Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Tea party republican would vote to bring back slavery if that's what his constituents wanted - That's what a republic is about

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:53 AM
  • 60 Replies

A Republican Nevada state assemblyman said that he would vote for legislation in favor of slavery if his constituents wanted him to. According to the Las Vegas Sun, Jim Wheeler of Gardnerville, NV was speaking to the Storey County Republican Party when he made the remarks last August, although they are only now coming to light.

"If that's what they wanted, I'd have to hold my nose, I'd have to bite my tongue and they'd probably have to hold a gun to my head, but yeah, if that's what the citizens of the, if that's what the constituency wants that elected me, that's what they elected me for," he said. "That's what a republic is about."

Now, Wheeler said to the Sun, "liberal operatives" are spreading the video in an effort to smear him.

The assemblyman was referring to a blog post by a conservative commentator named Chuck Muth, who asked during Wheeler's candidacy, "(W)hat if those citizens decided they want to, say, bring back slavery? Hey, if that's what the citizens want, right Jim?"

Wheeler told the audience of Republicans, "yeah I would."

The remarks have kicked off a firestorm with Republicans and Democrats alike rushing to denounce Wheeler, who rode the 2010 wave of tea party fervor into his spot on the state

The Associated Press quoted a statement by Republican Gov. Brian Sandoval that said, in part, “Assemblyman Wheeler’s comments are deeply offensive and have no place in our society. He should retract his remarks and apologize.”

video

by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommabearbergh
by on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:59 AM
3 moms liked this
Yes most will say they are taking it out of context but who the hell would admit something like that. Dumbass. I willl die before ever becoming a slave and more then likely I would have taken some people with me but who says that. That's like saying u will blindly do something without thinking of the consequences.
numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Oct. 29, 2013 at 10:59 AM

http://www.rgj.com/viewint/article/20131028/NEWS19/131028025/Nevada-Assemblyman-Jim-Wheeler-stirs-firestorm-over-slavery-remark-watch-video-

7:20 a.m. Tuesday update:

Nevada Assemblyman Jim Wheeler issued the following statement on his website Tuesday morning:

"The media is having a good time with a clearly facetious statement I made in atown hall meeting earlier this year. They're attempting to spin an extreme example I used about supporting my constituents to accuse me of being racist. Anybody that knows me knows that's absurd, and anyone that views the comments in context understands that the whole point of the example is that racism of any kind issomething that I find completely unacceptable.

"During the meeting, I was asked how I would vote if I believed one way on an issue,and my constituents believed the opposite. I stated the truth that I believe, which isthat in a Representative Republic I'm hired by the people to represent their views. Iused an over the top example of something that I absolutely do not agree with, andeven mentioned that to get me to vote for such a thing, my constituents wouldliterally have to hold a gun to my head. In reality, that isn't the case at all. If my constituents wanted to do something as outlandish as bring back an abhorrent system, then I simply couldn't represent them anymore. They would remove mefrom office, or I'd have to resign.

"In the bill from the 2013 session that we were discussing, I'd heard from anunusually large number of constituents, and the comments were 3-1 in favor of thebill. That's a very clear mandate, and it was enough for me to set my opinion asideand represent the voters of District 39. Despite the media spin that claims I don't think for myself, I give careful consideration to the votes I cast, and I find that 99%of the time my constituents agree with me. That makes sense - they elected me because they know that my beliefs align with theirs.

"Unlike some legislators, I don't believe that my Assembly seat is a platform for my personal issues. I occupy the people's seat: it's my job to represent them faithfully, as I have done. As long as my constituents agree with my positions, I'm confident that they'll keep hiring me to do the job. And if they ever decided that they wanted me to advocate for an unacceptable issue, they'd have to find somebody else tobring that to the Assembly.

"If my comments were taken with offense by anyone, I sincerely apologize. Iintended the statement as an extreme example of something unacceptable, andhope that's how it's taken."

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:00 AM

and this man is IN office

Disgusting

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

Yes most will say they are taking it out of context but who the hell would admit something like that. Dumbass. I willl die before ever becoming a slave and more then likely I world have taken some people with me but who says that. That's like saying u will blindly do something without thinking of the consequences.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:02 AM

The assemblyman was referring to a blog post by a conservative commentator named Chuck Muth, who asked during Wheeler's candidacy, "(W)hat if those citizens decided they want to, say, bring back slavery? Hey, if that's what the citizens want, right Jim?"

Quoting numbr1wmn:

http://www.rgj.com/viewint/article/20131028/NEWS19/131028025/Nevada-Assemblyman-Jim-Wheeler-stirs-firestorm-over-slavery-remark-watch-video-

Nevada Assemblyman Jim Wheeler issued the following statement on his website Tuesday morning:

"The media is having a good time with a clearly facetious statement I made in atown hall meeting earlier this year. They're attempting to spin an extreme example I used about supporting my constituents to accuse me of being racist. Anybody that knows me knows that's absurd, and anyone that views the comments in context understands that the whole point of the example is that racism of any kind issomething that I find completely unacceptable.

"During the meeting, I was asked how I would vote if I believed one way on an issue,and my constituents believed the opposite. I stated the truth that I believe, which isthat in a Representative Republic I'm hired by the people to represent their views. Iused an over the top example of something that I absolutely do not agree with, andeven mentioned that to get me to vote for such a thing, my constituents wouldliterally have to hold a gun to my head. In reality, that isn't the case at all. If my constituents wanted to do something as outlandish as bring back an abhorrent system, then I simply couldn't represent them anymore. They would remove mefrom office, or I'd have to resign.

"In the bill from the 2013 session that we were discussing, I'd heard from anunusually large number of constituents, and the comments were 3-1 in favor of thebill. That's a very clear mandate, and it was enough for me to set my opinion asideand represent the voters of District 39. Despite the media spin that claims I don't think for myself, I give careful consideration to the votes I cast, and I find that 99%of the time my constituents agree with me. That makes sense - they elected me because they know that my beliefs align with theirs.

"Unlike some legislators, I don't believe that my Assembly seat is a platform for my personal issues. I occupy the people's seat: it's my job to represent them faithfully, as I have done. As long as my constituents agree with my positions, I'm confident that they'll keep hiring me to do the job. And if they ever decided that they wanted me to advocate for an unacceptable issue, they'd have to find somebody else tobring that to the Assembly.

"If my comments were taken with offense by anyone, I sincerely apologize. Iintended the statement as an extreme example of something unacceptable, andhope that's how it's taken."

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:03 AM

soundbytes

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting numbr1wmn:

slashteddy
by Bronze Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Ew.
meriana
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:38 AM
1 mom liked this

If my constituents wanted to do something as outlandish as bring back an abhorrent system, then I simply couldn't represent them anymore. They would remove mefrom office, or I'd have to resign.

This is what he SHOULD have said.  Odd that it was in his "apology" but apparently not in his original response to the question....makes one wonder where he really stands and what he would actually do in such a situation

futureshock
by Ruby Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:52 AM

And what if his constituents wanted all white men older than 60 to be shot?  Would he vote for that also?

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 11:55 AM

I get what he was trying to say. He totally stuck his foot in his mouth by doing so and turned this into something awful, but I understand his overall sentiment. He just worded this VERY poorly and has done way more damage with his comment than he probably thought he could.

jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Oct. 29, 2013 at 12:04 PM
1 mom liked this

I find it alarming that his answer wasn't flat out "no".

I don't care what else he said after "yes" - he stated he would inact an unconstitutional and dangerous law to enslave American Citizens if that's what his constituents wanted, no matter how much he would hate to do it?

Nuh-uh.  

What if his constituents wanted him to pass a law that states it's ok to rape a woman?  Would he pass that, no matter how much he hated it?

I don't think his defenders are quite "getting it".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN