Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Obamacare website Messed up again!

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:09 AM
  • 8 Replies

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2013/10/28/republicans-hint-at-long-term-strategy-obamacare-website-only-tip-iceberg/

The federal government's online portal to buy health insurance suffered another glitch Sunday when the data services hub, a conduit for verifying the personal information of people applying for benefits under the law, went down in a failure that was blamed on an outside contractor. 

"Today, Terremark had a network failure that is impacting a number of their clients, including healthcare.gov," HHS spokeswoman Joanne Peters said in a statement Sunday evening. "[Health and Human Services] Secretary [Kathleen] Sebelius spoke with the CEO of Verizon this afternoon to discuss the situation and they committed to fixing the problem as soon as possible."

Jeffrey Nelson, a spokesman for Verizon Enterprise Solutions, of which Terremark is a part, told the Associated Press: "Our engineers have been working with HHS and other technology companies to identify and address the root cause of the issue. It will be fixed as quickly as possible."

The latest glitch came just days before Sebelius is scheduled to testify before the House Energy and Commerce Committee about the problems that have plagued the online health exchanges since they launched Oct. 1. 

"The incompetence in building this website is staggering," Rep. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., the second-ranking Republican on the panel, told "Fox News Sunday."

Republican lawmakers also signaled Sunday that their efforts to dismantle ObamaCare will go well beyond criticizing the problem-filled website, saying computer glitches are only the “tip of the iceberg” for the federal health care plan.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal told “Fox News Sunday” that creating and running a website on which millions of Americans can shop for and buy an insurance policy is “the easy part.”

“The real problems will be when it’s time to schedule your grandmother’s cancer surgery,” said Jindal, chairman of the Republican Governors Association and a potential 2016 presidential candidate.

Republicans have largely opposed President Obama’s signature health care initiative long before it was signed into law in 2010 -- using Americans’ concerns about the massive government undertaking to help retake the House in 2010.

More recent opposition -- including the attempt to use voter dissatisfaction with ObamaCare to win the 2012 presidential election and more recently trying to "defund" ObamaCare -- have failed.

However, conservatives say they fully intend to chip away at the law straight through 2016 when they’ll try again to elect a Republican president who will repeal the law.

Jindal also told Fox News the bigger issue is that problems like those related to the ObamaCare website are almost inevitable when the federal government gets too big.

“This is symptomatic of a liberal ideology that believes government should be running our health care," he said. “We don’t need the government running health care.”

Wyoming Republican Sen. John Barrasso told ABC’s “This Week” that the website issues “are just the tip of the iceberg.”

“There are bigger problems to come,” he said.

Among the concerns of Barrasso and others are the millions of taxpayer dollars being spent on a slow, crash-prone website and Americans having to pay a tax penalty in March after trying, but failing, to sign up for insurance, while the president has exempted businesses from having to pay.

“It has Americans saying, “ 'Why do I have to pay a penalty,' ” Barrasso said.

Critics also argue some Americans will be forced to drop existing policies for more expensive, ObamaCare-approved ones, despite the president vowing that people could keep the insurance they liked and had.  

“It’s all just not true,” Barrasso said.

Ohio Republican Gov. John Kasich told NBC’s “Meet the Press” that the problem with ObamaCare is that it doesn’t control costs.

“It drives up cost for Ohioans,” he said. “It threatens businesses to grow over 50 employees. The economy is stalled.”

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
DSamuels
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:18 AM
1 mom liked this

I remember reading that they need to rewrite 5 million lines of code. When asked about that in the hearing a woman from CGI said if she told her 325 employees they needed to rewrite 5 million lines of code they'd all walk out. Really? Sounds like there might be a deeper problem than plain incompetence there.

Now there's an article saying they need to scrap the whole thing and start over. So how much more money is that going to cost? Maybe CGI should be paying for it instead of us. 

Sebelius's interview with CBS, I think, said they really needed 5 years to do the website right, but they didn't have 5 years. So I guess do it quick and half-assed because we need it now. Then you end up with something flawed that you'll spend the time you didn't have making it right.

DSamuels
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:21 AM
1 mom liked this

The chairman of the House Intelligence Committee said ObamaCare’s Web site, already a tangled mess, might need to be rebuilt from scratch to to protect against cyber-thieves because he fears it’s not a safe place right now for health-care consumers to deposit their personal information.

“ I know that they’ve called in another private entity to try to help with the security of it. The problem is, they may have to redesign the entire system,” Rep. Mike Rogers said on Sunday on CNN’s “State of the Union” political talk show. “The way the system is designed, it is not secure.”

Returning to questions he raised last week at a chaotic oversight hearing on ObamaCare, Rogers said healthcare.gov could be vulnerable to cyber-mischief because of a potentially leaky data-sharing arrangement between the seven federal agencies that manage different parts of ObamaCare.

“That’s the weakest, most vulnerable part,” Rogers said of the data portals between agencies. “And it was clear to me they don’t have those boundaries secure.”

An estimated 700,000 Americans have managed to claw their way through the site’s infuriating computer glitches and traffic backups to successfully submit their applications for health insurance.

One agency, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, which screens applicants to determine which coverage and subsidies they qualify for, says in its ObamaCare fact sheet that their data hub “was specifically designed to minimize security risk, by developing a system that does not retain or store Personally Identifiable Information.”

But Rogers said federal agencies “have to store your application at some point, and that’s a lot of your very personal information. And it was very clear to me in the hearing that they do not have an overarching, solid cybersecurity plan to prevent the loss of private information.”

http://nypost.com/2013/10/27/obamacare-website-might-have-to-be-rebuilt/

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:40 AM
Republicans have largely opposed President Obama’s signature health care initiative long before it was signed into law in 2010 -- using Americans’ concerns about the massive government undertaking to help retake the House in 2010. More recent opposition -- including the attempt to use voter dissatisfaction with ObamaCare to win the 2012 presidential election and more recently trying to "defund" ObamaCare -- have failed. However, conservatives say they fully intend to chip away at the law straight through 2016 when they’ll try again to elect a Republican president who will repeal the law. Focus on this and they'll lose again…and again…attempting to cater to a minute % of the electorate will only frustrate the GOP- and many here.
masonmomma
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 10:45 AM
2 moms liked this

They had plenty of time to try to figure out how to make this work, why on earth did they wait so long then slapped something together? And these people are supposed to fix healthcare?

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I am not opposed to Obama or healthcare reform. However, I the present time I have no confidence in the launching and implementation of this program. In fact, I think the incompetent manner this has been thrown together is putting tens of millions of us in jeopardy of having no verifiable coverage to our personal information being hijacked by hackers.

Quoting masonmomma:

They had plenty of time to try to figure out how to make this work, why on earth did they wait so long then slapped something together? And these people are supposed to fix healthcare?

numbr1wmn
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 11:55 AM

You see no problems with the fact that people's information is being screwed up and the fact that thiis website is messed up at all?

Quoting Sisteract:

Republicans have largely opposed President Obama’s signature health care initiative long before it was signed into law in 2010 -- using Americans’ concerns about the massive government undertaking to help retake the House in 2010. More recent opposition -- including the attempt to use voter dissatisfaction with ObamaCare to win the 2012 presidential election and more recently trying to "defund" ObamaCare -- have failed. However, conservatives say they fully intend to chip away at the law straight through 2016 when they’ll try again to elect a Republican president who will repeal the law. Focus on this and they'll lose again…and again…attempting to cater to a minute % of the electorate will only frustrate the GOP- and many here.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I don't think they waited until the last minute.

Just based on what I've read and my experience with large scale apps, I think what we are seeing is a result of a couple things:

Poor management - several different companies working in different locations building different things, with little or poor coordination between them.

Poor testing (integration, load, balance & performance)

Changes made in the middle of the process by higher ups with no real technical insight (this happens ALL.  THE.  TIME.) - i.e. "just do it cause I said so, suck it up!" - this goes right back to poor management, because they either back up the person who wants the changes or aren't really paying attention.  I actually think this is probably the #1 problem.  I cannot tell you how many times I've seen a project get steered in a new direction right in the middle, with a conference room full of developers desperately trying to convince them it won't work that way, or will impact schedule.

Govt contracts.

Now you've got a handful of companies pointing fingers at each other, when in truth it's probably all of them.

Quoting masonmomma:

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

That would entail her acknowledging the Administration screwed the pooch on this one.  She is physically incapable of doing so, from all prior evidence. 

Quoting numbr1wmn:

You see no problems with the fact that people's information is being screwed up and the fact that thiis website is messed up at all?

Quoting Sisteract:

\

"Rule of thumb is if it lets you carry it in a purse, it's not a dog; it's a proximity alarm that refuses to be housebroken." -- Cracked.com

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)