Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Kids and hunting.

Posted by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:45 AM
  • 344 Replies
4 moms liked this

My 13 year old went hunting with her father yesterday.

She got her first deer.  A young buck.  Her father also got a deer, another young buck.

She called me, over the moon excited.  

I posted the photo her dad sent me on my FB page.

Some of the comments were pretty awful and smacked of ignorance.

I deleted them.

I rec'd a few PMs from people, telling me what awful people we are for allowing our child to kill.  That hunting is primitive and children have no place in it.  

I was told I should not have posted the photo.  They don't want to see dead bambies.  One reported the photo.  It is still there.  It will remain on my FB page.

What are your thoughts on children hunting and posting such photos?

To be clear, there is little blood in the photos.  

by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jaxTheMomm
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:48 AM
13 moms liked this

I can understand the reaction from some.

But honestly, even though I don't hunt, I don't have a problem with it.  If you are a "hunting family" then it's only natural you are going to teach your children this skill/sport

13 is a perfectly fine age to do this, as long as the child is being taught the safety aspect as well.  I think I was 8 or 9 when my parents began taking us out and teaching us gun safety and how to shoot.

nanasworld
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:52 AM
32 moms liked this
First off, please tell your daughter congratulations on a success harvest! (dh too)
Second, thank you both for teaching your daugher not only safe gun practice but the ability to provide if needed.
The people on fb, tell them their ignorance is their problem. Ignore them. Fb does not rule life.
idunno1234
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:52 AM
8 moms liked this

I know people who depend on hunting to get them through.  i couldn't possibly argue against that. 

However, anyone who hunts for the thrill or joy of killing is repulsive to me and exemplifies much of what I think is wrong with humanity.

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it all depends on the family and the kids. 

tanyainmizzou
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:58 AM
4 moms liked this
Goodness me. They would not want to see my facebook feed.

These people feed their families and neighbors with what they hunt. How can that ever be bad?
Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:01 PM
2 moms liked this

Photos like that do not bother me. Hunting is not something I woud do or want my kids to do but mainly because we are city people.  However, it doesn't bother me that people hunt.  I eat meat so I won't be a hypocrite about it.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:02 PM
2 moms liked this

Ditto!

While I don't hunt, I think it's a great skill to have. Congrats to your dd and dh :-)

Quoting nanasworld:

First off, please tell your daughter congratulations on a success harvest! (dh too)
Second, thank you both for teaching your daugher not only safe gun practice but the ability to provide if needed.
The people on fb, tell them their ignorance is their problem. Ignore them. Fb does not rule life.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:04 PM
9 moms liked this
People are idiots.
As long as the meat is being consumed, I think hunting is fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:10 PM
23 moms liked this

Lets be clear, this is not my husband but my ex husband. lol

My daughters have been around hunting their whole lives.  They were taught, from a very early age, what hunting is and what it never should be.  Along with the firearms used, the proper way to gut and dispose of and the processing.  Years back, my ex husband processed deer and elk in our home.  Boy, was that ugly to clean up. lol

I am so proud of her.  Not because she did it, she is well versed in gun safety, hunting and otherwise.  Gutting the animal and processing it does not phase her.  But because she took this opportunity with her father and made it in to something positive.  Their relationship is fractured and this 'bonding' time will be beneficial to her.  To them both.

She has some bragging rights as well.  The boys at school are in for it tomorrow. lol

lga1965
by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 12:14 PM
2 moms liked this

My daughter has a 12 year old son. A sporty kid,plays soccer,skiis, all around good kid. A few weeks ago  his uncle suggested teaching him to hunt. My daughter said NO WAY !  I agree with her. No way.

Sorry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)