on a military post, one kid had the cajones to dress up as a dead soldier and trick or treat ON POST. SERIOUS BALLS!

see that would piss me off at that kids parents:/  I get it it's Halloween but people should really thin before they do things:/

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:03 PM

Halloween costumes do not offend me

smurfbitebug
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:05 PM
They don't offend me, either.
momtoscott
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I have never found any costume offensive IRL.  

I thought the Trayvon Martin costume, pictured in another post here, was offensive.   

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:44 PM

I think they need to be in context and in the right setting. What someone wears to a private party might be different than what is acceptable at a family festival. We had a community festival last year and a guy came as a suicide bomber, complete with Saudi costume, which I thought was in poor taste for the setting. My co-worker came to the office party back in the 90s as Monica Lewinski complete with blue dress and spooge stain.

National Woman's Party

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:49 PM
2 moms liked this

How was that offensive? She was pretending to be a character on a T.V show.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured