Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

First Suspected Case Of Krokodil In Central Ohio

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:32 AM
  • 26 Replies

First Suspected Case Of Krokodil In Central Ohio

Friday November 1, 2013 12:25 AM
UPDATED: Friday November 1, 2013 12:27 AM
Copy Link Embed

A drug more potent and devastating than heroin may be in Central Ohio for the first time. It's called krokodil.

Many users who get hooked on it do not survive.

The drug popped up in Russia first.

There are suspected cases in Arizona, Oklahoma, Illinois and now Ohio.

The reaction to this chemical concoction of a drug is unlike anything anyone has ever seen before.

"When it's injected into the vein, it causes initial skin tinting of a greenish color. The raised area of the skin looks like crocodile. That's where it comes from," Deputy Chief Jim Davis of the Columbus Division of Fire said.

Now, the drug may be in Central Ohio.

"The patient had a large, open wound and it is consistent with what we've been seeing, or the trend when people use this type of medicine," Deputy Chief Davis said.

Deputy Chief Davis says a homeless man told Columbus medics that he used krokodil. He said the man had wounds consistent with the drug.

Davis is now warning the entire fire department that krokodil appears to have made it to Columbus.

The medical director for the Central Ohio Poison Center says there have been only two other possible cases of krokodil in the state. None of them were in Columbus.

Local emergency responders say they are ready for what lies ahead.

"Our biggest issue with this is the fact that anybody who uses needles in some type of drug situation, is highly suspected of other highly contagious diseases, such as hepatitis and HIV," Deputy Chief Davis said.

The home-made drug poisons the user's body.

krokodil is really an opiate called desomorphine. It's similar to heroin and oxycodone, but it hits a user quicker. It's more potent that morphine.

Krokodil damages the veins and soft tissue, causing rapidly growing gangrene. It turns the users skin a scaly black or green color.

Stay with 10TV on the air and online for more information.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
907PickleMom
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:34 AM
Wtf?
motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:38 AM

there was 2 cases in Az, dummies

rfurlongg
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 7:34 AM

That sounds horrible. I had not heard of krocodil before.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:05 AM
The drug itself does not do the damage. When kids make it at home and put in too much of the additives........paint thinner, etc. That is what eats away at the body.
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:22 AM
1 mom liked this
I had heard about it a few months ago and googled images. I highly recommend against it. It's beyond disturbing.

Quoting rfurlongg:

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:28 AM
That's just terrifying. I had never heard of this.
lga1965
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Are the users suicidal or just stupid?

That is disturbing.

survivorinohio
by René on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Ya, it might be the most upsettiing images I have ever seen which is saying something.  I am not squeeminsh, I went to the "Bodies" exhibit lol.  This is horrible though.

Quoting lizzielouaf:

I had heard about it a few months ago and googled images. I highly recommend against it. It's beyond disturbing.

Quoting rfurlongg:

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

survivorinohio
by René on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:47 AM

Quoting lga1965:

Are the users suicidal or just stupid?

That is disturbing.

I think that heroin addicts try it  because its cheaper and then they become even more addicted to it.  Its pretty sick.

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM

It was just a matter of time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN