Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kinda sad and kinda happy. This is my hot topic...not your average Christian...

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:07 AM
  • 43 Replies

My sister is coming here finally on Thursday. Granted it's for a Beth Moore conference, which isn't horrible, she's pretty funny, but I have my personal space I don't like invaded,  and am not a fan of group hand holding prayer stuff. I have my personal space and like it. A lot. However, my mom bought tickets, booked the hotel, and I'm going. My sis lives in Vegas. They are stationed at Nellis. It's a hellhole. For real. I miss her sooooo much and my twin niece and nephew,, I haven't seen her in over a year, that sucks. I want them to get stationed here badly. Her husband is in the medical field. Mine is intell.  

But she is comming. That's the payoff of me having to sit through whatever this will be. I'm a Christain, but I'm not your stereotypical Christian. I'm pretty standoffish, don't like my personal space invaded, and absolutely hate touching and group hand holding prayer. My mom and sis are opposite of me. Ps. Don't hug me unless I go to hug you. I hate it. A lot. 

I'm fearing the worst. I told my mom. I am grateful you put this together and paid for it, I want to see Ash, but I cannot deal with crazy people stuff. I will walk out. She laughed and told me to be open minded. Ummm okay. What does THAT mean? 

I can guarantee I'm not going to be open minded about people invading my personal space. I can guarantee I will want to go to the Tiki bar Friday night and probably be hung over the next morning in the seminar. Will I be judged? I don't know and honestly, I don't care, but I worry what mom and my sister will think. 

I get no time to myself. My husband is gone half the year every year and I do nothing but be "mom".  No outings, no mom or girls night out. It's just me. I never get to be "Des". Ever. 

This weekend I should be able to be me. I am a Christain woman who likes to let loose, drink, be silly, etc. it's how I blow off steam other than cafemom. Lol  However, I don't feel comfortable doing it in this  setting, and I resent it.

how would you deal with this? 

Im not going to miss seeing my sister. Isn't happening. But I don't want to fake it this weekend either. I want to be me and be accepted. 

What would you do? 

Dinner before Beth Moore. ;) 

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mommabearbergh
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:11 AM
2 moms liked this
Just be you but like your mom said be open minded. It seems like your thinking the worse. Just go with the flow and enjoy your time with your sis.
jllcali
by LoyalAndCute on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:11 AM
Who is beth moore?
Paperfishies
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:12 AM
I wouldn't go to the seminar, it sounds lame.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jllcali
by LoyalAndCute on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Drink plenty of water to avoid/lessen the hangover.
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:15 AM

She is a Christian woman speaker. Has written numerous books and goes all over talking. She is pretty funny, I actually like her, it's just the crowd that gathers for her I'm uncomfortable with. 

Quoting jllcali:

Who is beth moore?

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:17 AM

If you go and don't want to be touched, say so.

gdiamante
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:18 AM
1 mom liked this

Can you sit between mom and sis, use them as "human shields?"

Or... how about not bothering to shower for a day or three before you go? Sure to keep folks from touching tyou then! **grin**

jllcali
by LoyalAndCute on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:18 AM
Why and how do you think your personal space will be invaded?

I have personal space issues myself.
DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Lol! That's an idea! 

Quoting gdiamante:

Can you sit between mom and sis, use them as "human shields?"

Or... how about not bothering to shower for a day or three before you go? Sure to keep folks from touching tyou then! **grin**

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:23 AM

In these settings they tend to love the "hug your neighbor" get to know others, and "let's join hands" kinda stuff. I'm affectionate with my kiddos. And that's  about it. Even my BF knows that I'm not a hugger. It's just not me. I don't like to be touched. 

Quoting jllcali:

Why and how do you think your personal space will be invaded?

I have personal space issues myself.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured