Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Kentucky cross country runner pulls out of regional championships rather than run with bib number ’666′

Posted by   + Show Post

As reported in depth by Lexington NBC affiliate LEX18, Whitley County High (Whitley County, Kent.) cross country runner Codie Thacker voluntarily forfeited her spot in a regional championship race after her coach drew bib number 666 for the runner. Thacker and her coach argued that she should be allowed to switch her number, but race officials refused the request.

Kentucky cross country runner pulls out of regional championships rather than run with bib number ’666′

In one of the strangest cases of purported religious beliefs intersecting with athletic performance, a Kentucky junior cross country runner voluntarily walked away from a chance to qualify for the state meet to avoid running with the bib number "666", which she said conflicted with her Christian beliefs.

Those officials would later deny that Thacker claimed she needed to change bib numbers for religious reasons, though the junior insists she was explicit about her motivation. To her, running with the number 666 on her chest would have signified a serious breach in her faith.

"I didn't want to risk my relationship with God and try to take that number," Thacker told LEX18. "I told them to mark out my name because it makes me sick just thinking that my name is associated with that number."

The result was a third straight season where the cross country runner has fallen just short of the state meet, even though she had aggressively trained for the regional championship race since June. Thacker had hoped to earn headlines for her performance on the trails. Now she's getting attention for something else entirely.

Perhaps the only person who wasn't stunned by Thacker's exit from the regional meet was her coach, Gina Croley, who was the first person to see the number assigned to the runner.

"I saw it and I was like, 'whoa,'" she said. "I don't think she will wear that number."

This is pure idiocy....it's a NUMBER

by on Nov. 6, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Replies (31-40):
pansyprincess
by Silver Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Do any other Christians feel this way?  I mean, I know that 666 is supposed to represent the devil ... but we have lots of Christians on here.  Would you have refused to wear it?  Does it talk about this # in the bible?  Does anyone honestly (if you believe in god) believe that he would forsake you if you ran a race with that bib number?

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 12:46 PM

You can't admit when you are wrong! lol

Called her no names

Believing that wearing a certain number in a marathon with threaten your relationship with God is more brainwashing by idiots

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

Yep

Your manners about children just ooze from you.

Have a good day insulting a child.  I need to get the turkey roast in the crockpot and then go shopping for costumes.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

I didn't call HER Looney Tunes

However the people that taught her this ARE and she will be too if she doesn't realize it eventually

Wearing a number doesn't mean you are worshipping it and the Devil

all kinds of STUPID

1Giovanni
by Becca on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes i would refuse to wear the number. The thing is I am not a Bible believer any more. I am christian but I just don't believe the bible is gods word. The thing is that there is some things in the bible was pushed in my head as a child I can't shake it. One of those things is 666. .

Quoting pansyprincess:

Do any other Christians feel this way?  I mean, I know that 666 is supposed to represent the devil ... but we have lots of Christians on here.  Would you have refused to wear it?  Does it talk about this # in the bible?  Does anyone honestly (if you believe in god) believe that he would forsake you if you ran a race with that bib number?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting lga1965:

If thinking anyone believes in that 666 thing, and I call them "loony toon", it's not going to make me feel better than they are.
Not running because of that number is based on superstition. It's unfortunate that she's letting superstition control her life instead of reality. I feel sorry for her.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

We can think it is silly, we can not believe the way she does.

However, if calling a kiddo silly, looney tunes, idiotic and otherwise proves one is better..............you might want to think again.

Like I said, just another story to bash what some one believes.

Why some one even put this out there, regardless of who did it, is sad.

You can feel sorry for her.  Some how, I don't think she would care one way or the other. *shrug*

She is no more 'looney tunes' than some here who are so fanatical about other areas, such as guns or drugs or heck, even rock n roll. lol

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting pansyprincess:

I would not wear it.  Nor would one of my children.

As for the Bible, it is a book and honestly, I am not certain the words have not been changed so many times any true and actual meaning may have been lost.  It is open to interpretation.  Mine, yours and hers. :)

I don't know if he would forsake me for this or not, any more than any thing else.

I do know I would not feel comfortable wearing the number.  That is enough for me.  What some one else thinks is their business.

Guess I am just a brainwashed looney tune.

ZombieChicken
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:09 PM
While I respect her decision, I don't understand how it would jeopardize her relationship with God.
ZombieChicken
by Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:11 PM
I wouldn't refuse the number.

Quoting pansyprincess:

lizzielouaf
by Gold Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:12 PM

There is an actual phobia, a very long name I don't have committed to memory, of the number 666. I don't think she's looney toon but I do think people should give God more credit for not being petty and having a sense of humor.  I'm certain God would still be with her during her run regardless of the number, IMO.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting pansyprincess:

As for the Bible, it is a book and honestly, I am not certain the words have not been changed so many times any true and actual meaning may have been lost.  It is open to interpretation.  Mine, yours and hers. :)

I don't know if he would forsake me for this or not, any more than any thing else.

I do know I would not feel comfortable wearing the number.  That is enough for me.  What some one else thinks is their business.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I wouldn't be crazy about wearing it and I was born on Friday the 13th. Who wants to have to run state in probably the most negative number for our society. As a high schooler, she would not only have to go against her own misgivings about it but then stand up to people who would look at her negatively for wearing it. 

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Nov. 6, 2013 at 1:17 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting lizzielouaf:

There is an actual phobia, a very long name I don't have committed to memory, of the number 666. I don't think she's looney toon but I do think people should give God more credit for not being petty and having a sense of humor.  I'm certain God would still be with her during her run regardless of the number, IMO.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting pansyprincess:

God may very well be.  I'm pretty certain He would be.

I still would not wear the number.

This was a heavy choice this young girl made.  She has to live with it. 

In high school, my brother threw the discus.  His Sophomore year he drew the number.  He refused it.  He is less Christian than I am. lol  He would not wear that number and his reasons were his own.  No one asked for an explanation, no one called the news and he was given another number.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)