Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

My 13 year old went hunting with her father yesterday.

She got her first deer.  A young buck.  Her father also got a deer, another young buck.

She called me, over the moon excited.  

I posted the photo her dad sent me on my FB page.

Some of the comments were pretty awful and smacked of ignorance.

I deleted them.

I rec'd a few PMs from people, telling me what awful people we are for allowing our child to kill.  That hunting is primitive and children have no place in it.  

I was told I should not have posted the photo.  They don't want to see dead bambies.  One reported the photo.  It is still there.  It will remain on my FB page.

What are your thoughts on children hunting and posting such photos?

To be clear, there is little blood in the photos.  

by on Nov. 3, 2013 at 11:45 AM
Replies (341-344):
shire17
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 4:45 PM

Ok I understand the want or need to make this a better world where there is no murder or violence or hurt feelings etc., which is great, but this is the real world not fairytale land. I come from a hunting family, but I dont hunt. My choice. But I also know and understand the truth. There is no way to acheive the fairytale land that vegans want. Why? Cuz even if you convince everyone to go vegan and set all the animals free we would all probably die. See in order to feed all humans vegan style you need land to cultivate. We are already tearing up rainforests and open spaces as it is. It would increase greatly if we all go vegan. So that be the case where and what are the released animals suppose to live and eat. Even the great buffalo cant migrate anymore cause of the human population. Not to mention that cattle etc have been domesticated so long that they are unable to deal with harsh winters without help. I grew up in the country, I have seen when deer and other animals have been over populated or there is a harsh winter. I have seen them literally starve to death. I have also seen an increase in deer/vehicle colitions during population bursts. So ask yourself which is more cruel, to shoot animals and keep their population down, or let them die a slow death by starvation or being hit. As far as putting up pics goes, what is wrong with it. I have seen a lot worse discusting photos put out on the internet. Its part of life. If you dont like it dont look at it.

Redwall
by Silver Member on Nov. 8, 2013 at 7:58 PM

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting Redwall:

I'm a vegetarian, so I'd never, ever, EVER let my kids go hunting...I find it offensive.

And you have that right.  

Although, if I may, why is it so 'offensive'?

Do you feel the same in regards to all animals used for food, and other products?

Yes.  We try really hard not to use anything that's animal related.

Serenity8310
by on Nov. 10, 2013 at 7:25 PM
Somebody has to hunt for food whats so wrong with that
SlingsAndThings
by Bronze Member on Nov. 10, 2013 at 9:01 PM
I'm fine with youth hunting. I plan on taking my kids if they show interest. Congrats to your kiddo on the deer. My cousin got 2 doe last year.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)