Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Stranger pays for family's Pizza Hut meal, praising single mom's parenting

Posted by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:17 PM
  • 17 Replies
1 mom liked this

A single mother while at dinner with her two children, one who has Asperger's and ADHD, was suprised when a stranger paid for her family's Pizza Hut meal and left a lengthy message praising her "loving parenting."

WTVD

A single mother at a Pizza Hut in Durham, N.C., with her two children, one who has Asperger's and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, was suprised when a stranger paid for her family's Pizza Hut meal and praised her 'loving parenting.'

A kindhearted stranger made a single mom's month when he paid for her family's Pizza Hut meal and left a lengthy message praising her "loving parenting."

The woman, who has not been named, was stunned when she asked for the check at the Durham, N.C., branch on Friday and was told it'd already been taken care of.

She was also handed a gift card and a three-page note.

Signing his name as ‘Jake,’ a stranger at a Pizza Hut in Durham, N.C., paid for a family’s meal and left a lengthy note praising the single mother and saying 'you and your children have amazing futures.'

WTVD

Signing his name as ‘Jake,’ a stranger at a Pizza Hut in Durham, N.C., paid for a family’s meal and left a lengthy note praising the single mother and saying 'you and your children have amazing futures.'

The letter started, "I don't know your back story, but I've had the privilege of watching you parent your children for the past 30 minutes."

"I have to say thank you for parenting your children in such a loving manner," it added.

A woman at a Pizza Hut in Durham, N.C., with her two children — one who has Asperger's syndrome and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder — was suprised on Friday when a stranger paid for her family's meal and left a note praising the single mom and urging her to 'keep up the good work.'

WTVD

A woman at a Pizza Hut in Durham, N.C., with her two children — one who has Asperger's syndrome and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder — was suprised on Friday when a stranger paid for her family's meal and left a note praising the single mom and urging her to 'keep up the good work.'

Signed only by "Jake," it went on to say he was "positive that you and your children have amazing futures."

And it ended: "Keep up the good work. When it starts to get tough don't forget others may be watching and will need the encouragement of seeing a good family being raised."

A stranger who paid for a family’s Pizza Hut meal in Durham, N.C., on Friday left a lengthy note praising the single mother with two children — one who has Asperger's syndrome and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

WTVD

A stranger who paid for a family’s Pizza Hut meal in Durham, N.C., on Friday left a lengthy note praising the single mother with two children — one who has Asperger's syndrome and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

The mom, who'd gone up to the man sitting alone in a nearby booth before her meal to apologize for any noise her two children may make, was so moved she contacted ABC11.

Revealing she was a divorced victim of domestic abuse — and that her 4-year-old daughter had bullying tendencies and her 6-year-old son had Asperger's syndrome and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder — she said, "You just don't know what people go through."

"Here I've had the worst few years of my life and I never get recognition like this. I just do what I can to get by. I want him and his family to know that he's awesome," she added.

by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuvmyAiden
by Silver Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 3:52 PM

That's awesome!

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:03 PM

this is wonderful

punky3175
by Punky on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:04 PM
What a great story.
LNLMommy
by Queen K on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:10 PM
2 moms liked this

aww that's really nice. Kind of unexpected in a place like Durham

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:51 PM
Nice to see. So many times people focus on the negative. Every one needs a boost now and again.
Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Nice
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 5:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Doing that is actually part of my job. Yes...i have one of the collest jobs on the planet. It's part of my community awareness duties. When i see an exceptional example of good parenting behavior i give the parent some words of support. Super quick like, "its so hard to have a toddler in the store sometimes...looks like you've got patience down pat today! OR, You're the first parent i've seen in a long time actually stop to hold their crying infant in the grocery store...i'll bet that means a lot to your baby...what a lucky guy!.

I probably do it once a month and i don't get gift cards or anything.

Parents need to know when they are doing the right things more than they need to know when they are making a mistake.

FeeFee123
by New Member on Oct. 30, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I saw this earlier today, too.  What a great gift for this mom.  It encouraged me to look around to see how I can bless a struggling mom.  Thanks for posting the story! 

rfurlongg
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 6:50 PM

Love seeing the kindness of others.

lga1965
by on Oct. 30, 2013 at 6:57 PM

Quoting LNLMommy:

aww that's really nice. Kind of unexpected in a place like Durham

There are some really nice neighborhoods and nice people in Durham. I know its pretty crappy close to downtown but you can't generalize about the whole city.  :)  My son and his family live in Chapel Hill and I lived in Raleigh for several years so I am familiar with the Triangle Area,.

Now, Fayettteville is a different story!  LOL,.Yuk.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)