Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Toys R Us to open at 5 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day.....

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:12 AM
  • 172 Replies

will you be in line to shop there on Thanksgiving? 

There is a raging debate going on on one of my friend's FB pages about this. Someone posted and asked if anyone would be willing to go there and get her something, because she wouldn't be able to because she'd be out of town with her family. The one who posted saw nothing hypocritical about the fact that she wanted to enjoy the holiday with her family, but had no qualms with TRU employees being forced to work so she could get a toy half off that day. 

by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
whoopsie16
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:16 AM

You should put this in MC.

btw that's just ridiculous. Black Friday is no fun when it's not on....Black Friday :/

Either way it goes, even if she had a problem with it, she couldn't change it. They'd still be working on thanksgiving. Why not have someone who's already going there grab something for her while they're there? JMO.

Btw. the situation itself is just sad.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I won't do Black Friday, either. I just can't stand the craziness. People trampling each other to get a TV....crazies threatening to kill one another over a Barbie playhouse. No thanks. 

In this instance, none of her friends were going, and she kept responding by saying things like "I can't believe none of you will do this for me." I think that's what pissed people off even more.

Quoting whoopsie16:

You should put this in MC.

btw that's just ridiculous. Black Friday is no fun when it's not on....Black Friday :/

Either way it goes, even if she had a problem with it, she couldn't change it. They'd still be working on thanksgiving. Why not have someone who's already going there grab something for her while they're there? JMO.

Btw. the situation itself is just sad.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:24 AM
13 moms liked this

I will be one of those boycotting any and all shopping on Thanksgiving day. I don't agree with stores being open (I can understand a gas station/grocery store) but just for holiday shopping? NO thanks. I believe those families should be together. I know not everyone celebrates, but it stinks. 

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:28 AM
2 moms liked this
Well no one is forced to work there.
I will be shopping on Thanksgiving but not until 8-10pm after family festivities.
cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:30 AM
2 moms liked this

My only problem with that is that some people are forced to work at places like Toys R Us in order to pay the bills. This economy sucks right now, and a lot of people find themselves working jobs they'd not normally have to work to make ends meet. 

It's not just Toys R Us, either. More and more stores are opening at midnight, etc. I just think it's overboard. I certainly don't want to shop at midnight, and I'm betting none of those employees want to be there all night, either. 

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

I will be shopping on Thanksgiving but not until 8-10pm after family festivities.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:34 AM
3 moms liked this

In the last couple of years I have yet to find a deal that it worth the hassle of going out in those crowds. Most of the Black Friday deals have been crap.

This is another example of why I've become kind of a Scrooge, there is no reason for those stores to be open on Thanksgiving. Working retail, especially during the holidays, sucks enough on it's own. I feel like as a consumer Christmas gets shoved down my throat more and more every year.

ReadWriteLuv
by Silver Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I just saw a thing on Today, I think Kmart is opening at 6am on Thanksgiving day and not closing until 10pm Friday night.

Quoting cjsbmom:

My only problem with that is that some people are forced to work at places like Toys R Us in order to pay the bills. This economy sucks right now, and a lot of people find themselves working jobs they'd not normally have to work to make ends meet. 

It's not just Toys R Us, either. More and more stores are opening at midnight, etc. I just think it's overboard. I certainly don't want to shop at midnight, and I'm betting none of those employees want to be there all night, either. 

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Bethsunshine
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:37 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't do any Black Friday shopping. There is not one thing that is worth fighting all those crazy people for.
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:39 AM
1 mom liked this

No-

In my life, I have worked all the major holidays- and my husband has too. It's capitalism, baby- All hail the almighty buck!

When I was a more regular worker, I hated the holiday season- just more work and pressure.

mommieof38829
by Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Walmart is open all day. That's is worse than opening at 5.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN