Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

NO CANDY for Halloween

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:26 PM
  • 116 Replies

My daughters school sent home a notice today mentioning that due to their new health and wellness policy, the parents are not to send any candy, cupcakes, sweet things, etc on Halloween when they have their celebration at school. No only do they restrict your kid from handing it out, but they aren't allowing them to bring or personally eat any of their own candy. Am I the only one who thinks this is a little overly strict?

by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pamelax3
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:30 PM

It is overboard, but this is the way things are now

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Our school hasn't allowed it for about two years now, and I am A-OK with it. I was tired of my kid coming home all hyped up on sugar because every day seemed to be someone's birthday or a celebration of some kind that involved sugary snacks. 

rfurlongg
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:30 PM
1 mom liked this

Eh, my sons school has been doing this for yrs. I see no harm. They get plenty of candy and junk trick or treating and at multiple parties. No candy or sugary treats while at schools seems perfectly fine and logical to me. 

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:31 PM

My son's new school is like that. His private school didn't have the restrictions though.

katy_kay08
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:35 PM
3 moms liked this

our schools do not have any type of halloween celebration in schools.  The PTA generally hosts some type of after school event (tonight it's roller skating and we aren't going) but nothing during school.  I'm good with the way it's set up.  I also wouldn't even think to put candy in my kid's lunch box.  

krysstizzle
by on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Eh, it's fine. It's not like kids need candy to properly develop or something. A kid can go through a school day without candy. There are plenty of opportunities in life for them to eat junk.

Our schools have started implementing no junk food during school. Parents can still send veggies or fruits, or "healthy" snacks. (I have my own issues with what they consider healthy, but that's a whole other thread.)

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:45 PM
Since my kid started elementary school (she is in 2nd grade now) they have had strict candy and treat rules. No cupcakes or candy or cookies, etc. at all during school hours. If you bring birthday snacks it has to be within the guidelines. They do have candy at school events not during school hours. I'm glad that they don't get all thst crap during school. She doesn't miss it since it has been that way since she started kindergarten.
Kfdmrw9312
by Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:50 PM
1 mom liked this

Yea, same story here about them allowing it at school functions (dances, etc) which is ironic to me because it seems a little hypocritical to now allow it at an in school holiday party during school hours, but yet, at a school sponsored function for the kids, also on school grounds (dances) they allow it, lol, it just seems dumb and conflicting to me, if they ban it, they should really just ban it all together, not say yes to at dances, but not for a big holiday party, you know?

Quoting stacymomof2:

Since my kid started elementary school (she is in 2nd grade now) they have had strict candy and treat rules. No cupcakes or candy or cookies, etc. at all during school hours. If you bring birthday snacks it has to be within the guidelines. They do have candy at school events not during school hours. I'm glad that they don't get all thst crap during school. She doesn't miss it since it has been that way since she started kindergarten.

A-nony-mous
by Bronze Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 8:51 PM
1 mom liked this

I understand why they don't do it but it does make me sad because it seems like holidays have basically been erased from school entirely and schools are no fun anymore, and then we wonder why there are such high drop out rates. 

Schools all over the US have banned balls, dodgeball, playground climbers, jump rope, even doing a cartwheel can get you suspended at some places. Then we wonder why children are fat.

Along with that we've now banned even being able to say "Merry Christmas" or even "Happy Holidays" and to draw any holiday-related pictures or even make holiday-related crafts in many schools because that, apparently, offends "certain groups".

They cannot wear costumes or even a holiday-themed hat anymore. That's "distracting".

And there are no holiday-themed parties at many because those involve *growl* *death* *hiss* that all-encompassing evil of SUGARRRRRRRRR!!!

So pretty much you can sit in your desk and write and then you can go outside and sit on the pavement until the bell rings and that's all you're allowed to do, while eating granola and lettuce leaves even on holidays.  

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 28, 2013 at 9:06 PM
A school function after hours seems like a good time to do parties and candy. I don't see it as hypocritical. The kids are supposed to do school work at school.

Quoting Kfdmrw9312:

Yea, same story here about them allowing it at school functions (dances, etc) which is ironic to me because it seems a little hypocritical to now allow it at an in school holiday party during school hours, but yet, at a school sponsored function for the kids, also on school grounds (dances) they allow it, lol, it just seems dumb and conflicting to me, if they ban it, they should really just ban it all together, not say yes to at dances, but not for a big holiday party, you know?

Quoting stacymomof2:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN