Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Parents Sue for Right to Turn Their 15-Year-Old Gay Son Straight?!

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:43 AM
  • 48 Replies
1 mom liked this

Parents Sue for Right to Turn Their 15-Year-Old Gay Son Straight

by Rebecca Stokes

gay rightsNew Jersey Governor Chris Christie isn't exactly known for his liberal stances on social issues. He toes the line -- just barely. But one solid thing he did do was ban the practice of 'conversion' therapy for gay teenagers. The ban stops therapists (if you can call them that) from offering therapy to "cure" homosexuality.

Even typing that explanation made a vein in my eyeball bulge with indignation. It's disgusting that this sort of therapy even still exists. It seems completely counterintuitive to the therapeutic process! One family in NJ doesn't agree. They're suing for the right to have their gay teenager son converted.

On the surface, the suit they are bringing forth could read as genuine parental concern. They say their son is hurting. They say that his homosexuality is causing him great distress and has led him to thoughts of suicide. No parent wants their child to be in such anguish. But no decent parent should leap to the idea of professionally repressing the identity the child is struggling with as a reasonable means to an end.

If the boy's parents are so keen on rescuing their son from emotional turmoil that they are willing to sue the state, why aren't they willing to consider a much easier solution? Namely, finding a therapist to help their son work through his feelings of self-loathing. I'll tell you why this isn't an option for them. Because the minute this kid starts dealing with a loving, accepting mental health professional, he'll start to realize that the messages of hate he's turned inwards have an origin -- and that place of origin? It's totally his parents. I hope this poor teenager can escape the grasp of his hate-filled parents and take the steps necessary to embrace his identity.

Do you think these parents are crazy and out of line, or just doing what they think is best? GUESS WHICH SIDE I LAND ON?

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
randi1978
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:46 AM
11 moms liked this

The parents should lose their right to be parents.

Disgusting people, that's what they are.

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:52 AM
12 moms liked this

Conversion therapy is torture and doesn't work.  These parents are misguided and crazy.  You can't "turn" anyone straight, they are or they aren't.  

owl0210
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:52 AM
8 moms liked this
The only thing leading that kid to suicide are his fucked up parents. SMH
Lottie925
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:55 AM

I feel sorry for the parents and their son. To hear that your 15 year old son is suicidal must be heart-wrenching. But I don't think their ideas about conversion therapy are good. When it doesn't work? When he still has these thoughts? Obviously part of the problem is knowing that his own parents are disgusted by this. I think he needs help, but not that.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 8:58 AM
3 moms liked this
maybe by going public with their law suit someone will report these parents for child abuse and the child will be removed. by not getting their child professional help that's actually recognized they're actually medically neglecting him and risking suicide.
katy_kay08
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:04 AM
2 moms liked this

yes I think they are crazy bigots that need to get their heads out of their ass.  

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:04 AM
3 moms liked this
Im thinking the parents attitudes are leading him to suicidal thoughts.
How do you get rid of the gay?
LizzieAnnesMom
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this
I think people should have to take a test before reproducing....
lga1965
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:12 AM
This:

Quoting EireLass:

Im thinking the parents attitudes are leading him to suicidal thoughts.

How do you get rid of the gay?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alc4evermom
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 9:13 AM

That's why I don't trust psychology.  How much of it is brainwashing vs. actual mental health when it can be manipulated to the practitioners agenda.  When someone is down, they are easy targets to be manipulated and will be labeled with disorders they may not have.  I feel bad for the kid because his parents could turn the situation around and get him involved in programs that help homosexual teenagers become comfortable with who they are instead being taught to fight it.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN