Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

ques. for homeschoolers and those who don't vaccinate, ETA

Posted by   + Show Post

just curious....

If you homeschool and/or don't vaccinate:

Do you find yourself in any way avoided or excluded from family gatherings at times or all times by extended family members?

Do you think this is due to your lifestyle choices?

ETA: Thank you everyone! Your comments turned out to be interesting and informative.

by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:15 PM
Replies (11-20):
katy_kay08
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:21 PM

We have never been excluded from family events.  I'm not sure if our family is all that different from other largish families but none of us really talk about our parenting decisions with each other nor do we question each other about them.  

anotherandree
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I think there is a difference between excluded and "talked behind your back" or "made to feel less than on many other occasions."  We have a cousin that does not vax because she is too damn lazy to take all 5 of her kids to the health dept because she has no insurance (and no, her children have also not seena doctor since they were born for check-ups either).  When her oldest 2 entered kinder she FINALLY got them shots bc their grandmother took them, but when the middle child had a tantrum about going, my idiot cousin did not make her go.  So when it came time to sign her up for kindergarten she actually tried to explain to the school, "She (the child) refused to go get her shots.  She threw a fit!"  The school, of course, would not take that as a legit reason, so my cousin got angry and decided to homeschool!

I will freely admit that we talk behind her back and make rude comments when she is not around.  However, we would never exclude her or her children from holidays simply because her children are not vaxed.  The rest of the family is, so her kids are at risk at that point, not ours.

LadyBugMom09
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:35 PM
I homeschool and vaccinate. We are never excluded.
mrs.hartman12
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:37 PM
Nope not at all.
sha_lyn68
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:38 PM

We homeschool and selectively vaccinate. No, our family doesn't discriminate against us for our choices although I doubt most know we selectively vaccinate.

maddiesmommy5
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:50 PM

We don't vax but we never get excluded from anything. Certain family members do love to bring it up and try to change our minds with misinformation.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:51 PM

I don't vaccinate and have never been excluded from family functions that i am aware of.

It's not something that comes up so I'm not sure how they'd know.

LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:55 PM
We go to everything and dd goes to public school.
famiglia_bella
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:59 PM

No.

emmy526
by Bronze Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:59 PM

nope, not at all

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN