Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Helping them be safe or encouraging them?

Posted by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM
  • 59 Replies
2 moms liked this
My kids' school is debating Sex Ed and making condoms available in the nurse's office for free to students. The PTO is all up in arms and saying that Sex Ed will put ideas in their heads and condoms will encourage kids to be sexually active who wouldn't be otherwise. I think they're all a bunch of idiots with their heads in the sand if they think their kids aren't at least *thinking* about sex, if they aren't already having it. Do you think Sex Ed and/or free condoms makes kids more likely to have sex?
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I do.   Definitely the condoms.   I went to a school with comprehensive sex ed and condoms handed out to students regularly.  It wasn't effective in preventing teen pregnancy, we had a whole separate school the pregnant girls got sent to complete with a daycare.  

I think this is an issue for parents to deal with and should be kept out of schools, personally.  

KelliansMom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

at my high school you could go to the school nurse and get condoms if you wanted. Not sure how many students actually did. But honestly I would rather students be fully educated on safe sex and have access to the things that help them have safe sex. 

AlekD
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM
I am just glad I am going to homeschool so that my kids wont be learning one thing at home (sex is something sacred reserved for married couples) and another thing at school (sex is purely recreational and premarital/teen sex is inevitable)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
furbabymum
by Gold Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 4:42 PM
2 moms liked this

These parents that are complaining will have to stick their kids in a bubble if they think they aren't getting ideas about sex. Can't even watch TV anymore.....

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Nov. 5, 2013 at 5:17 PM
2 moms liked this
I told my kids I would always buy them condoms if they felt they couldn't control themselves. It certainly didnt make them run off to have sex.
They did not have sex in high school, because they could see the bigger picture to things.
tanyainmizzou
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this

both

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Nov. 5, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Personally I think parents should have 'sex education for your kids' lessons.  Should be school based after hours and leave it at that.

I think body functioning lessons should be given in class...I dont think that needs to include sex education.

JMO of course.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Nov. 5, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Quoting EireLass:

I told my kids I would always buy them condoms if they felt they couldn't control themselves. It certainly didnt make them run off to have sex.
They did not have sex in high school, because they could see the bigger picture to things.

I didnt have sex in high school....and I was far from seeing the bigger picture.  I still found boys icky LOL

famiglia_bella
by on Nov. 5, 2013 at 5:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't think making condoms available makes teens more likely to have sex.  And I think sex education and providing condoms is vital in helping teens make an informed, more responsible decision.  We tell our kids that if they are too embarrassed to ask for condoms or buy them themselves, that is indicative that they are too immature for sex.

jllcali
by Jane on Nov. 5, 2013 at 5:31 PM
6 moms liked this
Condoms are inanimate objects incapable of persuading people to do anything against their will. If you are afraid your kid is going to have sex just because there are free condoms at school, you either do not have a high opinion of your children, or you do not have a high opinion of your parenting.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)