Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Kentucky cross country runner pulls out of regional championships rather than run with bib number ’666′

Posted by   + Show Post

As reported in depth by Lexington NBC affiliate LEX18, Whitley County High (Whitley County, Kent.) cross country runner Codie Thacker voluntarily forfeited her spot in a regional championship race after her coach drew bib number 666 for the runner. Thacker and her coach argued that she should be allowed to switch her number, but race officials refused the request.

Kentucky cross country runner pulls out of regional championships rather than run with bib number ’666′

In one of the strangest cases of purported religious beliefs intersecting with athletic performance, a Kentucky junior cross country runner voluntarily walked away from a chance to qualify for the state meet to avoid running with the bib number "666", which she said conflicted with her Christian beliefs.

Those officials would later deny that Thacker claimed she needed to change bib numbers for religious reasons, though the junior insists she was explicit about her motivation. To her, running with the number 666 on her chest would have signified a serious breach in her faith.

"I didn't want to risk my relationship with God and try to take that number," Thacker told LEX18. "I told them to mark out my name because it makes me sick just thinking that my name is associated with that number."

The result was a third straight season where the cross country runner has fallen just short of the state meet, even though she had aggressively trained for the regional championship race since June. Thacker had hoped to earn headlines for her performance on the trails. Now she's getting attention for something else entirely.

Perhaps the only person who wasn't stunned by Thacker's exit from the regional meet was her coach, Gina Croley, who was the first person to see the number assigned to the runner.

"I saw it and I was like, 'whoa,'" she said. "I don't think she will wear that number."

This is pure idiocy....it's a NUMBER

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Replies (11-20):
Avarah
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:30 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm glad they didn't coddle that silliness.
lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 11:31 AM
6 moms liked this

If I were God I would be disappointed in this young lady for not giving God enough credit to love and believe in her more than a mere number assigned to her for a cross country meet. I have confidence in God to cheer her on and be by her side and not even notice a piece of paper pinned to her chest. Don't you?

Quoting Suzukigirl710:

good for her for standing up for what she believes in!

meriana
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Why was this even news? It was her choice to wear that number or not, she made it, end of story.

erika9009
by Bronze Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Hahaha.  Athletes can be really superstitious.

They totally can be.

My husband rides/races on his road bike.  If you get #13 for the bib, you have to wear it upside down.

Erika..

Children are a blessing and are never inconvenient.............

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Children can be idiots too.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Ah yes

Name call a child.

So caring.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting erika9009:

Quoting PinkButterfly66:

Hahaha.  Athletes can be really superstitious.

They totally can be.

My husband rides/races on his road bike.  If you get #13 for the bib, you have to wear it upside down.

No way! That's my favorite number, I'd totally rock it ;-)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Who name called?

This is idiocy, she has been TAUGHT it's against her religion anything to do with this number

THIS IS IDIOCY

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Ah yes

Name call a child.

So caring.

tanyainmizzou
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Calling her Looney Tunes is name calling.

Simply because you disagree with her position doesn't make her anything other than a child that has a firm religious belief.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Who name called?

This is idiocy, she has been TAUGHT it's against her religion anything to do with this number

THIS IS IDIOCY

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Ah yes

Name call a child.

So caring.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:22 PM
3 moms liked this

She is holding true to what she believes and if it bothers her, that is her prerogative.

For some, that number isn't something they want anything to do with.

It would not have hurt for them to allow to change her number but I can understand why the did not.

Not sure why this is 'news' other than to slam certain Christians.

tanyainmizzou
by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:22 PM

Glad you don't care if someone online calls your child one for having a belief you have taught them.

Quoting paganbaby:

Children can be idiots too.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Ah yes

Name call a child.

So caring.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN