Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Isaiah Smith, Gay Teen Who Ripped Out Bible Pages, Suspended By Texas School

Posted by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 5:34 PM
  • 202 Replies

gay teen bible pages

The American Humanist Association has formally sent a complaint to Birdville Independent School District in Texas, citing that Isaiah Smith's First Amendment rights have been violated after the teen was suspended for ripping out pages of his Bible as a protest against anti-gay bullying.

Smith, who is gay and Christian, said that he was repeatedly told that "being gay is a sin," and that "gays go to hell," by students at his school.

He brought his personal Bible to his first period class on Monday, October 28, and tore out pages from Leviticus, a portion of the Bible which contains prohibitions against homosexuality, as a way of protesting their statements, and because he doesn't believe the Bible condemns gay people. Smith was subsequently sent to the assistant principal's office, who told him that though he could continue carrying around the ripped Bible, he shouldn't tear out any more pages.

However, on Wednesday the assistant principal reportedly called him into his office again to reprimand him for carrying the torn book and asked, "How would Muslims feel if a student was tearing up the Qur-an?” He was then suspended for three days and had his Bible confiscated, according to the letter.

isaiah
A photo from April of 2012 shows Smith affirming his belief that Christianity doesn't condemn gays.

The American Humanist Association believes this is a violation of Smith's First Amendments rights, and has called upon the school to either allow all students to carry torn versions of the Bible and any other books if they so choose, or forbid all students from carrying religious texts to school. They also demand that the suspension be expunged from Smith's record, and have raised the possibility of a lawsuit if the school does not comply.

Smith is a student leader and gay rights activist who has previously petitioned the mayor of Keller, Texas, to recognize same-sex marriages by signing the 'Mayors For the Freedom to Marry' pledge.

“This is a clear violation of Isaiah’s First Amendment rights,” said Monica Miller, an attorney and legal consultant with the Appignani Humanist Legal Center, the legal arm of the Amercan Humanist Association. “The only explanation for this kind of punishment is that it was religiously motivated, because he expressed different beliefs on the Bible than those held by school officials. There’s no legal basis for that kind of reaction.”

Tarrant teen who fought bullying suspended from school

Posted on 30 Oct 2013 at 4:32pm

Isaiah Smith

Isaiah Smith, center, posed with North Richland Hills police officers who came to his school to watch him receive an award.

NORTH RICHLAND HILLS - Isaiah Smith hasn't handled bullying in school the way other teens do. He's petitioned his mayor and city council, started a gay-straight alliance and contacted media.

This week, he was suspended from school, so he didn't handle that the way most teens do, either. He called Dallas Voice as well as TV news stations.

Smith is attending Birdville High School his senior year.  As a member of band and a retired teen court attorney and police explorer, he's never been suspended or in trouble before.

He said he's been bullied in school and told he can't be Christian and gay.

"The Bible is a beautiful thing," Smith said. "It's not a bullying tool."

So he began carrying the Bible to school with him, and this week, when he was taunted for a line in Leviticus, he tore that book out of his Bible.

"The assistant principal called me into the office," he said and told him, "'You can bring it to school but can't rip it.'"

The assistant principal told him he couldn't create a disruption in class. He said the administrator asked him how Muslims would feel if he ripped up the Koran. The difference is Smith is a Christian tearing his own religion's book.

Smith was given a three-day suspension.

Last year, Smith petitioned the Keller City Council to add a nondiscrimination ordinance after collecting about 1,200 signatures of voters and 800 youth signatures.

Although the council didn't act on the petition, the mayor complimented Smith on his passion and allowed him to speak beyond the usually allotted three minutes.

Smith has political ambitions, created a Facebook page to promote human rights, and when he asked the Council on Foreign Relations a question, they answered on their website.

He should be graduating from school this year and plans to go to college - hopefully in someplace like Massachusetts.

by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 5:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
slashteddy
by Bronze Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 6:30 PM
16 moms liked this
When I first read the title I thought he had been ripping up a school bible or library book or something... It was HIS. He has every right to do whatever he wants to it. The suspension is ridiculous.
AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 6:32 PM
3 moms liked this
What excuse do they have to punish him days after the incident had already been resolved?
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:01 PM
3 moms liked this
What an insightful young man. Leadership is n his future.
tanyainmizzou
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Now, if it caused a disruption and there is a rule against causing them, well he can't cause disruptions.

And no I am not a homophobe before you call me one.
twicethemomjess
by on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Well it was HIS bible. Though I try to teach my kids to respect everybodys religion
AlekD
by Gold Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:15 PM
4 moms liked this
I wasn't there but it seems to me like ripping up a Bible in protest while making statements about ones feelings about homosexuality and Christianity would be a pretty disruptive thing to do while a class is in progress. I don't see it as a violation of his first amendment, it seems to me like they just expect a certain amount of order in the classroom.

It would be interesting to read an article from the teachers or administrators perspective.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:16 PM
I must be seeing things. This is a non-religious public school, it's his bible he rips, yet they suspend him, and for good measure confiscate his property?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:17 PM
4 moms liked this
They did nothing to this kids harassing and bullying him in Jesus name

He responded with a non violent protest

He is also a Christian ....

The school is out of line
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:18 PM
1 mom liked this

If the article is to be believed, the young man was suspended for tearing out the pages.  Not for having the Bible itself.

If this is the case, that is wrong.  Regardless of his doing having offended any one, if that is the case, he has every right to do as he wishes with a book he owns.

I would like to know more about this.  Really not sure we are getting the entire picture here.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 4, 2013 at 7:19 PM
They didn't suspend him for a disruption
And they didn't suspend the boys that were bullying him

However, on Wednesday the assistant principal reportedly called him into his office again to reprimand him for carrying the torn book and asked, "How would Muslims feel if a student was tearing up the Qur-an?” He was then suspended for three days and had his Bible confiscated, according to the letter.

Quoting AlekD:

I wasn't there but it seems to me like ripping up a Bible in protest while making statements about ones feelings about homosexuality and Christianity would be a pretty disruptive thing to do while a class is in progress. I don't see it as a violation of his first amendment, it seems to me like they just expect a certain amount of order in the classroom.

It would be interesting to read an article from the teachers or administrators perspective.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN