Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Did Anyone Watch American Blackout on NatGeo Last Night?

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:05 PM
  • 28 Replies

Last night the National Geographic channel aired a mockmentary titled American Blackout, which follows the first 72 hours of an epic power grid failure in the United States, and the chaos that would quickly ensue. It's fiction, of course, but at least from the previews, I can't say that their scenario is too far off from what would happen. I've got it on my DVR, I'm about to watch.

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Oct. 28, 2013 at 12:08 PM

No I didn't see it but I want to now! I'm already prepping our Bug out Bags for an emergency. Worst case senerio, we'd have to hike out to safe point in the mountains. Really hoping the car will be an option,lol.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:15 PM
you won't be able to move in the mountains from all of the people running up there
lga1965
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Well,yah, I guess if you're a pessimist who wants to be miserable, sure watch this and get your survival kits ready.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tanyainmizzou
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:26 PM
1 mom liked this

When you have gone a week or more without power or running water because of a hurricane, you understand that having emergency supplies keeps you alive.  it isn't about being a pessimist.

Quoting lga1965:

Well,yah, I guess if you're a pessimist who wants to be miserable, sure watch this and get your survival kits ready.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:31 PM

Well, it kind of did happen in this country already, it was just contained in a smaller area. I always point to what happened in New Orleans during and after Katrina. That area really did resemble an apocalypse. Parts of New Orleans still do. The actions of a few dictate the reactions of the many. 

72 hours, it would realistically only take 72 hours to instigate a total breakdown of society. The grocery stores would sell out, if you could get groceries that is. You had better carry cash, your card would be worthless. All perishables would only last half a day. No running water, emergency services would be overwhelmed, and means of contact would be severed. It would only take 72 hours for total chaos to take hold.

Quoting lga1965:

lga1965
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:33 PM
I have gone without power and,water for several days..twice.
This is,all about a major blackout which seems to be a panic inducing, dramatic , but improbable scenario.
I only worry about hurricanes (been through two) ice storms that cut off electricity for weeks ( been through that )and tornadoes. I'm a realist.
This show is,a,"what if" thing .

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

When you have gone a week or more without power or running water because of a hurricane, you understand that having emergency supplies keeps you alive.  it isn't about being a pessimist.

Quoting lga1965:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LIMom1105
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:36 PM
The first 72 hours without power following Sandy was a walk in the park. Mass chaos did not ensue (there was chaos, but all things considered, it wasn't so awful). I didn't lose my home, just no power for 2 weeks. Honestly, you get used to it, but the worst thing was the cold weather and gas lines.

Anyway, I don't feel compelled to watch this.
tanyainmizzou
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:36 PM
2 moms liked this

Subject: Hurricane Season

We're about to enter the peak of the hurricane season. Any day now, you're going to turn on the TV and see a weather person pointing to some radar blob out in the Atlantic Ocean and making two basic meteorological points:

(1) There is no need to panic.
(2) We could all die.

Yes, hurricane season is an exciting time to be in Florida. If you're new to the area, you're probably wondering what you need to do to prepare for the possibility that we'll get hit by "the big one." Based on our experiences, we recommend that you follow this simple three-step hurricane preparedness plan:

STEP 1: Buy enough food and bottled water to last your family for at least seven days.
STEP 2: Put these supplies into your car.
STEP 3: Drive to Nebraska and remain there until New Years Day.

Unfortunately, statistics show that most people will not follow this sensible plan. Most people will foolishly stay here in Florida. So, we'll start with one of the most important hurricane preparedness items:

HOMEOWNERS' INSURANCE:

If you own a home, you must have hurricane insurance. Fortunately, this insurance is cheap and easy to get, as long as your home meets two basic requirements:

(1) It is reasonably well-built, and
(2) It is located in Nebraska or Idaho.

Unfortunately, if your home is located in Florida, or any other area that might actually be hit by a hurricane, most insurance companies would prefer not to sell you hurricane insurance, because then they might be required to pay YOU money, and that is certainly not why they got into the insurance business in the first place. So you'll have to scrounge around for an insurance company, which will charge you an annual premium roughly equal to the replacement value of your house. At any moment, this company can drop you like used dental floss. Since Hurricane Wilma, I have had an estimated 27 different home-insurance companies. This week, I'm covered by the Bob and Big Stan Insurance Company, under a policy which states that, in addition to my premium, Bob and Big Stan are entitled, on demand, to my kidneys, liver, and my 1st born male.

SHUTTERS:

Your house should have hurricane shutters on all the windows, all the doors, and -- if it's a major hurricane -- all the toilets and sinks. There are several types of shutters, with advantages and disadvantages:

Plywood shutters: The advantage is that, because you make them yourself, they're cheap. The disadvantage is that, because you make them yourself, they will fall off.

Sheet-metal shutters: The advantage is that these work well, once you get them all up. The disadvantage is that once you get them all up, your hands will be useless bleeding stumps, and it will be December.

Roll-down shutters: The advantages are that they're very easy to use, and will definitely protect your house. The disadvantage is that you will have to sell your house to pay for them.

Hurricane-proof windows: These are the newest wrinkle in hurricane protection: They look like ordinary windows, but they can withstand hurricane winds! You can be sure of this, because the salesman says so. He lives in Nebraska.

Hurricane Proofing your property: As the hurricane approaches, check your yard for movable objects like barbecue grills, planters, patio furniture, alligators, pythons, neighbors children, pets, visiting mother in law, etc... You should, as a precaution, throw them into your swimming pool (if you don't have a swimming pool, you should have one built immediately). Otherwise, the hurricane winds will turn these objects into deadly missiles.

EVACUATION ROUTE:

If you live in a low-lying area, you should have an evacuation route planned out. (To determine whether you live in a low-lying area, look at your driver's license; if it says "Florida," you live in a low-lying area). The purpose of having an evacuation route is to avoid being trapped in your home when a major storm hits. Instead, you will be trapped in a gigantic traffic jam several miles from your home, along with two hundred thousand other evacuees. So, as a bonus, you will not be lonely.

HURRICANE SUPPLIES:

If you don't evacuate, you will need a mess of supplies. Do not buy them now! Florida tradition requires that you wait until the last possible minute, then go to the supermarket and get into vicious fights with strangers over who gets the last can of SPAM or Vienna Sausages. In addition to food and water, you will need the following supplies:

1. 23 flashlights. At least $167 worth of batteries that turn out, when the power goes off, to be the wrong size for the flashlights.
2. Bleach. (No, I don't know what the bleach is for. NOBODY knows what the bleach is for, but it's traditional, so get some!)
3. 55 gallon drum of underarm deodorant.
4. A big knife that you can strap to your leg. (This will be useless in a hurricane, but it looks cool.)
5. A large quantity of raw chicken, to placate the alligators. (Ask anybody who went through Andrew; after the hurricane, there WILL be irate alligators.)
6. $35,000 in cash or diamonds so that, after the hurricane passes, you can buy a generator, water, ice, or chainsaw from a man with no discernible teeth.

Of course these are just basic precautions. As the hurricane draws near, it is vitally important that you keep abreast of the situation by turning on your television and watching TV reporters in rain slickers stand right next to the ocean and tell you over and over how vitally important it is for everybody to stay away from the ocean.

LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:37 PM

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Quoting lga1965:

lga1965
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes, I realize that. Been there,done that. This total blackout thing is too far out.in my opinion .
We were without power and water for six full days in Florida and nobody panicked.
I prefer reality, not science fiction.

Quoting ReadWriteLuv:

Well, it kind of did happen in this country already, it was just contained in a smaller area. I always point to what happened in New Orleans during and after Katrina. That area really did resemble an apocalypse. Parts of New Orleans still do. The actions of a few dictate the reactions of the many. 

72 hours, it would realistically only take 72 hours to instigate a total breakdown of society. The grocery stores would sell out, if you could get groceries that is. You had better carry cash, your card would be worthless. All perishables would only last half a day. No running water, emergency services would be overwhelmed, and means of contact would be severed. It would only take 72 hours for total chaos to take hold.

Quoting lga1965:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN