Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Ohio Mom Kelley Williams-Bolar Jailed for Sending Kids to Better School District

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:09 AM
  • 213 Replies

An Ohio mother's attempt to provide her daughters with a better education has landed her behind bars.

Kelley Williams-Bolar was convicted of lying about her residency to get her daughters into a better school district.

"It's overwhelming. I'm exhausted," she said. "I did this for them, so there it is. I did this for them."

Williams-Bolar decided four years ago to send her daughters to a highly ranked school in neighboring Copley-Fairlawn School District.

But it wasn't her Akron district of residence, so her children were ineligible to attend school there, even though her father lived within the district's boundaries.

The school district accused Williams-Bolar of lying about her address, falsifying records and, when confronted, having her father file false court papers to get around the system.

Williams-Bolar said she did it to keep her children safe and that she lived part-time with her dad.

"When my home got broken into, I felt it was my duty to do something else," Williams-Bolar said.

While her children are no longer attending schools in the Copley-Fairlawn District, school officials said she was cheating because her daughters received a quality education without paying taxes to fund it.

"Those dollars need to stay home with our students," school district officials said.

Sentence Intended as Deterrent

The district hired a private investigator, who shot video showing Williams-Bolar driving her children into the district.

The school officials asked her to pay $30,000 in back tuition.

Williams-Bolar refused and was indicted and convicted of falsifying her residency records.

She was sentenced last week to 10 days in county jail and put on three years of probation.

She will also be required to perform community service, the Beacon Journal reported.

Williams-Bolar said she was being singled out.

"I don't think they wanted money ? ," Williams-Bolar said. "They wanted me to be an example."

Presiding Judge Patricia Cosgrove acknowledged as much.

"I felt that some punishment or deterrent was needed for other individuals who might think to defraud the various school districts," Cosgrove said.

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PrimmednPunked
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Here is another story just like this one.

Homeless mother who sent six-year-old son to better school in the wrong town jailed for five years

• Tonya McDowell also admitted selling drugs and was given a combined sentence of 12 years
  • Judge ruled she must serve five years and then a further five years on probation

By GRAHAM SMITH

A mother who pleaded guilty to fraudulently enrolling her six-year-old son in the wrong school district has been sentenced to five years in prison.

Tonya McDowell sent her son to an elementary school in Norwalk, Connecticut, instead of her home city of Bridgeport.

The 34-year-old, who was homeless when she was charged with felony larceny last year, said she wanted the best education possible for the boy.

Jailed: Tracy McDowell pleaded guilty to fraudulently enrolling her six-year-old son in the wrong school district and has been sentenced to five years in prison

Jailed: Tracy McDowell pleaded guilty to fraudulently enrolling her six-year-old son in the wrong school district and has been sentenced to five years in prison

McDowell last week entered her plea at Norwalk Superior Court under the Alford Doctrine, which means she does not admit guilt but concedes the state has enough evidence to convict her.

Authorities told the hearing that she used a babysitter's address to enroll her son in kindergarten in Norwalk when he should have attended schools in Bridgeport, her last permanent address.

Her case drew national attention and support from civil rights leaders and other advocates who wanted the charge dismissed.

Good intentions: The 34-year-old, who was homeless when she was charged last year, said she wanted the best education possible for her son

Good intentions: The 34-year-old, who was homeless when she was charged last year, said she wanted the best education possible for her son

McDowell told police she was living in a van and occasionally slept at a Norwalk shelter or a friend's Bridgeport apartment when she enrolled her son Norwalk's Brookside Elementary School.

Police said McDowell stole $15,686 worth of 'free' educational services from Norwalk.

She also pleaded guilty to four counts of sale of narcotics, which will be included in her prison sentence.

In a separate case, she pleaded guilty on February 7 to selling drugs.

Sign: The school in Norwalk, Connecticut, at the centre of the controversy

Sign: The school in Norwalk, Connecticut, at the centre of the controversy

School: Brookside Elementary, where Ms McDowell 'illegally' sent her son

School: Brookside Elementary, where Ms McDowell 'illegally' sent her son

McDowell's lawyer, Darnell Crosland, said she agreed to accept a plea bargain rather than continue fighting the charges even though she insists she is not guilty.

Mr Crosland said: 'You shouldn't be arrested for stealing a free education. It's just wrong.'

McDowell was sentenced to 12 years in jail, suspended after she serves five years, and five years probation.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2108733/Homeless-mother-Tanya-McDowell-sent-son-6-better-school-wrong-town-jailed-years.html#ixzz2jPIJMeiY 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Nicoleb9
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:12 AM
8 moms liked this
I'm sure a lot of people have their own "good reasons" for breaking the rules, but what's the point in having rules if everyone gets to decide on their own if their situation is unique or good enough to break them?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:14 AM
3 moms liked this

She should have moved in with her dad. You can't have it both ways...she either wanted a better school and was willing to do what she had to do, or she was a little too lazy and took the easy way out.

PrimmednPunked
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:14 AM
19 moms liked this

Why is it that school districts are not equal?  Why is it that a child is forced to go to school in a poverty and crime ridden area where he/she will then be given out of date text books and does not get the same education as a child in the district next to them?  

I don't blame either of these mothers.  They wanted better for their children because our system is so skewed and lopsided.  

Quoting Nicoleb9:

I'm sure a lot of people have their own "good reasons" for breaking the rules, but what's the point in having rules if everyone gets to decide on their own if their situation is unique or good enough to break them?

PrimmednPunked
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this

Who's to say he had room for her and her 2 children?

Quoting UpSheRises:

She should have moved in with her dad. You can't have it both ways...she either wanted a better school and was willing to do what she had to do, or she was a little too lazy and took the easy way out.

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:17 AM
3 moms liked this

It is sad that this is something people have to conider. However, cheating is cheating and it does set a bad example for their children. I don't want my kids to go to the school district we live in so I'm going to be paying for private school. You do what needs done when you think it needs done. So these women should have done something legal to get their kids into the district they wanted them in.

Nicoleb9
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:19 AM
7 moms liked this
For the same reason some children get to wear designer clothes and some get to wear thrift store clothes. For the same reason some kids receive private school educations instead of public. For the same reason some people can afford an Ivy League college education and others have to use community colleges. It's unfortunate, but it's reality. You can't make everything tit-for-tat. Being unfortunate doesn't change anything. She lied on purpose and is receiving punishment for it.

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

Why is it that school districts are not equal?  Why is it that a child is forced to go to school in a poverty and crime ridden area where he/she will then be given out of date text books and does not get the same education as a child in the district next to them?  

I don't blame either of these mothers.  They wanted better for their children because our system is so skewed and lopsided.  

Quoting Nicoleb9:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Healthystart30
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:21 AM
10 moms liked this
This is why schools should be equal! Spending thousands of dollars to prosecute and imprison people that want better education for their kids is such a waste of money! It would have been cheaper for tax payers to pay the money to keep these children in better schools.
tanyainmizzou
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
So then pay the difference for her kids to attend there. Kids cost money to educate.
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:22 AM

In the article she states she lives there part time. How would that be possible if he didn't have room?

Quoting PrimmednPunked:

Who's to say he had room for her and her 2 children?

Quoting UpSheRises:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)