Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

What's the most offensive Halloween costume you've ever seen?

Posted by   + Show Post

Julianne Hough's Blackface Costume Isn't Just Offensive, It's Bad (PHOTO)

by Nicole Fabian-Weber 

juliann hough blackfaceDancing With the Stars alum Julianne Hough attended a Halloween party over the weekend and her costume caused quite the stir. Hough dressed in blackface, going as Uzo Aduba's character "Crazy Eyes" from the hit show Orange is the New Black. The actress completed her look with an orange jumpsuit, a "Crazy Eyes" name tag, and a knotted hairdo. Needless to say, people were none too please with Hough's choice of costume.

After the backlash, Hough took to her Twitter to apologize for her costume, which was clearly in poor taste, saying: "I am a huge fan of the show Orange is the New Black, actress Uzo Aduba, and the character she has created. It certainly was never my intention to be disrespectful or demeaning to anyone in any way. I realize my costume hurt and offended people and I truly apologize."

While it sounds like Hough is sorry about the criticism, and wasn't deliberately trying to offend people, it really is a surprise that she displayed such foolish judgment. Also, for the record, Crazy Eyes' character usually wears a khaki jumpsuit, not an orange one. So yeah. Not even a really good costume.

Do you think Julianne is truly sorry for her costume? What's the most offensive Halloween costume you've ever seen?

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:33 AM
Replies (41-46):
leksismommy
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 1:30 AM

I saw one this weekend that irritated me severely and almost everyone else. A guy at a party was dressed up as James Holmes, the Century 16 movie theater shooter. Not to mention he was dressed like this in Aurora, CO

Brycensmommy85
by Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:26 AM
1 mom liked this

If you get offended by a costume you have too much time on your hands.

famiglia_bella
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 2:39 AM
Blackface has a negative history so it's best to just not. That feels like common sense to me. Why not just dress as the character and leave the color alone? To answer the question, I am not offended at costumes, I am offended at dressing up to poke fun at another culture or something like that.
muslimah
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Quoting NWP:

last year and a guy came as a suicide bomber, complete with Saudi costume, which I thought was in poor taste for the setting.

Reminds me of Halloween 2001. It fell on a week end night and we were at the club. Most had costumes on. Actually most had the SAME costume. Every one was either a Saudi bomber or fire man... it was so unoriginal.

I wasn't offended, I just thought they all looked so stupid and I felt like I was in the middle of ground zero

Subhan Allah ( سبحان الله )"Glory be to Allah"
 Alhamdulillah ( الحمدللہ )"All Praise to Allah"
 Allahu Akbar ( الله اكبر )"Allah is the Greatest"

LNLMommy
by Queen K on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:09 AM

yea-I don't see her costume as offensive at all really. The TM one though-VERY offensive

Quoting paganbaby:

How was that offensive? She was pretending to be a character on a T.V show.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:11 AM

Agreed. Absolutely in poor taste.

Quoting LNLMommy:

yea-I don't see her costume as offensive at all really. The TM one though-VERY offensive

Quoting paganbaby:

How was that offensive? She was pretending to be a character on a T.V show.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)