Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Man Burns to Death as Unwitting Crowd Cheers & Videos His Final Moments?!

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:15 AM
  • 9 Replies

Man Burns to Death as Unwitting Crowd Cheers & Videos His Final Moments

by Jeanne Sager

Gilbert EstradaLife can change in an instant. Just ask the family of Gilbert Estrada. He's the man who burned almost to death while a crowd of Halloween festival goers cheered. By the time someone realized Estrada's flaming costume wasn't just part of the act, it was too late.

The 51-year-old died at a Los Angeles hospital. And now his family has to suffer the indignity of their loved one's last moments being watched by countless YouTube video surfers.

Yes, that's right, people didn't just cheer as a man died. They grabbed their cellphones and shot blurry video of the fiery blaze.

Not everyone. Some did step in to help, using a jacket to put out the flames on Estrada's sniper costume. They gave the dying man some comfort in his final moments.

But this is the society we've become, isn't it? Shoot video first, ask questions later. Just look at the rape on the Ohio State campus of a few weeks ago, where a girl was sexually assaulted in front of a whole crowd ... a crowd that took photos and Tweeted instead of stepping in to help.

Cops are still examining those videos to determine what exactly happened to Estrada. One theory is that he was lighting a cigarette, and the flammable fabric of his costume went up quickly.

There's an assumption that revelers simply did not realize he was a man in danger. Hopefully it's right. Hopefully people would not purposely leave a man to die.

Still, I wonder if the outcome of this would have been different if people were focused on Estrada rather than on their cellphones. Would they have paid closer attention? Would they have noticed a man in pain?

The gadget puts distance between us and the person (or thing in some cases) we're videoing, and not just in a physical sense. These days you don't even have to look through a viewfinder to capture video the way we did on those old-fashioned cameras. You really can look elsewhere while your cellphone does the work. Because you know you're capturing the action, you can give yourself permission to tune out a bit; there will be plenty of time to watch later.

So what if we didn't grab our cellphones? What if we decided not to video every blessed thing that happens in our lives and just live it? Maybe we'd catch more of what really is going on ... like a man who needs our help.

Speaking of: there's now a Go Fund Me to help Gilbert Estrada's family cover the costs of his funeral.

What is the last thing you took video of with your phone?

by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:19 AM

This would only be appropriate if it was the torturer of "puppy doe" burning alive. Otherwise, sickening.

PrimmednPunked
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:44 AM

It is so sad that our soceity has come to this.  No human decency.  Only out for the entertainment value.

heather77g
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 10:49 AM

oh wow this is horrible. :(    how did it actually flame up so quickly? I wouldn't have thought it was   a part of someones costume, even if it was on halloween.   No normal person would purposly put themselves on fire on even halloween. That poor man and his family; God bless them

krysstizzle
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:15 AM
Horrible, and yes people are annoying with their recording of everything.

I dont think the people here knew he was actually in trouble, though. Seems like it was a party/festival, and i dont think peopke were cheering because a man accidentally caught fire and was in trouble.
And the girl in Ohio mentioned? She wasnt raped, she was just drunk. So ridiculous as the people standing atound recording it may be, they werent standing by while a woman got raped.
trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:21 AM

I was there and had no idea it even happened till 2 days later. I saw an ambulance go by but just figured someone OD'ed.   You have to understand that at first people thought it was a show.  This is a place where people like to go big with their costumes and sometimes put on a show.  So it wouldn't be shocking at all for someone to do something dramatic.  I can't even imagine how this happened.  He went up so fast it's like he was doused in gas but I guess they think he lit a cigarette in a super flammable costume.  So sad.

trippyhippy
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Yes, it is the biggest Halloween party in the world with about half a million people there.  We go every year.

Quoting krysstizzle:

Horrible, and yes people are annoying with their recording of everything.

I dont think the people here knew he was actually in trouble, though. Seems like it was a party/festival, and i dont think peopke were cheering because a man accidentally caught fire and was in trouble.
And the girl in Ohio mentioned? She wasnt raped, she was just drunk. So ridiculous as the people standing atound recording it may be, they werent standing by while a woman got raped.

Outspoken.Mime
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 1:44 PM
2 moms liked this

So at the end of this article the question posed is

"What is the last thing you took video of with your phone?"

Way to miss the point, Steph.  Yeesh.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 2:55 PM

This is so sad

laparla
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 3:35 PM
People in the military get medals for burning other human beings alive. I don't like it, but that's America for you.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)