5 THINGS EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW ABOUT SLUT SHAME THIS HALLOWEEN
**5 THINGS EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW ABOUT SLUT SHAME THIS HALLOWEEN**
1. Calling women sluts/whores/skanks is a form of sexism.â¨When it comes to costumes, clothing, and sexual behavior, women are judged by a very different rubric than men. When a guy has a lot of sex, heâs a stud. If a woman behaves the same way, sheâs a âwhoreâ, âdirtyâ, âused upâ, and doesnât deserve to be treated with respect. While people may use terms like âmanslutâ or âmanwhoreâ, the consequences for the âmanwhoreâ are not nearly as extreme. People donât see him as unworthy of respect. He wonât be degraded, bullied, or have lies and rumors spread about him. His reputation wonât be destroyed. Being a âmanwhoreâ is dismissed as him *~just being a guy~*.
Because slut shame is a result of sexist ideas about what a woman âshouldâ be or is allowed to do/be in the first place, women slut-shaming each other is a form of internalized sexism. This is where a woman believes sexist things about herself and other women. It can be very disruptive and harmful to womenâs relationships with each other.
These are some of the ways slut shame is entrenched in sexism.
2. Slut shame limits womenâs freedom.â¨Calling women names and degrading them when they *break the rules* about how a woman is SUPPOSED to dress or behave ensures that women donât have the same freedom men do. They are not allowed to dress or do what they likeâŚunless they want to pay the price of being bullied or dehumanized for it.
3. Slut shame is one of the ways women compete with each other for male approval. â¨Slut-shaming creates a divide between women. There are the âslutty stupid onesâ with âno self respectâ and there are the âproper ladiesâ who deserve to be treated as human. Instead of building women up and cultivating healthy friendships, slut shame turns women against each other so that the slut-shamer can prove sheâs ânot like thatâ and therefore worthy of respect. It puts women into harmful categories based on nothing more than how someone dresses or is perceived by others.
4. Slut shame is a form of bullying.â¨Girls who break outside the mold of what they are supposed to do/be sexually and are thusly labeled sluts are at a higher risk of anxiety, depression, and suicide. There have been many suicides that started with bullying in the form of slut shame. RIP Felicia Garcia, Amanda Todd, Phoebe Prince, Hope Witsell, Stacey Ramboldâs unnamed victim, and all the other young women who have tragically taken their own lives because of the heartlessness and sexism of their peers.
5. Slut shame leads to rape, sexual assault, and sexual violence.â¨Because people see âslutsâ as unworthy of respect, she is therefore not entitled to say no. In this mentality, âslutsâ become a target of harassment, assault, and even rape. After the violence, she is then blamed for it. After all, she was just a dumb slutâŚ.she asked for it, right?
This Halloween (and always) be a good person. Respect women, respect their choices, and check yourself when you find yourself thinking or saying someone is a slut. Itâs a deeply held attitude about women that we all learn from our sexist culture, and it is vital that we all take the time to unlearn it. These attitudes are more vicious and dangerous than they might appear.