Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Why Elle Spain's Plus-Size Cover Girl Gives Us Hope

Posted by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 6:19 AM
  • 24 Replies
1 mom liked this

I'm glad to see some curves but even my husband's eyes bugged out and asked "Is THAT what they consider plus sized?"...

Is this a step forward or backward?

http://shine.yahoo.com/fashion/why-elle-spain-s-plus-size-cover-gives-us-hope-194844342.html

photo: Elle Spain

Haven’t heard of model Tara Lynn? Brace yourself, because the plus-size “it girl” just landed the November cover of Elle Spain, rocking black short-shorts, a black leather jacket, and a “hell yeah” attitude.

The cover line accompanying the image reads, "Mujer Real," or “Real Woman” in English. Shot by photographer Xavi Gordo, who has snapped celebrities such as Helena Christensen and Poppy Delevingne, Lynn is also featured in a seven-page inside editorial, modeling fall 2013 basics. She is shown sprawled on the floor wearing a little black dress, perched on a stool in a fitted trench coat and stilettos, showing leg in just a long-sleeved black shirt, and revealing her wild side in a leopard-print blouse.   

She's certainly not new to the world of fashion mags. Once dubbed “The Body” by French Elle (the magazine featured Lynn on its April 2010 cover and in a 20-page editorial spread), the Seattle-born beauty's résumé is impressive. While she’s never landed the cover of an American magazine, Lynn fronted H&M’s 2012 spring plus-size swimwear line “Big Is Beautiful” in which she lounged poolside wearing leopard-print one-piece bathing suits and sheer cover-ups. She's also graced the covers of Vogue Italia (June 2011) and V magazine (January 2010) and scored a blue jeans editorial in the August 2010 issue of Glamour. 

“The Elle Spain cover is a coup for curvy women, who are often excluded from the American fashion world or regulated to a special ‘curvy’ section,” Alissa Wilson, a fashion blogger at Stylish Curves, aplus-size fashion website, tells Yahoo Shine. “It’s in part, a business decision — the European fashion world has received lots of flak for using too-skinny models in the past, so their media has become more inclusive.”

In 2006, after public protest, Fashion Week Madrid imposed a ban on too-skinny models, turning away 30 percent of women who had participated in the previous year’s event, and even hired medics to monitor the women backstage. The ban received support from England and the mayor of Milan, Italy, considered following suit. Earlier this year, Israel instituted a similar ban. Vogue has made similar efforts — in May, 19 editors at Vogue editions around the world signed a pact, vowing to project a healthier image of models. 

“Lynn’s Elle Spain cover is a step in the right direction — she looks sexy and shows skin, but the stylists could have experimented more with bolder colors,” according to Wilson. “Lynn looks beautiful in leopard print, often considered a lazy, go-to pattern for designers who don't know how to dress curvy women. The truth is, leopard print can have a slimming effect." 

Could the European fashion world set a firmer precedent for the United States? When it comes toplus-size fashion, there’s been muddled progress. This fall, Elle magazine featured curvy actress Melissa McCarthy on its annual “Women in Hollywood” November issue, which aims to highlight the year’s buzziest female celebrities. Unlike fellow cover stars Shailene Woodley and Marion Cotillard, who were clad in bra tops and swimsuits, McCarthy was wrapped in a wool and cashmere blue Marina Rinaldi coat, revealing only a glimpse of flesh on her décolletage. The cover triggered backlash from fans who claimed the magazine had tried to cover up the funny lady.

In June, Kate Upton landed the cover of Vogue — indicating that the fashion world was adopting a men’s magazine philosophy (fleshy, healthy-looking models), but the publication largely devoted the inside article to Upton’s exercise and eating habits. There have even been rumors that Vogue editor Wintour has approached actress Lena Dunham about appearing on the cover of the fashion bible. But we’ll have to wait and see. 

“There’s a good chance that the fashion world will fully embrace the larger community if there’s a real demand for change,” says Wilson. “The blogosphere is exploding with plus-size fashion columns, and we’re seeing more role models like Robyn Lawley, Kate Upton, and Tara Lynn. However, only until the  industry works with more plus-size designers and fashion schools incorporate courses on designing for fuller figures, will we see true progress."

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 6:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CorbinsMumma
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 6:23 AM
1 mom liked this
She looks average to me... I must be considered a beach whale if that's plus sized
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:44 AM

I wouldn't call her plus-sized, either.  She is absolutely gorgeous and looks amazing in that outfit.  I find it interesting that the editors didn't go for the deep cleavage shot the way they do with a lot of "plus-size" models and instead focused more on her legs and face.  I like how strong she looks.  

Sometimes I think the super skinny models that we all complain about are elevated partly because they are so waifish that they look as if they have no desire for anything.  That makes them a little less of an existential threat.  

SuzCahn
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:52 AM

Is size 6 now plus size? smh

rfurlongg
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:52 AM
I once heard that if you are not a size 0 in the fashion industry are are plus size. Most plus size models wear a size 8. I do not know if that is true. I just heard it once.

She looks beautiful.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nelliesmommy
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:53 AM
She is pretty and not plus sized. If she is she carries the weight well.
Perfect_Misfit
by New Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 7:53 AM
I adore Tara Lynn!!!! She's the most beautiful model out there and puts the twigs to shame. She's got a LOT of confidence, beauty and courage to do what she does and in my book she's just the type of role model little girls need. She's a normal sized girl not plus size.
IhartU
by Gold Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:17 AM

That's normal HEALTHY sized. IMO a plus sized model has fat rolls and cellulite.

survivorinohio
by René on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Quoting IhartU:

That's normal HEALTHY sized. IMO a plus sized model has fat rolls and cellulite.

I am a 14 and I have a belly "pooch" but no rolls and no cellulite.  I just look a little pregnant :|

I should mention that even when I was a size 5 in jeans I was a 12 in tops, broad shoulders, long arms and a big ribcage. Now at least suits fit lol.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

CorbinsMumma
by Member on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:39 AM
I'm a size 4-6 depending on stores and I have rolls... leftover skin from baby

Quoting IhartU:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jakesmom323
by on Oct. 31, 2013 at 8:43 AM
She looks like a size 4/6. In model terms, that would be big. I think that's a healthy size for a model or anyone, but will never be the norm.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN