Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Thinking about the lockdown after the Boston bombing...

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:57 AM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

Would you rather the government protect your safety or your liberty?

It didn't seem disturbing at the time, when they told everyone to lock their doors and stay inside but actually...people are murdered all the time. There are dangerous people all over this country, people commit heinous acts of violence every single day and we move freely about the country.

Do we really want to live in a country that institutes Marshall law at the drop of a hat? How "safe" do we expect them to keep us? Are we really so afraid that we're willing to like in a police state, even if it's only occasionally?

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 6:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:10 AM
3 moms liked this
This was an act of violence on a large scale. Better safe than sorry IMO. The police didn't make people stay locked in their homes forever, just until the situation was under control. Liberty doesn't mean much if you're not safe enough to enjoy it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mommabearbergh
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 7:32 AM
1 mom liked this
This gets me so annoyed with people who don't live in this city or waited for a text to hear if the people you love are all right. Twice. I am annoyed with people getting political about something they didn't have to go through. They did whAt they thought was right specially in Watertown and Cambridge where they were killing and shooting. This is one topic I get emotional about.
KiKi-Love
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:30 AM
I still think they should investigate more. Seems the Russian brothers were doing a job for somebody.
Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I didn't and don't view the response to the Boston bombing as something that could be referred to or described as "at the drop of a hat."

I have also been aware of the police driving through neighborhoods and over the loudspeakers telling residents to get in their houses and lock their doors due to some single whacko at large -- something who broke out of prison or who just committed a heinous crime nearby.

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:37 AM
2 moms liked this

It's an interesting question.  We give up liberties all the time in the name of safety.  I guess if we aren't safe the liberty we risk giving up is our lives.

There is a line that has to be drawn.  I don't know where to draw it.

owl0210
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:57 AM
I work in Boston and our offices were closed that day. We had a bomb threat two days before the shootout it was absolutely crazy so I can understand why the city and surrounding towns were put on lockdown during the manhunt.

Quoting Mommabearbergh:

This gets me so annoyed with people who don't live in this city or waited for a text to hear if the people you love are all right. Twice. I am annoyed with people getting political about something they didn't have to go through. They did whAt they thought was right specially in Watertown and Cambridge where they were killing and shooting. This is one topic I get emotional about.
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:17 AM
1 mom liked this
Being from the area, I felt they did the right thing.
ZakkarysMom
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:19 AM
What happened with the boy?
smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I can see the lockdown but the door to door search makes me uncomfortable. I think it's a slippery slope to let cops come in at any time. 

lga1965
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:23 AM
Door to door search ?
How often does that happen ?

Quoting smalltowngal:

I can see the lockdown but the door to door search makes me uncomfortable. I think it's a slippery slope to let cops come in at any time. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)