Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

After hours daycare-Poll

Posted by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:00 PM
  • 18 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you be interested in an after hours daycare?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 18

View Results

I've been thinking of opening up an after hours/drop in daycare, but wanted to do some research first.  I figured starting out here would be good.  I'm taking a poll to see how worth it it would be, so here are a few questions

-Would you be interested in an after hours/drop in daycare, why or why not?

-What type of area do you live in? (rural, suburban, urban)

by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TEIMSfamily
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:05 PM

I would love it! I don't always get off exactly at 5pm on the dot. Some days I have to work until 8pm. My daycare now wants them picked up at 6pm. Not to mention sometimes having someone to take the kids to so I could grocery shop without kids! WOOO!

bellaaax3
by New Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:14 PM

exactly! my son's daycare is only open until 7 pm. sometimes I work 3-1130 and have to pay a babysitter on top of the daycare.  I thought opening a daycare by a hospital would be good too because a lot of people work night shifts.  The only thing I'm nervous about is couples that have kids.  I'm a single mom so it's hard, but some people that are married, it might not be as much of an issue because one parent could watch the child.

Quoting TEIMSfamily:

I would love it! I don't always get off exactly at 5pm on the dot. Some days I have to work until 8pm. My daycare now wants them picked up at 6pm. Not to mention sometimes having someone to take the kids to so I could grocery shop without kids! WOOO!

LaughCryLive
by Silver Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this
I'd love it! This is one of the reasons I chose to remarry. My mother was always stuck watching dd when I worked nights. Even when DH gets here we will both be working and going to school so an overnight daycare might still come in handy.
TEIMSfamily
by on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:16 PM

I am married. My husband just walked in at 10pm. :) We could definately use it. 

Quoting bellaaax3:

exactly! my son's daycare is only open until 7 pm. sometimes I work 3-1130 and have to pay a babysitter on top of the daycare.  I thought opening a daycare by a hospital would be good too because a lot of people work night shifts.  The only thing I'm nervous about is couples that have kids.  I'm a single mom so it's hard, but some people that are married, it might not be as much of an issue because one parent could watch the child.

Quoting TEIMSfamily:

JMmama
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:19 PM
I would not be interested in after hours daycare because I don't have a need for it. However, I used to know a mom with an in home daycare that specifically did after hours care. She mainly watched strippers' kids. She had a bunch of little cots and the kids would basically sleep the whole time and then she'd feed them breakfast.
bellaaax3
by New Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:22 PM

yeah that's what i'm thinking about.  A lot of people have 9-5 jobs and a lot of people don't.  I would definitely do an all night daycare, but even for people who work past day care hours, i thought it might be helpful. I also live in a small town and there's a hospital nearby, so i figured a lot of nurses and over night workers might need it.

Quoting JMmama:

I would not be interested in after hours daycare because I don't have a need for it. However, I used to know a mom with an in home daycare that specifically did after hours care. She mainly watched strippers' kids. She had a bunch of little cots and the kids would basically sleep the whole time and then she'd feed them breakfast.

lovemymini
by Bronze Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:23 PM
Yes I'd love it!! We have a couple here that we love for date nights they are open til 12am on Friday and Saturday. During the week they are open til 10:30pm.

It's great to have a place you can trust!! They are drop in, affordable and clean. They also do a homeschool curriculum during the day.

They go by a hourly rate or you can buy a block for a discounted rate.
JTE11
by Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:25 PM

I live in a rural area and there is just no after-hours anything around here. The only thing open past dinner time are bars and Walmart. It can be done, but you'd need to know your area and what is needed there. A couple of towns over there used to be a big Sony plant and so that kind of thing was in demand, but when it closed all of those daycares also closed because thee just weren't tons of people doing shift work anymore who needed it. I myself wouldn't be interested because I stay at home and don't need daycare at this point but there really isn't a demand for it around here. It might be nice to have a drop-in daycare but that would never work here because they schedule staffing depending on how many kids are coming in. There might only be one or two workers at the one near my house so if I dropped DD off their ratios might be wrong, so that's why nobody does drop-in around here. If you live in a busy area with lots of people working a lot of different shifts it could maybe work for you. You are right to be doing research first! Good luck!

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Nov. 1, 2013 at 11:30 PM

We used an after hours daycare tonight. 

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Nov. 2, 2013 at 12:03 AM
I personally wouldn't, but I know there is often a need for it. However, I'd suggest researching the requirements. I know a couple that ran a licensed 24 hour daycare out of their home, and because of regulations about the number if kids they could have, their kids couldn't have friends over unless they turned away paying kids. They eventually downgraded to only conventional hours.

At any rate, my first step would be researching the requirements and going from there. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN