Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What's the most offensive Halloween costume you've ever seen?

Posted by   + Show Post

Julianne Hough's Blackface Costume Isn't Just Offensive, It's Bad (PHOTO)

by Nicole Fabian-Weber 

juliann hough blackfaceDancing With the Stars alum Julianne Hough attended a Halloween party over the weekend and her costume caused quite the stir. Hough dressed in blackface, going as Uzo Aduba's character "Crazy Eyes" from the hit show Orange is the New Black. The actress completed her look with an orange jumpsuit, a "Crazy Eyes" name tag, and a knotted hairdo. Needless to say, people were none too please with Hough's choice of costume.

After the backlash, Hough took to her Twitter to apologize for her costume, which was clearly in poor taste, saying: "I am a huge fan of the show Orange is the New Black, actress Uzo Aduba, and the character she has created. It certainly was never my intention to be disrespectful or demeaning to anyone in any way. I realize my costume hurt and offended people and I truly apologize."

While it sounds like Hough is sorry about the criticism, and wasn't deliberately trying to offend people, it really is a surprise that she displayed such foolish judgment. Also, for the record, Crazy Eyes' character usually wears a khaki jumpsuit, not an orange one. So yeah. Not even a really good costume.

Do you think Julianne is truly sorry for her costume? What's the most offensive Halloween costume you've ever seen?

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Replies (21-30):
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:06 PM

It's difficult to tell in the OP photo but she did actually put "black" makeup on. 

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

She dressed like her not like she put on black face doing it. Anyways the most offensive costume I have ever seen in person was the stereotypical dessert middle eastern costume right after9/11. I thought it was in poor taste.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:07 PM

I haven't been offended by a Halloween costume but there have been a few I thought people should have been talked out of wearing.

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Quoting armywifey1983:

When we lived on a military post, one kid had the cajones to dress up as a dead soldier and trick or treat ON POST. SERIOUS BALLS!

i think this is the only one that would bother me... >.<

Mommabearbergh
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:13 PM

do you have a front pic of her because the side pic is showing her white skin

Quoting lizzielouaf:

It's difficult to tell in the OP photo but she did actually put "black" makeup on. 

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

She dressed like her not like she put on black face doing it. Anyways the most offensive costume I have ever seen in person was the stereotypical dessert middle eastern costume right after9/11. I thought it was in poor taste.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I'm at lunch and on my iPad, idk how to link a picture from the iPad lol. If you google her name + blackface you'll see a bunch of images.

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Mommabearbergh
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:20 PM
I saw pics where she had tinge to her skin. I am assuming that is the "black face" that people are talking about. I guess its not your stereotypical black face that you see like the trayvon martin costume but I can see how people can take it offensively.
Quoting lizzielouaf:

I'm at lunch and on my iPad, idk how to link a picture from the iPad lol. If you google her name + blackface you'll see a bunch of images.

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Quoting lizzielouaf:

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

mlg1989
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:22 PM
1 mom liked this
Quoting paganbaby:

How was that offensive? She was pretending to be a character on a T.V show.

Yeah I didnt quite understnad the outrage over it either.
When you dress up as a character then arent you suppose to look like the character? I would understand if she dressed up like a slave or something but she was a character from a show? Just because she is white she should only dress up like the white characters?
Maybe someone can better explain it to me how exactly its offensive?
raschwittay
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:35 PM
I wasn't offended, but I was bartending and saw a couple dressed as Michael Jackson (husband) and a little boy (wife).

The husband was in blackface. Both were white. But I could see how that would offend someone.
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Oct. 28, 2013 at 4:05 PM

That's what I was thinking.

Quoting paganbaby:

How was that offensive? She was pretending to be a character on a T.V show.

www.cafemom.com/group/116692
twicethemomjess
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 4:10 PM
I didn't find it offensive but I did not like the treyvon costume.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN