Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

"God's Not Dead" an upcoming movie

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.godsnotdead.com/

I almost laughed watching the trailer, as the professor is such a caricature of the "liberal professor," and  they have him saying things like, "I can't wait to fail you" (to the Christian student) and "God is dead." 

Now, in a good philosophy course, that would be a good one to throw out: Argue this statement one way or another. But here they make the professor....well, angry and set on proving that God does not exist. He's prolly Satan himself, no?

Here, college is apparently a baaaaad place to send your children.

I see the sheep bleating their way to the (very short) movie lines. I wonder if any theater will show this?   Maybe it will only be shown in the mega-churches.

Oh, BTW, I believe in a higher power/God/whatever you choose to call it.

I just SMH at this utter crap.

BTW, why the hell do the conservative Christians care so much whether or not others believe as they do? WTF?!

by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Replies (11-20):
parentalrights1
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:32 AM
1 mom liked this
Conservative stereotypes are generally true to an extent. Normally portrayed as people out to make a theocracy and acting like everyone against that is persecuting them. Yeah that's accurate

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

How is the stereotype of the professor different than the stereotype in other films of the religious or Southern or conservative?

tanyainmizzou
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 9:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting parentalrights1:

Conservative stereotypes are generally true to an extent. Normally portrayed as people out to make a theocracy and acting like everyone against that is persecuting them. Yeah that's accurate

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

How is the stereotype of the professor different than the stereotype in other films of the religious or Southern or conservative?

Same thing can be said for the professor.

Suzy_Sunshine
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Sadly, there is a significant faction of Christians in the US that insist on engaging in a culture war because they would like to live in a theocracy and are completely unable to respect other American's civil rights and religious views. In order to spread this unAmerican and unethical way of life they must create strawman opponents for their childish dupes to rail against. 

Most unfortunate but it is just part  of the current climate. 

jllcali
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:26 AM
Don't care
jllcali
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 10:28 AM
I see this as in the same vein as Yes Virginia There is a Santa Claus.
TheLadyAmalthea
by Bronze Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I don't understand... if people can have athiest movies, why can't christians have their own movies? Why does it bother people so much? I feel on the middle, I'm not a conservative Christian, and I'm not completely liberal. Religulous is ok, why not this one? And during my three years at college, I did come across professors who came off like this. There are all sorts of people on different ends of this spectrum, and I'm sure there are also Christian professors who are the same. In the end, it's a movie. People can either choose to watch it or choose not to. What does bother me is when people shove it down your throat whether you want it or not. Such as handing out anti-abortion cards to children on Halloween... but that's another story.

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I hope to be able to see it.

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:20 AM

lmao -- Please don't blame your comprehension difficulties on me. giggle. So Christian of you : )

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting stringtheory:

Seems she's ranting about the ridiculous premise: realistically, your average atheist college professor would not be that strange and ridiculous.

Quoting mcginnisc:

I have no clue what you are ranting about. I read the synopsis of the movie. Did you read the synopsis or just watch the trailer? 

According to the synopsis, the professor requires all of the students to sign a declaration that "God is dead" in order to pass his class. One student refuses so they strike a bargain. IF the student can prove that God is not dead, he passes...so, the student accepts and goes on a journey that threatens his education and his beliefs and relationships. It does not sound like Christians are trying to convert anyone. 

This movie is going to be very much like Facing The Giants, FireProof and the other Christians movies that have come out in recent years. The new movie Grace Unplugged is also a Christian based movie and playing in theaters... I'm pretty sure this will as well. I heard an interview with Keven Sorbo that said as a Christian it was very difficult for him to play the part of the professor in this movie, but he felt like he had to do it for his own journey. 

I could not tell as she was all over the place in her rant. 

PinkButterfly66
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:20 AM
1 mom liked this

It's great that Kevin got work.  But this is a fictional movie based on nothing that actually occurred in real life.  No secular university or college would even condone such a thing.  If something like that truly would happen, the student would mearly have to complain about the professor and the professor would probably lose his job.  

While such a discussion does have its place in a philosophy class, I really doubt that it would go to such length as putting the student's college career on the line.  

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Quoting TheLadyAmalthea:

if people can have athiest movies, why can't christians have their own movies?

Christians can have any sort of movie they want.

The question isn't whether they can have a particular movie, but whether the movie is a good one (quality production values), whether the movie is accurate (if portrayed as reality rather than fantasy), and whether the movie is good for society (or whether it misleads, deludes, creates strife and hate, unwarrantedly reinforces feelings of persecution).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN