Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What's the most offensive Halloween costume you've ever seen?

Posted by   + Show Post

Julianne Hough's Blackface Costume Isn't Just Offensive, It's Bad (PHOTO)

by Nicole Fabian-Weber 

juliann hough blackfaceDancing With the Stars alum Julianne Hough attended a Halloween party over the weekend and her costume caused quite the stir. Hough dressed in blackface, going as Uzo Aduba's character "Crazy Eyes" from the hit show Orange is the New Black. The actress completed her look with an orange jumpsuit, a "Crazy Eyes" name tag, and a knotted hairdo. Needless to say, people were none too please with Hough's choice of costume.

After the backlash, Hough took to her Twitter to apologize for her costume, which was clearly in poor taste, saying: "I am a huge fan of the show Orange is the New Black, actress Uzo Aduba, and the character she has created. It certainly was never my intention to be disrespectful or demeaning to anyone in any way. I realize my costume hurt and offended people and I truly apologize."

While it sounds like Hough is sorry about the criticism, and wasn't deliberately trying to offend people, it really is a surprise that she displayed such foolish judgment. Also, for the record, Crazy Eyes' character usually wears a khaki jumpsuit, not an orange one. So yeah. Not even a really good costume.

Do you think Julianne is truly sorry for her costume? What's the most offensive Halloween costume you've ever seen?

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Replies (11-20):
Mommabearbergh
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:49 PM
She dressed like her not like she put on black face doing it. Anyways the most offensive costume I have ever seen in person was the stereotypical dessert middle eastern costume right after9/11. I thought it was in poor taste.
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:50 PM

Now that's funny! LOL

Quoting NWP:

I think they need to be in context and in the right setting. What someone wears to a private party might be different than what is acceptable at a family festival. We had a community festival last year and a guy came as a suicide bomber, complete with Saudi costume, which I thought was in poor taste for the setting. My co-worker came to the office party back in the 90s as Monica Lewinski complete with blue dress and spooge stain.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

slashteddy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Racist or insensitive costumes. *shrug* If a kid comes to my door in a costume like that, I won't give them candy unless they're too young to know better.
thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I haven't seen any personally yet, the Trayvon one posted here the other day though I would consider pretty bad.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:54 PM

OH, I forgot to add she was also smoking a cigar.

Quoting paganbaby:

Now that's funny! LOL

Quoting NWP:

I think they need to be in context and in the right setting. What someone wears to a private party might be different than what is acceptable at a family festival. We had a community festival last year and a guy came as a suicide bomber, complete with Saudi costume, which I thought was in poor taste for the setting. My co-worker came to the office party back in the 90s as Monica Lewinski complete with blue dress and spooge stain.

National Woman's Party

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:55 PM
It wasnt offensive to begin with.
MomTiara19
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Im sure a majority of non black people will find her costume non offensive.

They probably will also find the costume with Trayvon and Zimmerman non offensive too.

Maybe if they could put black makeup on their face that wouldnt wash off ......they would get that the joke isnt funny when its on you.

Since when did Halloween become about mocking black people  day?

quickbooksworm
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:57 PM
I don't think the costume was offensive. The makeup she wore was not black face.
PrimmednPunked
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:00 PM

This is by far the worst i have seen

T-HoneyLuv
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:06 PM
I hated the Trayvon Martin one. The worst I have ever seen was when my friend went to a halloween party in Queens. These two assholes came dressed up as " The World Trade Center on fire and the other one was the " Hijacked Plane " . This was only one year after 9/11. Apparently the two guys got the shit kicked out of them which in my opinion was well deserved. Being a lifelong NYC resident I found that absolutely despicable.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)