Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

"God's Not Dead" an upcoming movie

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:15 AM
  • 38 Replies

http://www.godsnotdead.com/

I almost laughed watching the trailer, as the professor is such a caricature of the "liberal professor," and  they have him saying things like, "I can't wait to fail you" (to the Christian student) and "God is dead." 

Now, in a good philosophy course, that would be a good one to throw out: Argue this statement one way or another. But here they make the professor....well, angry and set on proving that God does not exist. He's prolly Satan himself, no?

Here, college is apparently a baaaaad place to send your children.

I see the sheep bleating their way to the (very short) movie lines. I wonder if any theater will show this?   Maybe it will only be shown in the mega-churches.

Oh, BTW, I believe in a higher power/God/whatever you choose to call it.

I just SMH at this utter crap.

BTW, why the hell do the conservative Christians care so much whether or not others believe as they do? WTF?!

by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mcginnisc
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:38 AM

I have no clue what you are ranting about. I read the synopsis of the movie. Did you read the synopsis or just watch the trailer? 

According to the synopsis, the professor requires all of the students to sign a declaration that "God is dead" in order to pass his class. One student refuses so they strike a bargain. IF the student can prove that God is not dead, he passes...so, the student accepts and goes on a journey that threatens his education and his beliefs and relationships. It does not sound like Christians are trying to convert anyone. 

This movie is going to be very much like Facing The Giants, FireProof and the other Christians movies that have come out in recent years. The new movie Grace Unplugged is also a Christian based movie and playing in theaters... I'm pretty sure this will as well. I heard an interview with Keven Sorbo that said as a Christian it was very difficult for him to play the part of the professor in this movie, but he felt like he had to do it for his own journey. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

lga1965
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:42 AM

whatever.

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:42 AM
3 moms liked this
Seems she's ranting about the ridiculous premise: realistically, your average atheist college professor would not be that strange and ridiculous.

Quoting mcginnisc:

I have no clue what you are ranting about. I read the synopsis of the movie. Did you read the synopsis or just watch the trailer? 

According to the synopsis, the professor requires all of the students to sign a declaration that "God is dead" in order to pass his class. One student refuses so they strike a bargain. IF the student can prove that God is not dead, he passes...so, the student accepts and goes on a journey that threatens his education and his beliefs and relationships. It does not sound like Christians are trying to convert anyone. 

This movie is going to be very much like Facing The Giants, FireProof and the other Christians movies that have come out in recent years. The new movie Grace Unplugged is also a Christian based movie and playing in theaters... I'm pretty sure this will as well. I heard an interview with Keven Sorbo that said as a Christian it was very difficult for him to play the part of the professor in this movie, but he felt like he had to do it for his own journey. 

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:56 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it looks like a fantastic movie. I'm sure it will be shown in theaters and I will be going to see it. 

mcginnisc
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Quoting stringtheory:

Seems she's ranting about the ridiculous premise: realistically, your average atheist college professor would not be that strange and ridiculous.

Quoting mcginnisc:

I could not tell as she was all over the place in her rant. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

krysstizzle
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Meh.

So yesterday, i told my ds that his broken video game was god telling him to get off his butt and go outside. He replied "i thought that guy was dead". Touche, kid.
(Im mostly atheist, if that wasnt clear...) ;)
Suzukigirl710
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm gonna see it if it comes to a theater close to me.  If not I will rent it.  Wish they would make more Christian movies. 

rfurlongg
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:16 AM
It is marketed to a very specific audience enforcing already held beliefs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tanyainmizzou
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:21 AM
2 moms liked this

How is the stereotype of the professor different than the stereotype in other films of the religious or Southern or conservative?

AlekD
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Who cares?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)