Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What's the most offensive Halloween costume you've ever seen?

Posted by   + Show Post

Julianne Hough's Blackface Costume Isn't Just Offensive, It's Bad (PHOTO)

by Nicole Fabian-Weber 

juliann hough blackfaceDancing With the Stars alum Julianne Hough attended a Halloween party over the weekend and her costume caused quite the stir. Hough dressed in blackface, going as Uzo Aduba's character "Crazy Eyes" from the hit show Orange is the New Black. The actress completed her look with an orange jumpsuit, a "Crazy Eyes" name tag, and a knotted hairdo. Needless to say, people were none too please with Hough's choice of costume.

After the backlash, Hough took to her Twitter to apologize for her costume, which was clearly in poor taste, saying: "I am a huge fan of the show Orange is the New Black, actress Uzo Aduba, and the character she has created. It certainly was never my intention to be disrespectful or demeaning to anyone in any way. I realize my costume hurt and offended people and I truly apologize."

While it sounds like Hough is sorry about the criticism, and wasn't deliberately trying to offend people, it really is a surprise that she displayed such foolish judgment. Also, for the record, Crazy Eyes' character usually wears a khaki jumpsuit, not an orange one. So yeah. Not even a really good costume.

Do you think Julianne is truly sorry for her costume? What's the most offensive Halloween costume you've ever seen?

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Replies (31-40):
jessicalahlah
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 6:24 PM
2 moms liked this

God, people get worked up over nothing anymore.

LHummel
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 6:45 PM

Well I think people get offended too easily. If a black person wants to make their face white to portray a white character that makes sense to me. If a white person wants to make their face black to portray a black character that makes sense to me as well. I know this was done in the past as an offensive act but in this case that is not what was happening. 

This makes me think of a little boy who was told he was wrong for making his face black when he was dressing up as President Obama for a school project. He was so excited to look like the president and then the school freaked out. 

SMH

ninjakids
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:51 PM

This. Its halloween, relax folks.

Quoting dustinsmom1:

I don't find Halloween costumes offensive, its Halloween! One of the couples I know went as the Pope and a pregnant nun! Its hysterical! They are lesbians as well, making it even funnier.

lga1965
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting armywifey1983:

When we lived on a military post, one kid had the cajones to dress up as a dead soldier and trick or treat ON POST. SERIOUS BALLS!

That is not serious balls. It is serious idiocy. And rude and insensitive. I am a former Air Force wife --21 years--and some of the best guys in the squadron, friends,  died in flight training excercises or were shot down and imprisoned in POW camps  , or killed over Vietnam,etc. You just don't joke about dead military men which it would be if wearing a costume like that.

TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Same for me as well. I've seen pictures of the 9/11 costumes and it's just horrible. Who in their right mind thinks that's ok?

Quoting T-HoneyLuv:

I hated the Trayvon Martin one. The worst I have ever seen was when my friend went to a halloween party in Queens. These two assholes came dressed up as " The World Trade Center on fire and the other one was the " Hijacked Plane " . This was only one year after 9/11. Apparently the two guys got the shit kicked out of them which in my opinion was well deserved. Being a lifelong NYC resident I found that absolutely despicable.

autodidact
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:21 PM

the Trayvon Martin costume. 

ReginaStar
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:39 PM
1 mom liked this
What makes this offensive is using black makeup. When dressing up as a character it doesn't require you to change your skin color. You don't see ppl trying to look white when dressing up as a white Disney character do you.
lovelytm
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:47 AM

I agree, a couple I know went this year as Miley and Robin Thicke. The husband is black dressed as a white person, but he did not put on "white face" to get his point across that he was Miley. 

Quoting ReginaStar:

What makes this offensive is using black makeup. When dressing up as a character it doesn't require you to change your skin color. You don't see ppl trying to look white when dressing up as a white Disney character do you.

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:12 AM
I don't find costumes offensive. I've seen tasteless ones though.
Shoota
by Lauren on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:19 AM

It doesnt offend me. I think she just liked the show and the character.

I think the Travon Martin was pretty classless.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN