Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

The exchange is not "Obamacare"

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 8:18 AM
  • 61 Replies
13 moms liked this
The ACA is a law. The exchanges are tools to allow people to comply with that law. If you have insurance through your employer, you are "participating in Obamacare." Obamacare is not a health care plan. You cannot sign up for Obamacare, you might sign up/register on the exchange. I am not advocating, just clarifying because it is starting to drive me nuts that everyone is talking about signing up for Obamacare, or railing that congress doesn't have to partake in Obamacare. They do, through their exceptional employer-based coverage, "participate in Obamacare." I don't "have Obamacare," I comply with it by having health insurance, whether private or medicare. That is all, carry on.
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 8:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 8:38 AM
3 moms liked this
Thank you. I've been scratching my head over the whole "Congress is exempt from obamacare" rant myself. After all this time it seems people still don't get even the most simple aspects of the law. There is plenty to not like but no one is going to have to "buy obamacare. "
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Yeah, but I think that ship has sailed.

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 8:45 AM
?

Quoting yourspecialkid:

yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 8:49 AM

Quoting stringtheory:

?

Quoting yourspecialkid:

What you said is true, but calling it Obamacare has already stuck.

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 30, 2013 at 8:50 AM
9 moms liked this

Not participating in health insurance doesn't mean you aren't complying with the law.  The law has a built in penalty that some people are taking as an option, and if you pay the penalty, you're still complying with the law.

If Congress exempted itself from the rules of ACA it means that they don't have to have insurance that meets ACA standards.  It doesn't mean they don't have insurance.  There are a lot of people finding out now that their current health insurance falls outside of ACA standards, and those policies will be cancelled.  They then have to get new policies or join policies that are on the various exchanges or pay the penalties.

It's confusing because it's overly complicated.  State to state it isn't even the same, the number of insurers involved in the exchanges, the pricing, etc.

Very very very very VERY bad law and horrible policy.

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 8:53 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't have a problem with it being called obamacare. You still cant "sign up for it."

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting stringtheory:

?

Quoting yourspecialkid:

What you said is true, but calling it Obamacare has already stuck.

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 8:56 AM
I agree that the law is terrible. Are you saying the health insurance that congress has is not compliant with ACA requirements? That is hard for me to understand since their insurance is so comprehensive.

Quoting romalove:

Not participating in health insurance doesn't mean you aren't complying with the law.  The law has a built in penalty that some people are taking as an option, and if you pay the penalty, you're still complying with the law.

If Congress exempted itself from the rules of ACA it means that they don't have to have insurance that meets ACA standards.  It doesn't mean they don't have insurance.  There are a lot of people finding out now that their current health insurance falls outside of ACA standards, and those policies will be cancelled.  They then have to get new policies or join policies that are on the various exchanges or pay the penalties.

It's confusing because it's overly complicated.  State to state it isn't even the same, the number of insurers involved in the exchanges, the pricing, etc.

romalove
by Roma on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Quoting stringtheory:

I agree that the law is terrible. Are you saying the health insurance that congress has is not compliant with ACA requirements? That is hard for me to understand since their insurance is so comprehensive.

Quoting romalove:

I said "if" because I didn't know if they did or didn't.  I'm Googling now and it says they didn't.  My thought was, though, that they have a "Cadillac" plan and those plans will be subject to an excise tax starting in 2018.

http://www.healthaffairs.org/healthpolicybriefs/brief.php?brief_id=99

Read this, it's informative.  If Congress exempts itself it will be to avoid paying taxes on their better plan.

jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

If a plan doesn't meet ACA standards, I honestly don't understand why somebody would want to keep it (in this insurance system we've built for ourselves).  The standards are fairly minimum, if your plan didn't have those then it was a pretty crap plan, IMO.

Although you should be able to keep it if you want it.  I get what the ACA is trying to accomplish, but it's doing it wrong. 

ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 9:25 AM
4 moms liked this
Quoting jessilin0113:

If a plan doesn't meet ACA standards, I honestly don't understand why somebody would want to keep it (in this insurance system we've built for ourselves).  The standards are fairly minimum, if your plan didn't have those then it was a pretty crap plan, IMO.

Although you should be able to keep it if you want it.  I get what the ACA is trying to accomplish, but it's doing it wrong. 

Well in my case, I no longer have a uterus. But ACA mandates maternity and birth control be covered. Why should I be required to pay for services that I will for sure never need?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)