Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

"God's Not Dead" an upcoming movie

Posted by   + Show Post

http://www.godsnotdead.com/

I almost laughed watching the trailer, as the professor is such a caricature of the "liberal professor," and  they have him saying things like, "I can't wait to fail you" (to the Christian student) and "God is dead." 

Now, in a good philosophy course, that would be a good one to throw out: Argue this statement one way or another. But here they make the professor....well, angry and set on proving that God does not exist. He's prolly Satan himself, no?

Here, college is apparently a baaaaad place to send your children.

I see the sheep bleating their way to the (very short) movie lines. I wonder if any theater will show this?   Maybe it will only be shown in the mega-churches.

Oh, BTW, I believe in a higher power/God/whatever you choose to call it.

I just SMH at this utter crap.

BTW, why the hell do the conservative Christians care so much whether or not others believe as they do? WTF?!

by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Replies (31-38):
fireangel5
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Dean Cain irritates me, there is just something about him.....

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I did not see the trailer in the same way the OP did.

Watching the trailer did not make me angry, or otherwise.  It looks like an interesting movie. 

The professor does appear to be rather angry but I think that is the way he is supposed to be 'portrayed'.  I do wonder if, in the end, the Professor comes to believe, again, or at all.

Meh, it is a movie.  I'm sure it is marketed to a certain demographic. Most movies are.

For some, it will seem silly and a waste of time, a movie with an agenda.  For others, it will be seen as beacon for their faith.  I think that is the point.  Get people talking.  Like we aren't already.

Bottom line, I like the actors in it, outside of Dean Cain.  I won't pay to see it in a theater but I can see renting it, out of curiosity.

Any professor attempting to fail a student because that student does not agree with where they stand is wrong.   The discussion is a good one and I can see this happening but the premise to fail off the mark is wrong.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting fireangel5:

Dean Cain irritates me, there is just something about him.....

Quoting FromAtoZ:

I did not see the trailer in the same way the OP did.

Watching the trailer did not make me angry, or otherwise.  It looks like an interesting movie. 

The professor does appear to be rather angry but I think that is the way he is supposed to be 'portrayed'.  I do wonder if, in the end, the Professor comes to believe, again, or at all.

Meh, it is a movie.  I'm sure it is marketed to a certain demographic. Most movies are.

For some, it will seem silly and a waste of time, a movie with an agenda.  For others, it will be seen as beacon for their faith.  I think that is the point.  Get people talking.  Like we aren't already.

Bottom line, I like the actors in it, outside of Dean Cain.  I won't pay to see it in a theater but I can see renting it, out of curiosity.

Any professor attempting to fail a student because that student does not agree with where they stand is wrong.   The discussion is a good one and I can see this happening but the premise to fail off the mark is wrong.

Yeah.  I've never liked him.  For what ever reason, he just creeps me out. lol

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this
He's not dead because he never existed.
mcginnisc
by Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Quoting fireangel5:

How can a school allow a teacher to fail or pass students based on their religious beliefs?

Quoting mcginnisc:

I have no clue what you are ranting about. I read the synopsis of the movie. Did you read the synopsis or just watch the trailer? 

According to the synopsis, the professor requires all of the students to sign a declaration that "God is dead" in order to pass his class. One student refuses so they strike a bargain. IF the student can prove that God is not dead, he passes...so, the student accepts and goes on a journey that threatens his education and his beliefs and relationships. It does not sound like Christians are trying to convert anyone. 

This movie is going to be very much like Facing The Giants, FireProof and the other Christians movies that have come out in recent years. The new movie Grace Unplugged is also a Christian based movie and playing in theaters... I'm pretty sure this will as well. I heard an interview with Keven Sorbo that said as a Christian it was very difficult for him to play the part of the professor in this movie, but he felt like he had to do it for his own journey. 

It's a fictional movie. It is not based on fact. That is what I read in the synopsis of the movie. If you click on OP's link, you can read the synopsis. 

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Quoting mcginnisc:

Quoting fireangel5:

How can a school allow a teacher to fail or pass students based on their religious beliefs?

Quoting mcginnisc:

I have no clue what you are ranting about. I read the synopsis of the movie. Did you read the synopsis or just watch the trailer? 

According to the synopsis, the professor requires all of the students to sign a declaration that "God is dead" in order to pass his class. One student refuses so they strike a bargain. IF the student can prove that God is not dead, he passes...so, the student accepts and goes on a journey that threatens his education and his beliefs and relationships. It does not sound like Christians are trying to convert anyone. 

This movie is going to be very much like Facing The Giants, FireProof and the other Christians movies that have come out in recent years. The new movie Grace Unplugged is also a Christian based movie and playing in theaters... I'm pretty sure this will as well. I heard an interview with Keven Sorbo that said as a Christian it was very difficult for him to play the part of the professor in this movie, but he felt like he had to do it for his own journey. 

It's a fictional movie. It is not based on fact. That is what I read in the synopsis of the movie. If you click on OP's link, you can read the synopsis. 

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 8:19 PM
That's a fantasy among certain "believers." You know, because they are persecuted.

Quoting fireangel5:

Quoting mcginnisc:

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 12:39 AM
I look forward to seeing this movie.
redheadstar
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 11:50 AM

I read about this on Facebook,  can't wait to see it  :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN