Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Kentucky cross country runner pulls out of regional championships rather than run with bib number ’666′

Posted by   + Show Post

As reported in depth by Lexington NBC affiliate LEX18, Whitley County High (Whitley County, Kent.) cross country runner Codie Thacker voluntarily forfeited her spot in a regional championship race after her coach drew bib number 666 for the runner. Thacker and her coach argued that she should be allowed to switch her number, but race officials refused the request.

Kentucky cross country runner pulls out of regional championships rather than run with bib number ’666′

In one of the strangest cases of purported religious beliefs intersecting with athletic performance, a Kentucky junior cross country runner voluntarily walked away from a chance to qualify for the state meet to avoid running with the bib number "666", which she said conflicted with her Christian beliefs.

Those officials would later deny that Thacker claimed she needed to change bib numbers for religious reasons, though the junior insists she was explicit about her motivation. To her, running with the number 666 on her chest would have signified a serious breach in her faith.

"I didn't want to risk my relationship with God and try to take that number," Thacker told LEX18. "I told them to mark out my name because it makes me sick just thinking that my name is associated with that number."

The result was a third straight season where the cross country runner has fallen just short of the state meet, even though she had aggressively trained for the regional championship race since June. Thacker had hoped to earn headlines for her performance on the trails. Now she's getting attention for something else entirely.

Perhaps the only person who wasn't stunned by Thacker's exit from the regional meet was her coach, Gina Croley, who was the first person to see the number assigned to the runner.

"I saw it and I was like, 'whoa,'" she said. "I don't think she will wear that number."

This is pure idiocy....it's a NUMBER

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Replies (161-166):
Bonita131
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Other reports have her listed at 17. That is still a child.

You can dislike religion all you want.  I simply think attacking her and insulting her for her beliefs is not an appropriate thing for her age.

Quoting Bonita131:

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Ah yes

Name call a child.

So caring.

She's 18, an age that is considered adult/legal age in many countries, she's hardly a child.  

That aside. When you let religious superstition rule your life to such a ridiculous extent, your chances of being hired/accepted as a responsible/dependable employee (barring a nunnery/church)  will be next to none when you enter the workforce. What right minded business owner/CEO wants to waste the time and money training an employee to move up in the company/business when they basically run away with their tails tucked beneath their asses when they see the number 666, or simply refuse to do the work if the number 666 is involved?

She can join the US military at age 17 with parental consent so please spare us the she is just a child nonsense.

As for my thoughts on religion & Ms. Thacker.  When your belief goes so far as to impede common sense,  logical intelligent thought, and the ability to rationalize, you are no longer your own person, you have become one more of the many fools who have let themselves be brainwashed by their church/religion.

If Ms. Thackers relationship with her church//god won't permit her to wear a racing bib with the number 666 she will never succeed in life as her ridiculous fear of a number will be her stumbling block.  One of the biggest failings of all religions is the use of fear to bring about obedience.  When you let that fear take over your life, you have lost touch with reality & that alone is beyond pathetic. 

romalove
by Roma on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Quoting billsfan1104:

I hope I can explain it ok to make a little sense.
We don't know why God does the things he does, like let children get cancer and die or have people for in a car crash or lose or win.
When those things happen, I guess we are suppose to look into ourselves and change things. For example, My friends son died of cancer at age 15. She started a local chapter of "make some noise", to raise funds for childhood cancer research or help those families. She took a tragedy and made something positive from it. Maybe that is what God had planned for her to do from this terrible terrible deth and that's how she views it. That God didn't want her to dwell on his death, but do something positive from it.
I hope that explains it a little. I try my best on here, but I am not good with the written word.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting billsfan1104:

I didn't say it was ALL about training. In my primo gal response, I said the same thing you said.

I don't know the definite answers. All I know is that God has a reason for everything. If it is to teach the loser to train better, be a better person, or give more, he will get his blessings.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting billsfan1104:

Because maybe God is telling them they are not training hard enough or need to train better. And if they do better training or do better in life, he will bless them with a win.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting billsfan1104:

I do believe that he does choose. Because we learn lessons from everything. Maybe he is trying to teach the loser to be a good sport, or to train differently or whatever.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting billsfan1104:

I don't know how he decides. But I do believe there is a reason for everything, and we don't know those reasons.

Quoting romalove:

I often wonder.....if two people are competing against each other and both are praying to God for assistance, one is obviously going to win and one is obviously going to lose, how does God decide who gets the victory?  And how does the person who loses, having prayed as much as the one who wins, process that information on where they stand with God?  Especially if the other person praises God for being good to them?

I think I need some sleep lol.

Do you think that God is who decides who wins or loses in the situation I described?

If God is choosing who wins or loses, why should anyone determine that they need to train differently or better?

I'm sorry, that makes zero sense.

If God is deciding, the training is irrelevant.

And what if they both train equally as hard?

And how do you know "how" to interpret the message from God?

Maybe it's about training

Maybe it's about learning to be a good loser

Maybe it's not about you but the other person needing to learn how to be a good winner

Maybe it's about something else completely

Maybe the loser will interpret that God loves the other person more

Since God hasn't told anyone "why" the decisions are as they are, and since we don't know the lessons to take from them, how well meaning can the lessons be?

This all makes zero sense to me.

You are very clear.  Do not worry that you're not communicating effectively.

I am glad your friend was able to do something good, to find a silver lining in a horrible tragedy.

When I say these things make zero sense to me, it's because they aren't logical.  I understand that you believe them, and I am not trying to make you not believe them.

I am just expressing how I hear it.

Brycensmommy85
by Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:45 PM

Stupid....my mom is very Catholic and even SHE would say that is MORONIC it is a NUMBER not the devil himself on your chest. Get a grip.

SpiritFortress
by Bronze Member on Nov. 7, 2013 at 12:46 PM

What an idiot. 

billsfan1104
by Jules on Nov. 7, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Hank you. I am trying. I guess my belie is that it doesn't have to make sense. It's just faith that some of us have and we it will not always make "sense"

I hope you don't think, I thought you were trying to make me not believe or have my beliefs, because I don't believe that at all

Quoting romalove:

Quoting billsfan1104:

We don't know why God does the things he does, like let children get cancer and die or have people for in a car crash or lose or win.

When those things happen, I guess we are suppose to look into ourselves and change things. For example, My friends son died of cancer at age 15. She started a local chapter of "make some noise", to raise funds for childhood cancer research or help those families. She took a tragedy and made something positive from it. Maybe that is what God had planned for her to do from this terrible terrible deth and that's how she views it. That God didn't want her to dwell on his death, but do something positive from it.

I hope that explains it a little. I try my best on here, but I am not good with the written word.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting billsfan1104:

I didn't say it was ALL about training. In my primo gal response, I said the same thing you said.

I don't know the definite answers. All I know is that God has a reason for everything. If it is to teach the loser to train better, be a better person, or give more, he will get his blessings.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting billsfan1104:

Because maybe God is telling them they are not training hard enough or need to train better. And if they do better training or do better in life, he will bless them with a win.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting billsfan1104:

I do believe that he does choose. Because we learn lessons from everything. Maybe he is trying to teach the loser to be a good sport, or to train differently or whatever.

Quoting romalove:

Quoting billsfan1104:

I don't know how he decides. But I do believe there is a reason for everything, and we don't know those reasons.

Quoting romalove:

I often wonder.....if two people are competing against each other and both are praying to God for assistance, one is obviously going to win and one is obviously going to lose, how does God decide who gets the victory?  And how does the person who loses, having prayed as much as the one who wins, process that information on where they stand with God?  Especially if the other person praises God for being good to them?

Do you think that God is who decides who wins or loses in the situation I described?

If God is choosing who wins or loses, why should anyone determine that they need to train differently or better?

Maybe it's not about you but the other person needing to learn how to be a good winner

Since God hasn't told anyone "why" the decisions are as they are, and since we don't know the lessons to take from them, how well meaning can the lessons be?

I am glad your friend was able to do something good, to find a silver lining in a horrible tragedy.

When I say these things make zero sense to me, it's because they aren't logical.  I understand that you believe them, and I am not trying to make you not believe them.

billsfan1104
by Jules on Nov. 7, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Hank you. I am trying. I guess my belie is that it doesn't have to make sense. It's just faith that some of us have and we it will not always make "sense"

I hope you don't think, I thought you were trying to make me not believe or have my beliefs, because I don't believe that at all

Quoting romalove:

Quoting billsfan1104:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting billsfan1104:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting billsfan1104:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting billsfan1104:

Quoting romalove:

Quoting billsfan1104:

Quoting romalove:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)